Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 29th Sep 16, 12:59 AM
    • 1,644Posts
    • 16,601Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST October Finding Your Inner ferret
    • 29th Sep 16, 12:59 AM
    NST October Finding Your Inner ferret 29th Sep 16 at 12:59 AM
    NST OCTOBER; Finding your Inner Ferret
    NST Challenge: October Finding Your Inner Ferret

Turtles are tough. Turtle rules are tough but they work. When you start your turtle journey the rules can feel overwhelming but they all help on the journey to debt freedom. The more rules you can keep the sooner you will achieve your goals – most turtles start by tackling debt but many are now saving to get on the property ladder, to achieve mortgage free status, to retire early or to live well on a small income.

All the usual rules (see below) will remain in place this month. However if you need to adapt a particular rule to suit for health or lifestyle reasons this is acceptable. That is lifestyle as in my car is broken, I need to carry all the shopping home so buy small amounts frequently not I want to have six takeaways a week and still pay off my debts/ save money. Commit to following all the rules. If you don't manage all of them all the time we will help and support you – No Turtle gets left behind.

Tackling debt can be a long hard slog and some turtles (including this one) have been struggling recently. Therefore the aim this month alongside savings/ reducing debt is to have some fun. This month we will be Finding Our Inner Ferret.

Ferrets sleep for between 14 and 18 hours a day. Oh bliss. Not practical for most of us but try to get enough sleep. Make your bedroom a comfortable haven. Despite being awake for only a few hours the average ferret is active enough to maintain a sleek profile. We will aim to get outside every day. Sunshine is in short supply so get as much as you can. If you go to work and come home in the dark, can you go for at short walk at lunch.

Planning and preparation are needed. Think ahead, budget, work out what is needed. This leaves more time for fun and if you can, do it without spending or have a low spend. This month I will be including a weekly planning and preparation target.

Ferrets are curious. I want you all to commit to learning something new this month – it doesn't have to be degree level, try a new craft, cook something you always thought was difficult or learn something practical. Investigate new ways of making extra cash.

Finally (random rule alert) one of the ferret's distinctive features is the Victory Dance. We will be celebrating our achievements and successes and not dwelling on 'things we have left undone'. If your to do list is worrying you, simplify it. Write down a list of what you have done. Find things to be grateful for each day (no need to write them here if you don't want to) and think about something you have achieved. Then do your Ferret Victory Dance. It's okay to do it behind closed doors.

If any of you think you have done nothing worthy of celebration, I must tell you that my recent 'achievements' include going to my weekly counselling and craft sessions and on really bad days, getting out of bed and having a bath.

The Challenge Rules:
    • The Challenge will commence on the 1st October @ 00:00 and end on the 31st October @ 23:59.
    • Kat Essentials
    • Set your DFD (Debt Free Day)
    • You will pay towards your debt / savings FIRST and live on what’s left. Choose the amount now.
    • Set all budgets before the start of the month, think ahead for any birthdays, outings etc.
    • Random Rule for September Celebrate your achievements with a Victory dance
    • Other Rules
    • Aim for 15 SFD (Spend Free day or No Spend day)
    • Extra cash – share any ideas which work, trawl the other threads for something you haven't tried recently.
    • Learn something new (might be fun)
    • Weekly mini challenge (details in later post)
    • Food budget should be set realistically (ideally at same level as last month or lower unless you have extra mouths to feed). Base your purchases around basics range and yellow stickered items.
    • You will NOT use any of the following; restaurants, cafes, work canteens, vending machines, takeaways ( yes really), Starbucks, Costa, Nero or any other chain cafe!
    • Lunch to work everyday and plan for appointments and days out (last chance for picnics and bbqs).
    • Travel budget – petrol or public transport for work, leisure, hospital appointments. Can you walk/cycle? Can you combine journeys – shopping/ work/ gym?
    • Any other regular budgets – children's activities etc.
    • Healthy eating – up your fruit and veg. If you are already getting your 5 a day (if not why not?) go for 7. Will make you feel better (especially if free or ys) and may help ward off all those annoying bugs which come with the changing seasons.
    • Make a food bank donation (3 items or £3) or alternative charity if preferred
    • Exercise 5 times a week, newbies and poorlies start with 10 minutes a day, get outdoors wherever possible.
    • Regular check ins – daily if possible.
    So who's up for it.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy. 2016 Be Healthy, Be Happy, Have more fun.NST Nov#12 SFD 2/20 Budget Food£12.56/£80 (stretch £60) Transport £0/£20.Ext £0/ £10 Clutter free 1877/5050. 3-6 Month EF completed 28/01/16 Weight loss 11lb
    Mortgage Free since5.1 1982 Debt Free 11/015/2016
Page 16
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th Oct 16, 9:05 AM
    • 915 Posts
    • 7,130 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning Turtles.

Managed 1 NSD over the weekend, which I'll take. Only because I felt a bit sorry for myself after a few shandys on Saturday. That laziness meant I didn't make lunch for today either, so today won't be a NSD. Poor show.

Back it tomorrow after some exercise and a healthy dinner. I'll tackle my book again tonight too but I'm finding it hard to get into. Persevere.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    Savings Target by June '17 = £1,350/£4,000
    NSD (18/20)
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 17th Oct 16, 10:27 AM
    • 7,966 Posts
    • 51,192 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Morning All

Aiming for a NSD but may need nappies. I should have enough points for a pack at Mr S £3 Little Ones anyway. It's the last week before payday for us so funds are extremely tight. I have to make each day count this week.

Have BLTs for lunch and chicken pasta with leftover roast veg for dinner so foods all sorted.

Have a good day all.

Bob
    £800 to pay =70% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 December £0.17 2016-£55.16 2015- £84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 £2,227.06 2015 £1027.20
    NST December
    PAYDBX #7 £1890.53/£2,700 (70%)
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 17th Oct 16, 10:37 AM
    • 2,965 Posts
    • 27,557 Thanks
    dolly84
    x_raphael - well done on your race. I don't eat KitKats anymore, the chocolate isn't all melty and lovely like it used to be, now I find it all brittle and tasteless, I googled it and apparently they have made it low fat.

Bob - it is the week before payday here too, always a fun week.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 17th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 15,171 Thanks
    Calling14
    Hi Turtles another Monday, been a bit rubbish with eating over the weekend and getting on the scales this morning eek it shows. Healthy eating this week except for a little blip on Weds for birthday meal out.

Good news managed a whole 2 SFD woo hoo. Total 10/15 SFD very pleased with that.
    Made my xmas cake yesterday and the eggs even for large were exceptional - result a cake which ended up taking nearly 6 hrs to cook. Springy so hopefully its okay, should have added more flour in hindsight or just used 3 eggs. Sure it will get eaten anyway.

Didn't do a lot Saturday dd struggling with pregnancy her ribs hurt when sitting, not comfortable walking - can't see her lasting another 8 weeks. Trip to park, feed ducks and gs made a friend. Nice and sunny as well.

Yesterday beach walk with friend and her doggie. Surprised how nice it was.

Cleaned out the kitchen drawer finally from last months challenge.

Love this weeks mini challenge.
    I love going home from work making a coffee and sitting corner of my garden- suntrap whilst the bunny comes out and jumps around, stands on his hind legs for me to stroke him. Really cheers me up and makes me smile.

Booked a hair appt as starting to look like animal from the muppets.

Dolly congrats to your son.

Mothernerd hope you feel better soon.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now 4025.00 17/11/16
    EFund #9 £110/£1,000 Saving xmas2016 #22 36/366
    PAYDBX 2016 #16 3260/6947.00 3687 to go
    #13 1debt v 100 days no24 381.27/1199.80 818.53 togo
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 17th Oct 16, 11:44 AM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 22,084 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Just a quick hello. Back to work after a week off and away. Spent too much but had a great time. Will need to type in my receipts into excel to find out the total damage.

Plus DD (2.5) finally decided she doesn't want nappies anymore but her big brother's pants instead, Fine with me, whatever works. So far so good, even at night time. So that'll save some money at least.

Hope everybody is ok. Will prob take me a while to catch up on posts.
    NST NOvember no.1
    SFD 0/12 spend GC 34/580 OTHER 9/50 Exercise 0/10
    Debt - all 0% 2069 to go from 5290 (60% paid off)
    DFD 04/2017
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 17th Oct 16, 12:30 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 10,230 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Outdoors: yesterday my parents enforced 'Sunday is a day of rest' and told me to sit in the garden and soak up the sunshine. Dds had a friend over and played outside, as well. Enjoyed homegrown grapes again, and a raspberry!
    Exercise: cycled dds to school this morning.
    treat: hm custard for dessert yesterday.
    Extra cash: I received the moneys from 2 free-after-rebate products, toothpaste and JFrieda Frizzease. Further, I had saved up all our healthcare bills, to send them in this month, when dh is not there and will only make half his salary in Oct and Nov. In Belgium, in general, you pay first, and then send the invoice to the health insurance company to get reimbursed, usually up to about 80%.
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.110,70 = £ 2,743.95 (it fluctuates with the exchange rate; I won't update it if it's going down ).
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 17th Oct 16, 1:40 PM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 24,272 Thanks
    XSpender
    Hello Turtles/Ferrets

I started my new role last week so have lost count on some of my targets and have estimated as best I can. The monies spent are right though, thanks to YNAB.

Get Outside Everyday 13?/30 – Lost count
    Food Budget £500 (£400 stretch)/£272.70 – I was away most of last week and the cupboards are bare and need filling up. This includes takeaway sandwiches for DH and I and a naughty Chinese after a 5 hour car journey at the end of a busy week. Planning to shop at Aldi this week and am feeling positive about the amount left.
    Half Term and Entertainment Budget £100/£29 happy hour meal out with friends, coffee and sandwich for DH watching DS rugby
    Miscellaneous Budget £100/£121.87 - Gone over but £21 is due back next month in expenses
    Learn something new (proper press up) – I haven’t done these in a while now but will start again this week
    Lunch to work 10/18 – I don’t think DH took lunch once last week but used his own money all but one day to pay for it so am adding them on He’s forgotten the lunch I made him again today
    SFD 2/15 – I have lost count but don’t think I have had any more than 2
    5 a day F &V 1/30 – Still not good enough but I am working from home this week and off for half term week so planning to have a fresh start and get some batch cooking done
    Exercise 5/week 13/20 – Lost count a bit here too but did 2 PT session a run and a dog walk last week and 10,000 steps most days. PT session tonight included in total.
    Make some money £250/£83.74 – I still haven’t posted off my phone!

I have spent what feels like a huge sum of money this weekend on materials for our kitchen refurbishment and some lights and art for our sitting room! The good news is I rearranged DS room and am so pleased with it we may hold off his redecoration until after Christmas which will save us some money this year.
    OCT GC £533.49/£500 Nov £187.24/£360 (52%)

MFiT #36 Goal £30,000
    2016 mfw #13 £20,000 58.6%
    Save £12k in 2016 #89 Target £5000 41.7%
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 17th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    • 7,966 Posts
    • 51,192 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Good one Thrifty well done to DD.
    £800 to pay =70% repaid
    NST December
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 17th Oct 16, 9:59 PM
    • 1,644 Posts
    • 16,601 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Today I am grateful for a beautiful rainbow and then a double rainbow, water to drink and being crafty.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy. 2016 Be Healthy, Be Happy, Have more fun.NST Nov#12 SFD 2/20 Budget Food£12.56/£80 (stretch £60) Transport £0/£20.Ext £0/ £10 Clutter free 1877/5050. 3-6 Month EF completed 28/01/16 Weight loss 11lb
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 18th Oct 16, 7:06 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 6,709 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Morning. NSD yesterday but I've lost track.

Need a b-day card today, and some milk, so will check fridge to avoid needing to spend tomorrow.

Chimney sweep cancelled, and I can't see the door being delivered today (new back door without burglar hole), as our road is closed, and the detour is a nightmare.

Got some paid work I MUST do. Then quick trip to Milngavie and the gym. Running club tonight.

Just ordered a new bread maker online. Pick up from Mr T tomorrow. . Lots of snazzy new settings I probably won't use, but it has a collapsible paddle. I hope it works, it will make sandwiches much easier.

Have a great day everyone.
    GC

To 30/11/16 £3043.78/£3,300, 92/91% of the year (from Feb).
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 18th Oct 16, 8:54 AM
    • 915 Posts
    • 7,130 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

As I admitted, yesterday wasn't a NSD as I needed to buy lunch. However I made lunch for today, so back on the gravy train. Although....I've just remembered I need to buy some ingredients for a pudding I'm making. Damn!!!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    Savings Target by June '17 = £1,350/£4,000
    NSD (18/20)
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 18th Oct 16, 1:01 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 22,084 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Hello,

another SFD today (just bought cold meds), lunch to work and made it to the gym again (despite cold, more a token session just so I went rather than breaking the run).

Going to have a giant baked brie for dinner tonight. Will also make chicken pesto pasta but I think most of that will go towards lunches tomorrow.

That's all for now
    NST NOvember no.1
    SFD 0/12 spend GC 34/580 OTHER 9/50 Exercise 0/10
    Debt - all 0% 2069 to go from 5290 (60% paid off)
    DFD 04/2017
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 18th Oct 16, 2:11 PM
    • 7,966 Posts
    • 51,192 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hi All

Just back from the dentist's. Son is absolutely fine. He was slightly concerned about his 2 teeth that are coming in either side of his big top front teeth but the dentist said he's happy with the development and by the time his canines come in age 9 they should straighten them. In any case they can only refer children for braces between 12 and 14.

My own visit was free due to maternity exemption. They did my x-rays though and the one filling I have needs to be replaced with an inlay. For that I will need to go back on another day and have an injection etc to numb the area. I'm hoping to go next week when OH is off work as I don't want to go through bringing the children with me again.

My missing cheques are still missing. Very annoying as that £55 would be very handy right now. I rang the solicitors and text my friend to ask both to reissue. So that's that now.

DD was sent a late birthday gift today which I'd been advised to expect. A lovely silver baby bracelet. So that was nice to come home too.

Bob
    £800 to pay =70% repaid
    NST December
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 18th Oct 16, 2:35 PM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 15,171 Thanks
    Calling14
    Nothing much to report claiming a SFD today.

Yesterday spent on milk and nice curry ended up in my basket. 2.50 spend in total.

Exercise is coming to a stop walking yesterday very painful with knee problems. Will try small one on the flat when I get home, like to get outside no matter what the weather is. Very blustery here today will test my new fence out

Brought eggs to work so had scrambled eggs for lunch. Need to up my iron levels so tired lately. No idea what to make for tea, heaps of parsnips carrots may roast them and have a fish with it. Leftovers can be thrown in a soup.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now 4025.00 17/11/16
    EFund #9 £110/£1,000 Saving xmas2016 #22 36/366
    PAYDBX 2016 #16 3260/6947.00 3687 to go
    #13 1debt v 100 days no24 381.27/1199.80 818.53 togo
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 18th Oct 16, 3:19 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 10,230 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Exercise/outdoors: cycled dds to school
    Vending machine: narrow escape! Promised myself I could have a chocolate bar from the vending machine if I had the change in my wallet. I didn't! I will get a hot chocolate with extra caramel flavouring from the machine at Reception, which is free
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.110,70 = £ 2,743.95 (it fluctuates with the exchange rate; I won't update it if it's going down ).
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 18th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    18 October

Hello Everyone

I didn't manage to post yesterday as we received the very sad news that C's sister's condition has deteriorated considerably and she is now very ill. Regrettably I am abandoning my challenges for the time being. It is a very small family unit- just C and his two brothers (no other relatives at all) so it's a very difficult time for us. I'll be back when it's possible.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 18th Oct 16, 8:16 PM
    • 3,620 Posts
    • 18,083 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    So sorry to hear your sad news Toni'sfriend - take as long as you need. We will all be hear sending hugs and positive thoughts and you, your partner and family ((( )))

Sat was a spend day as got food shopping.
    Sun we went to an Apple Day to get our apples ID'd - brought some cyclamen ready to pot up my wooden trough by my front door. Also did a brewery tour which was excellent, got a free bottle of beer (well I had cider).
    Mon and today have both been NSD's so that takes me to 8 so far.

I think tomorrow will be a spend as need butter.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 23 for December
    NSD - 1/15
    (up to 1/12/16)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 18th Oct 16, 9:27 PM
    • 5,294 Posts
    • 38,563 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Toni'sfriend - sending you lots of hugs.
    NST Dec #15; NSD 1; 2016 Pay off: £3201/£3980 (80.4%)
    2016 sell 386.75/1000

Mortgage £33,979 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16 39,915) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 18th Oct 16, 10:11 PM
    • 7,966 Posts
    • 51,192 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Sending good wishes Tonisfriend
    £800 to pay =70% repaid
    NST December
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 18th Oct 16, 10:15 PM
    • 1,644 Posts
    • 16,601 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Hugs Toni's friend we will be thinking of you.

Strange day. Lots to do and no motivation, get up and go has got up and went.

Sticking to the 'just because you can't do it all, doesn't mean you can't do some of it', I set off this afternoon to tick a few boxes (books back to the library and printed off some bits, to the archives to order a newspaper article, paid money into business account at the General). Visited 6 places and got soaking wet.

Rested for an hour and called for a taxi to get me to the doctor's. Not even worth putting my cagoule back on. Was back to trailing along the walls at the doctor's. I now have anti-biotics on top of other medication. Taxi home, binned the pizza boxes and made DS3 bring the bin bag down and take my bags up. I addded the kitchen rubbish, took the bin to the pick up point, stripped off the wet clothes and crawled back into bed.

Today I am grateful for helpful people including taxi drivers, for foods that don't irritate my throat and for being able to use my favourite toilet at the infirmary. Claiming a NSD for Saturday as DS1 gave me back the money for collecting his parcel and that was the only thing I spent money on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,789Posts Today

6,532Users online

Martin's Twitter