Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 29th Sep 16, 12:59 AM
    • 1,647Posts
    • 16,650Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST October Finding Your Inner ferret
    • 29th Sep 16, 12:59 AM
    NST October Finding Your Inner ferret 29th Sep 16 at 12:59 AM
    NST OCTOBER; Finding your Inner Ferret
    NST Challenge: October Finding Your Inner Ferret

Turtles are tough. Turtle rules are tough but they work. When you start your turtle journey the rules can feel overwhelming but they all help on the journey to debt freedom. The more rules you can keep the sooner you will achieve your goals – most turtles start by tackling debt but many are now saving to get on the property ladder, to achieve mortgage free status, to retire early or to live well on a small income.

All the usual rules (see below) will remain in place this month. However if you need to adapt a particular rule to suit for health or lifestyle reasons this is acceptable. That is lifestyle as in my car is broken, I need to carry all the shopping home so buy small amounts frequently not I want to have six takeaways a week and still pay off my debts/ save money. Commit to following all the rules. If you don't manage all of them all the time we will help and support you – No Turtle gets left behind.

Tackling debt can be a long hard slog and some turtles (including this one) have been struggling recently. Therefore the aim this month alongside savings/ reducing debt is to have some fun. This month we will be Finding Our Inner Ferret.

Ferrets sleep for between 14 and 18 hours a day. Oh bliss. Not practical for most of us but try to get enough sleep. Make your bedroom a comfortable haven. Despite being awake for only a few hours the average ferret is active enough to maintain a sleek profile. We will aim to get outside every day. Sunshine is in short supply so get as much as you can. If you go to work and come home in the dark, can you go for at short walk at lunch.

Planning and preparation are needed. Think ahead, budget, work out what is needed. This leaves more time for fun and if you can, do it without spending or have a low spend. This month I will be including a weekly planning and preparation target.

Ferrets are curious. I want you all to commit to learning something new this month – it doesn't have to be degree level, try a new craft, cook something you always thought was difficult or learn something practical. Investigate new ways of making extra cash.

Finally (random rule alert) one of the ferret's distinctive features is the Victory Dance. We will be celebrating our achievements and successes and not dwelling on 'things we have left undone'. If your to do list is worrying you, simplify it. Write down a list of what you have done. Find things to be grateful for each day (no need to write them here if you don't want to) and think about something you have achieved. Then do your Ferret Victory Dance. It's okay to do it behind closed doors.

If any of you think you have done nothing worthy of celebration, I must tell you that my recent 'achievements' include going to my weekly counselling and craft sessions and on really bad days, getting out of bed and having a bath.

The Challenge Rules:
    • The Challenge will commence on the 1st October @ 00:00 and end on the 31st October @ 23:59.
    • Kat Essentials
    • Set your DFD (Debt Free Day)
    • You will pay towards your debt / savings FIRST and live on what’s left. Choose the amount now.
    • Set all budgets before the start of the month, think ahead for any birthdays, outings etc.
    • Random Rule for September Celebrate your achievements with a Victory dance
    • Other Rules
    • Aim for 15 SFD (Spend Free day or No Spend day)
    • Extra cash – share any ideas which work, trawl the other threads for something you haven't tried recently.
    • Learn something new (might be fun)
    • Weekly mini challenge (details in later post)
    • Food budget should be set realistically (ideally at same level as last month or lower unless you have extra mouths to feed). Base your purchases around basics range and yellow stickered items.
    • You will NOT use any of the following; restaurants, cafes, work canteens, vending machines, takeaways ( yes really), Starbucks, Costa, Nero or any other chain cafe!
    • Lunch to work everyday and plan for appointments and days out (last chance for picnics and bbqs).
    • Travel budget – petrol or public transport for work, leisure, hospital appointments. Can you walk/cycle? Can you combine journeys – shopping/ work/ gym?
    • Any other regular budgets – children's activities etc.
    • Healthy eating – up your fruit and veg. If you are already getting your 5 a day (if not why not?) go for 7. Will make you feel better (especially if free or ys) and may help ward off all those annoying bugs which come with the changing seasons.
    • Make a food bank donation (3 items or £3) or alternative charity if preferred
    • Exercise 5 times a week, newbies and poorlies start with 10 minutes a day, get outdoors wherever possible.
    • Regular check ins – daily if possible.
    So who's up for it.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy. 2016 Be Healthy, Be Happy, Have more fun.NST Nov#12 SFD 3/20 Budget Food£31.43/£80 (stretch £60) Transport £0/£20.Ext £0/ £10 Clutter free 1921/5050. 3-6 Month EF completed 28/01/16 Weight loss 11lb
    Mortgage Free since5.1 1982 Debt Free 11/015/2016
Page 15
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 15th Oct 16, 1:08 PM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 18,127 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Surveys - I am signed up to loads of survey sites.

The best for not being screened out is YouGov - a lot of their surveys are about politics and current affairs and are actually really interesting. Only downside is you have to get to £50 before they payout, I used to achieve this every 2 years but more recently I have made more effort to do surveys and did my last one in a year. someone posted on their thread that they had religiously done every survey and they have got there in less than 6 months.

Not sure if this is allowed but if you would like a referral link let me know - I get 200 points (£2) for each sign up.

I also like MySurveys but you do get screened out sometimes, their payout levels are low and you can usually reach payout in less than 3 weeks. Either Amazon or Paypal.

If you want a more comprehensive list I can give you one!!
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 23 for December
    NSD - 1/15
    (up to 1/12/16)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 15th Oct 16, 1:34 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Thanks EE. I thought I had already registered for Yougov but it's not letting me log in so if you let me have the referral link I'll try again. I'll try My Survey as well. I'll keep on trying. See what happens.
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 15th Oct 16, 1:36 PM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 21,486 Thanks
    Fmess
    Hi all,

Having a day at home today and will only venture out to walk the dogs later. I've signed back up to swagbucks and done some surveys this morning although I mostly get screened out Thought I should do it as it's half term in a week and I can do surveys sat on my sofa in my pjs.

I've tidied the garden, cut back the fuscia and picked up all the branches that wouldn't fit it my brown bin two weeks ago. I'll now the lawn for the last time when I'm off on half term. I've also baked some little fairy cakes to stop me going to the shops and preserve a SFD Just the housework to do now but I've already cleaned the kitchen and done two loads of washing

Hope it's sunny where everyone else is, it was so murky until about an hour ago and now it's blue skies
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 £799.99 (94.0% cleared) DFD = Jan 2017

Dec NST #24 SFD 0/15 Food 72/80 Personal 144.30/300 Petrol 0/80

POAYDI2016 #08 £5229.01/£6029 86.7%

• Fmess
    • By Fmess 15th Oct 16, 1:37 PM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 21,486 Thanks
    Fmess
    EE I'm going to sign up to yougov too if you want me to use your referral link too

• Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 15th Oct 16, 5:03 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    15 October

Hi Everyone

Went for a walk to get some fresh air. Whilst we were out went to chemist to buy something to help with C's cough/cold. Came out with something for day time and something for bedtime and £12.98 poorer. Can't believe how expensive over the counter medicine is.

Was supposed to be a NSD the the chemist trip put paid to that. Not doing very well with this.

Have to confess that I had a few plain biscuits with my many cups of tea. Well, at least they weren't chocolate. Otherwise still keeping up with the fruit and veg and not drinking alcohol.

Another early night with my book I think.

Thanks to everyone with their advice re surveys.

Have a relaxing Sunday tomorrow
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 15th Oct 16, 6:02 PM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 16,650 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Toni's friend Medicine doesn't count, you still have a NSD. If you only buy reduced (ys yellow stickered) items, you still have NSD.
    Last edited by mothernerd; 15-10-2016 at 6:04 PM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy. 2016 Be Healthy, Be Happy, Have more fun.NST Nov#12 SFD 3/20 Budget Food£31.43/£80 (stretch £60) Transport £0/£20.Ext £0/ £10 Clutter free 1921/5050. 3-6 Month EF completed 28/01/16 Weight loss 11lb
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 15th Oct 16, 9:28 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 10,293 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Exercise/outside: I've taken dds to school by car on Thursday and Friday, because dh has left for his mother country for four weeks. My parents arrived yesterday to help out for a fortnight. Already, the house is looking better organised. I have cycled dd1 to and from her horseriding class. She actually fell off her horse and climbed back on; well done dd!
    Nsd: I've lost track, but seem to remember not spending anything Thursday and Friday. Today I had to go shopping for parents' favourite foods, and pay dd1's insurance and 12 lessons. My parents are 80 and 75, and I am really glad they are helping out, so if I can spoil them a bit, I will.
    Social: church spaghetti night to raise funds for church, took dds and parents, paid €52.
    Healthy/5aday: ate two bunches of tiny grapes from own vinestock and a banana. My secret treat on fresh wholegrain bread is real butter and sliced banana
    Dance: enjoyed the sunshine today and soaked up the vitamin D!
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.112,70 = £ 2,743.95 (it fluctuates with the exchange rate; I won't update it if it's going down ).
    • ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 15th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 6,711 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Exercise/outside: I've taken dds to school by car on Thursday and Friday, because dh has left for his mother country for four weeks. My parents arrived yesterday to help out for a fortnight. Already, the house is looking better organised. I have cycled dd1 to and from her horseriding class. She actually fell off her horse and climbed back on; well done dd!
    Nsd: I've lost track, but seem to remember not spending anything Thursday and Friday. Today I had to go shopping for parents' favourite foods, and pay dd1's insurance and 12 lessons. My parents are 80 and 75, and I am really glad they are helping out, so if I can spoil them a bit, I will.
    Social: church spaghetti night to raise funds for church, took dds and parents, paid €52.
    Healthy/5aday: ate two bunches of tiny grapes from own vinestock and a banana. My secret treat on fresh wholegrain bread is real butter and sliced banana
    Dance: enjoyed the sunshine today and soaked up the vitamin D!
    Originally posted by Siebrie
    I quite agree! I like a mashed banana sandwich with real butter on wholemeal bread In fact I think I might have an evening snack...
    Bought our house 2012 Married 2015 Started renovating 2015
    Renovation fund 100% Emergency fund 100% Future fund £2055

"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 15th Oct 16, 9:52 PM
    • 8,004 Posts
    • 51,382 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Siebre Glad you have help with you. It's hard solo parenting for too long.

A good day for me. Worked till 3. Eating left over food from the event for tea.
    Today I am grateful for
    - Feeling cosy inside whilst it rains outside
    - Buying a beautiful candle. It's a Christmas candle which burns for 100 hours. I want to get one for each of the children. We can burn them on the run down to Christmas like much more beautiful advent calendars.
    - My health. A week has passed since the hideous bug we all came down with. I feel strong and well.
    £790 to pay =70% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 December £0.75 2016-£55.16 2015- £84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 £2,230.66 2015 £1027.20
    NST December
    PAYDBX #7 £1910.53/£2,700 (70%)
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 15th Oct 16, 10:30 PM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 16,650 Thanks
    mothernerd
    swimming super swagbucker.

ljaneyr a notebook of achievements is a great idea.

EE I would also like the referral code for YouGov please.

Fmess well done on the gardening and planning ahead.

Siebrie glad you have help whilst OH is away. Banana butties?

Bob so happy you have recovered.

I am better than yesterday but didn't feel inclined to race around. Had a gentle pottering day. I have set off my peas for pea shoots (had them soaking in a jug) and brought in 3 other large mushroom boxes full of coir compost and put them in the windowsills with covers on - trying to warm the soil a bit before planting. Bought 2 10p flat parsley last night and have put them in small plnt pots with more compost and given them a good drink.

I have finished the pompons for the twin baby boys and am going to get some of my Christmas cards cut out and glued up (the embroidery bits are done) and have a few more bits to get on with. Put away lots of socks, knickers, hankies, flannels and DS3's stuff (just piled it in his room) so my room is looking much better.

Spent money in a trip to little Arseda last night(more than expected but a couple of bulk buys were worth having and the stuff will be used next month as well). Slightly overdid it and was sweaty and breathing heavily by the time I got home.

Today I am grateful for using things up, crafty fun and celery sticks (did not want another veg with my meal so have been munching through my bag of celery sticks).
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 16th Oct 16, 8:44 AM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 16,650 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Week Three Mini challenge

Ferrets love toys and they don't share their toys

Doesn't sound like us turtles, does it. However I want tyou to do something personal, something for you. Write a list of all the things that bring you joy or help you get through the bad days.

You can call it a Well being/ Comfort/ Simple Pleasures/ Survival list, you don't need a heading at all. Put it somewhere convenient (back of your diary/ on the fridge/ on your phone?) and refer to it frequently. Try to include three things from the list every day. If possible, practice mindfulness and focus only on your simple pleasure eg drinking a cup of tea, sit and drink it slowly, wrap your hands round the mug, watch the steam.

When times are hard we can forget the things that give us pleasure,. When we are stressed and pushed for time it's easy to drop those 'non-essentials' and then wonder why we are struggling.

My own list would include hot baths (strtictly speaking I am only allowed warm not hot baths), music (music that makes me smile/ dance/ cry/ relax) and candles. Making time to get outside and stop to look at the passing seasons - conkers, autumn leaves, the pattern of bare branches against the sky, slowly emerging buds and bulbs. There are lots more.

If you have time and are in need of a giggle, the original quiz I have used for this month (by Alexandra Sargent-Colburn) can be found at
    http://petcha.com/pets/find-your-inner-ferret/. I became aware of it via a poet who hed written a poem with the same title. Magic of the internet - our pages have now pushed this way down the list.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th Oct 16, 10:16 AM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 20,454 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Mothernerd - I love this week's mini challenge. It will help me to survive into half term. I'm really tired, and I have a few things going on in the week ahead so I'll need to be more careful than ever not to burn out.
    So, I've been offline for a couple of days. Real life got in the way a bit. Training day Friday, observed lesson tomorrow, friend had a car crash, needed to deal with acrimonious split with ds football team etc. I spent most of yesterday juggling things I wanted to do with pain-in-the-bum jobs I didn't want to do. You're right mothernerd - it's good being tired because you got stuff done rather than just being exhausted.
    Bagged another nsd on Friday but not yesterday - needed to get ds some new training gear for his new football team. Then also did my tutoring session, marked a set of books, bit of housework in between continuing my knitting and crochet.
    Today won't be a nsd either - dd has asked for a carvery lunch. She rarely asks for anything so we'll head out somewhere later for that. Bless her. Other than that, no real plans. The rubbish weekend jobs are done so I can get on and enjoy doing some things for me.
    NST Dec #15 NSD 2/16 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447 Wombling '16 #28 (£634.37)
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 16th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    • 2,974 Posts
    • 27,656 Thanks
    dolly84
    Morning all. It is chucking it down here today but yesterday was a lovely autumn day from about lunchtime.

We got the result of DS's 11+ test for grammar school yesterday and he got a place, we are over the moon with his achievement and now both children will be in the same school again from next year. We had promised him that we would go out for tea so we did that yesterday.

Two of my ebay listings have sold this weekend, the money is just sitting in the paypal account at the moment and I may use it for Christmas gifts.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 16th Oct 16, 2:15 PM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 21,486 Thanks
    Fmess
    dolly congratulations to your son

mothernerd I love the new weekly challenge. I have made my list and done one this morning

Did school work this morning before IT prevented me from doing anymore but there is nothing I can do, so I'll just enjoy the rest of my time to myself. The neighbour's are taking down a wall so it's a bit noisy here today, im off out for a walk with the dogs to escape for a bit.

• Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 16th Oct 16, 4:58 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    16 October

Hello Everyone

Mothernerd – Thank you for pointing out the rules to me. I'll claim yesterday as a NSD and today as well so that's 3 now.

Decided to weigh myself today as it's a week since I started trying to eat more healthily. I've lost 2 pounds! I'm quite happy with that since I haven't really been dieting just eating more fruit and veg and not snacking on chocolate, etc or drinking alcohol. Would probably have been better if I'd managed a bit more walking as well but the cough/cold didn't help any. Still a long way to go with the weight loss but at least it's a start.

Since C seems to be getting his appetite back a bit I've done a rough menu plan for next week. Meals and lunches from what we have in the freezer plus some veg which I will have to buy.

Ticked a few things off my long do to list.

Really like the mini challenge (haven't done last week's yet but it's on my to do list). Spent this afternoon reading with lovely perfume candles beside me. Having a long bath with lots of bubbles before I go to bed tonight.

Meeting a friend for lunch tomorrow. She lives in London and we haven't seen her since February. Not having a drink really is going to be a challenge. Wish me luck.
    • ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 16th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 6,711 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Hello everyone,
    mothernerd I love the challenge. I'll try and get on that one this week

Not much to report here. I made DH feel sorry for me so he came for a dog walk at the beach! I'm so bloomin' fed up with doing everything on my own so it was lovely. Not a NSD as we shared a scone and had a hot chocolate each on the way back. Lovely fresh air, some very fresh rain and two tired dogs - not a bad Sunday!

Janey x
    Bought our house 2012 Married 2015 Started renovating 2015
    Renovation fund 100% Emergency fund 100% Future fund £2055

"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 16th Oct 16, 7:07 PM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 14,425 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    We drove up to Honiton yesterday, to stay with BFs sister before the half marathon today. Had to fill up car. BF put 9p of petrol in before he realised my car is diesel! He popped in to pay the 9p to reset the pump for diesel and picked up two kitkats to make the card payment worthwhile.
    Lady at the counter said he can pay all at once and told him to leave the chocs on the counter. He refueled with the correct fuel this time, then grabbed some drinks too. It wasn't until we were halfway down the road I noticed they hadn't charged him for the kitkats!

NSDs -£31.97 spent yesterday on petrol and 2 bottles of pop. NSD no.12 today.
    Extra cashSurveys going well
    No cafes/Takeaways – 3/31 Subway for lunch, but we used points so didn't spend. I think we deserved it after running 13.1 miles.
    Exercise - Ran the Great West Run today, my longest time ever, I was really struggling. But I did complete
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Nov Grocery Challenge £42.17/£54 Nov NSD's 05/22
    EF Challenger #36
    £8058.40/£10,000 Lose weight +2.8/10lbs
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 16th Oct 16, 9:47 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 10,758 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone
    Oh, I love kitkats and haven't had one for ages!
    Not sure where I'm up to with the sfds, but I know I must have racked up a few, cos I keep trying to do without. Today I needed bread and milk but I've stuck the bm on and made up some dried milk so I didn't go in the sm, because I know when I set foot in a shop then I always come out with more than I went in for!!!!
    On the fruit and veggies front I haven't done so well and the exercise has been hit and miss, and I need to refill my medicine cabinet again with cold and flu stuff as dd3 came and raided it for her family!!
    I will make a list for this week's challange and keep looking at it, although the next two weeks are going to be busy for me, I am looking after dgc quite a few days, out for a few meals (not paying for all of them), birthdays and days out, so my calender is looking very healthy!!!
    Anyway off to bed with a drink and my book, I had dgd stay last night and then had another one (her baby sister) for a few hours this afternoon and its worn me out!!!
    Nannyg

Congratulations to x_Raphael_xxx on completing your run, I struggle walking up the hill I live up!!!!
    Last edited by nannygladys; 16-10-2016 at 9:50 PM.
    Mortgage free and debt free at last, but still frugal as retired. Time to enjoy life on a state pension!!!
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 16th Oct 16, 9:58 PM
    • 8,004 Posts
    • 51,382 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Congratulations Dolly that's great news. Plus you and Greent can swap tips. All good.
    £790 to pay =70% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 December £0.75 2016-£55.16 2015- £84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 £2,230.66 2015 £1027.20
    NST December
    PAYDBX #7 £1910.53/£2,700 (70%)
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 16th Oct 16, 11:20 PM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 16,650 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Glad you all like the challenge.

Congratulations to dolly's ds and well done on completing the race x_raphael_xx.

Woke at 7am and couldn't get back to sleep. Had breakfast, a bath and washed my hair before 9am. It rained (could not see out of the window) so decided not to go and visit mum. Thought the cold had gone but it is back with a vengeance (have an appointment on Tuesday so will be monitoring my glands till then, sore but not hard). Read and slept for most of the day. Tomorrow will be domestic and crafts.

Today I am grateful for hot baths, clean bedding and the house starting to look tidy (still a way to go).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,812Posts Today

7,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin