Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 29th Sep 16, 7:37 AM
    • 429Posts
    • 30Thanks
    Boohoo
    Sky+ HD/Sky Q options help.
    • 29th Sep 16, 7:37 AM
    Sky+ HD/Sky Q options help. 29th Sep 16 at 7:37 AM
    Hello.

I gave Sky my cancellation request on 14/09/2016 and they offered me 50% off for 10 months but i said no. I got a letter yesterday saying i can have 60% off for 1 year if i accept by 03/10/2016.
    My setup now is Sky +HD box is downstairs and then 2 coax leads on magic eyes go to 2 tv in upstairs bedrooms. I have a lodger staying with us who uses a freesat box that uses 1 sat cable from the dish. He normally stays for the week but sometimes it will be the weekend depending if he has overtime.
    Me and my partner work at different times she doesn't always watch the same progs as me so i wait for her to finish watching tv and then its my turn.
    We both record things and a lot of the time i/she will watch it upstairs.
    The question i would like help with is if i take the 60% offer for tv and then ask for multiscreen i think i would only get a non recording box but i want to be able to watch what i record on the upstairs box so she can watch live tv or what was recorded on that box. Also we need to watch 2 live progs at the same time.
    As for Sky Q i was on digitalspy last week and a poster said if you get a good discount and then call back i 2 days and ask about Sky Q they will carry over the discount and you will be able to get a good deal for multiscree also.
    I do know that i will need a hybrid lnb to keep the freesat box working for the lodger.
    Any ideas on what to do about this please would be very helpful and i have variety, sports and cinema and pay £60 per month. I also have Sky fibre and calls but i have 5 months left to run on the min term.
Page 2
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 9th Oct 16, 10:16 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Boohoo
    Yesterday i went onto MySky and there was a 60% off discount for me to keep my tv and not carry on with the cancellation.
    Today i had a live chat and said about the offer and the rep said that offer is/was never meant to be on my or anybody elses account as there was a technical fault with the Sky accounts being offered this 60% and i am not the only person who has tried to claim this offer.
    I was offered 50% off on a 1 year term. I was not offered credit and as for the multiroom i was told i would have to call Sky to get this working and they still do multiroom but the chat person only deals with keeping Sky tv.
    In a bid to keep me he/she said that when my tv goes off the best i/everybody will get is 30%-35% discount and that is all Sky will offer.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 9th Oct 16, 10:38 AM
    • 814 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Yesterday i went onto MySky and there was a 60% off discount for me to keep my tv and not carry on with the cancellation.
    Today i had a live chat and said about the offer and the rep said that offer is/was never meant to be on my or anybody elses account as there was a technical fault with the Sky accounts being offered this 60% and i am not the only person who has tried to claim this offer.
    I was offered 50% off on a 1 year term. I was not offered credit and as for the multiroom i was told i would have to call Sky to get this working and they still do multiroom but the chat person only deals with keeping Sky tv.
    In a bid to keep me he/she said that when my tv goes off the best i/everybody will get is 30%-35% discount and that is all Sky will offer.
    Originally posted by Boohoo
    You need to go through with the cancellation got the best deal.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 9th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Boohoo
    You need to go through with the cancellation got the best deal.

I know that is where the best deals will come after the cut-off date but when i saw 60% off i thought it was a good deal as the day my Sky goes off i will not be around as away for 9 days and i will be recording 50 hours worth of tv but if no Sky active then it will not record as i will have no sub.
    As for the wrong discount there lots of people on here, digitalspy and Sky forum saying their ofers are changing daily and are not the same on tv/app/account at the same time so Sky have a major issue with this "technical fault".
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 9th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 2,157 Posts
    • 17,234 Thanks
    mije1983
    There are often differences in the deal offered across TV/app/website. I don't think this is a 'fault'.

Was there not an option to activate the offer directly from My Sky without the need to talk to anyone? I'm sure there was for me when I was in my cancellation period a while back.

Failing that, just try again and talk to someone else.

• Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 9th Oct 16, 3:53 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Boohoo
    There are often differences in the deal offered across TV/app/website. I don't think this is a 'fault'.

Was there not an option to activate the offer directly from My Sky without the need to talk to anyone? I'm sure there was for me when I was in my cancellation period a while back.

Failing that, just try again and talk to someone else.
    There was a redeem now button which i clicked but up came "ooops there is a problem call or chat" or words like that. I wanted to find out about i Sky still did multiroom as in my thread and started the chat as i could do other things on the pc at the same time.
    The person i chatted to said the 60% was an error from Sky and everybody that had that offer showing on tv/app/website will not get it as 50% off is all Sky would offer and they will not apply it to anybody's account.
    Strange thing is after the chat i logged onto my Sky and the 60% offer had changed to 50% and still is showing 50% off.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 9th Oct 16, 6:05 PM
    • 5,812 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    teddysmum
    If enough people refuse the decreasingly appealing offers, Sky will have to have a rethink as its customer base also decreases.

Since 50% for 10 months, the same for 12 months, the 60% off for 12 months, I've had no offers and mine goes off mid this week.

I no longer care and may treat myself to an annual online games package, which is cheaper.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 10th Oct 16, 12:12 PM
    • 4,013 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    brewerdave
    ...Just had a letter from Sky - here's hopin' ,I thought - but no, just 50% off for 10 months for 12 month contract, valid til next Monday - with full price HD Sports pack.
    Still got another18 days to switch off tho'.
    EDIT -Just rec'd a phone call - only improvement that she was prepared to offer on the above was 50% for 10 months with no contract, so could cancel again in August. I asked about a "sweetener" ie a credit to pull the cost down to nearer what I've had for the last 12 months but not available at all(if you believe her!!)
    Last edited by brewerdave; 10-10-2016 at 2:17 PM.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 10th Oct 16, 2:46 PM
    • 5,812 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    teddysmum
    ...Just had a letter from Sky - here's hopin' ,I thought - but no, just 50% off for 10 months for 12 month contract, valid til next Monday - with full price HD Sports pack.
    Still got another18 days to switch off tho'.
    EDIT -Just rec'd a phone call - only improvement that she was prepared to offer on the above was 50% for 10 months with no contract, so could cancel again in August. I asked about a "sweetener" ie a credit to pull the cost down to nearer what I've had for the last 12 months but not available at all(if you believe her!!)
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    They are being mean this year, especially with communications , so my tv will be staying off (when it goes on Thursday) and phone etc has going to PlusNet, next week.
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 16th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Boohoo
    I have posted on the sky haggling thread earlier.
    I went on chat this morning and i took 60% off tv and a small credit to account which i was ok with.
    As for multiroom i was told i would have to call/chat as she would only deal with reconnections and that is all.
    I am still not sure about sky Q as on sky's comminity forum there are lots of people having issues and they all seem to get different set-up cost/prices when getting Q installed.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 16th Oct 16, 3:31 PM
    • 5,812 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I have posted on the sky haggling thread earlier.
    I went on chat this morning and i took 60% off tv and a small credit to account which i was ok with.
    As for multiroom i was told i would have to call/chat as she would only deal with reconnections and that is all.
    I am still not sure about sky Q as on sky's comminity forum there are lots of people having issues and they all seem to get different set-up cost/prices when getting Q installed.
    Originally posted by Boohoo

A benefit is that, as they own the Q box, you should get a faulty one replaced, free of charge, but when you unsubscribe the box goes back, so you can't keep it to view the free channels, as you can with the Sky+ box.
    • Gavgooner
    • By Gavgooner 17th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gavgooner
    It will cost me £297 for skyQ for 3 boxes! For a new customer it would cost £159! Also they could get a £25 voucher! Looks like I will have to cancel & join as new customer!
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th Oct 16, 5:01 PM
    • 5,812 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    teddysmum
    It will cost me £297 for skyQ for 3 boxes! For a new customer it would cost £159! Also they could get a £25 voucher! Looks like I will have to cancel & join as new customer!
    Originally posted by Gavgooner

How will you get around not being considered to be a new customer until you have been away for 12 months ?
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 17th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Boohoo
    After having my tv turned on yesterday i thought i would have a go at getting multiroom added.
    Went onto chat and explained and the person said that it would cost £60 setup, £12 a month and i gett all these great things i can do with it and its reduced from £199 a bargain.
    I said i want Sky + HD box added to my one box i have and the reply all about Q.
    Explained i have a box, just want it added to main sub, reply was i can do it for £50 and still the same as above.
    Told them again i have a box and the reply was i should pay £149 but i can have a Sky +HD for £109. Told them again i just want multiroom added and he said £12 a month so i though great were getting somewhere and after taking my details again and 16 mins later i was told that he/she cant do it and i will have to call Sky.
    After i calmed down i called and Sky have a major problem and staffing levels were well below normal and call back if not urgent. I stayed on amd after 10 mins explained it all and she then tried to sell me Q for £45 all in but i said i just want multiroom and was told wrong department.
    Passed to another rep and explained it all and was told a new card will be sent out and on activation the multiroom sub wil start.
    I mention about multiroom and he said no they are still doing it fro Sky +HD existing customers for a few months at least. I said about the different prices for Q and he said the chat people never seem to quote the same prices si its pot luck on what price you are offered.
    Well thats me sorted for another year but i am still not sure about Sky Q. I will see what happens in 6 months.
    • Gavgooner
    • By Gavgooner 17th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gavgooner
    Just put a different name as new customer
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    • 5,812 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Just put a different name as new customer
    Originally posted by Gavgooner

The made up name or that of someone at the address ? Would payment come out of the same bank account ?

If what you are suggesting was easy, (nearly) everyone would be doing it .
    • keith1950
    • By keith1950 18th Oct 16, 5:59 AM
    • 2,395 Posts
    • 1,061 Thanks
    keith1950
    Boohoo......why do you need to contact sky through human contact. Just go through your online account and let the computer system tell you the actual price.
    Sky are dropping the sky+HD box and not installing them anymore. As far as sky is concerned Q is the future and I have to say that the new box is a lot faster, ensures you don't get anymore clashed program messages and the mini box works seamlessly.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 18th Oct 16, 9:06 AM
    • 4,013 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Boohoo......why do you need to contact sky through human contact. Just go through your online account and let the computer system tell you the actual price.
    Sky are dropping the sky+HD box and not installing them anymore. As far as sky is concerned Q is the future and I have to say that the new box is a lot faster, ensures you don't get anymore clashed program messages and the mini box works seamlessly.
    Originally posted by keith1950
    ...and more expensive (= more profit) and much more difficult to negotiate round because the equipment is loaned - also no going back to "old" style box because the LNB is incompatible
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 18th Oct 16, 10:12 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Boohoo
    keith1950 if you read my post No.33 i am on about Sky +HD boxes and not Sky Q.
    I started this as i got another +HD box and neede to know what my options were as Sky were/have done away with the Sky +HD box installs and there were people saying that +HD multiroom will be no more unless you get Sky Q.
    Not sure if you misunderstood my last post but i got reconnected to my Sky +HD sub after the tv was turned off and i wanted to add another +HD box upstairs.
    As for doing that through my account there was not an option for that as it only gave me multiscreen which was all about the Sky Q box and i did not want to order that £12 extra pm and find out that it's not for my Sky +HD box.
    I hope that clears a few things up.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Oct 16, 10:29 AM
    • 5,812 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    teddysmum
    ...and more expensive (= more profit) and much more difficult to negotiate round because the equipment is loaned - also no going back to "old" style box because the LNB is incompatible
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    ...and no free satellite channels via the box after you cancel the contract.

Humax now have a box which records 4 programmes at once (for those who want to record a lot but don't want to pay for Sky), as well as having the advanced version of Youview, but I wonder whether you can use an old Humax dual channel as well as a Sky box, recording Freeview channels via the aerial and watching live via the Sky box. (It should work as the Sky box would feed the tv live and the aerial would feed the Humax, assuming your tv has enough HDMI sockets ?)
    • almillar
    • By almillar 18th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    • 6,503 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    almillar
    teddysmum - you're talking about a Humax dual tuner freeview box? Yes, you could use that alongside the Sky Q box. No problem there. But the Q box can take, I think, 8 channels - as in watch one, record SEVEN, so doesn't seem necessary! Sky+ and Sky HD+ have 2 feeds from the dish, enabling recording 2 things, or record one, watch one. This has no effect on what's going on with the aerial cable.
    If you're talking about a FreeSAT box - it (and any Sky box except Q) can't use the new LNBs that Sky Q uses - this would mean having 2 dishes - this is the scenario I would be looking at if I switched to Q.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

2,186Users online

Martin's Twitter