Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 29th Sep 16, 7:37 AM
    • 429Posts
    • 30Thanks
    Boohoo
    Sky+ HD/Sky Q options help.
    • 29th Sep 16, 7:37 AM
    Sky+ HD/Sky Q options help. 29th Sep 16 at 7:37 AM
    Hello.

I gave Sky my cancellation request on 14/09/2016 and they offered me 50% off for 10 months but i said no. I got a letter yesterday saying i can have 60% off for 1 year if i accept by 03/10/2016.
    My setup now is Sky +HD box is downstairs and then 2 coax leads on magic eyes go to 2 tv in upstairs bedrooms. I have a lodger staying with us who uses a freesat box that uses 1 sat cable from the dish. He normally stays for the week but sometimes it will be the weekend depending if he has overtime.
    Me and my partner work at different times she doesn't always watch the same progs as me so i wait for her to finish watching tv and then its my turn.
    We both record things and a lot of the time i/she will watch it upstairs.
    The question i would like help with is if i take the 60% offer for tv and then ask for multiscreen i think i would only get a non recording box but i want to be able to watch what i record on the upstairs box so she can watch live tv or what was recorded on that box. Also we need to watch 2 live progs at the same time.
    As for Sky Q i was on digitalspy last week and a poster said if you get a good discount and then call back i 2 days and ask about Sky Q they will carry over the discount and you will be able to get a good deal for multiscree also.
    I do know that i will need a hybrid lnb to keep the freesat box working for the lodger.
    Any ideas on what to do about this please would be very helpful and i have variety, sports and cinema and pay £60 per month. I also have Sky fibre and calls but i have 5 months left to run on the min term.
Page 3
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Oct 16, 4:10 PM
    • 5,835 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    teddysmum
    teddysmum - you're talking about a Humax dual tuner freeview box? Yes, you could use that alongside the Sky Q box. No problem there. But the Q box can take, I think, 8 channels - as in watch one, record SEVEN, so doesn't seem necessary! Sky+ and Sky HD+ have 2 feeds from the dish, enabling recording 2 things, or record one, watch one. This has no effect on what's going on with the aerial cable.
    If you're talking about a FreeSAT box - it (and any Sky box except Q) can't use the new LNBs that Sky Q uses - this would mean having 2 dishes - this is the scenario I would be looking at if I switched to Q.
    Originally posted by almillar

Yes a Humax dual tuner PVR, but the new ones (4000 series) do up to 4 recordings and have Freeview play, which Richer Sounds advised me is a sort of upgrade of Youview.

My point was that, if someone only wanted Q for the extra recording facility, using a new version or even older Humax, with their current Sky box, as mentioned, would be a cheaper option, especially as you don't keep the Q box when unsubscribed.

I realise that you couldn't use a Freesat box with the Sky box, as they have the same feed, but having never had the need, until now (Sky off but box in situ), wondered if using the Freeview PVR would work. (Thought it would , but I may have been missing something).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

272Posts Today

1,712Users online

Martin's Twitter