Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 29th Sep 16, 12:59 AM
    • 1,649Posts
    • 16,674Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST October Finding Your Inner ferret
    • 29th Sep 16, 12:59 AM
    NST October Finding Your Inner ferret 29th Sep 16 at 12:59 AM
    NST OCTOBER; Finding your Inner Ferret
    NST Challenge: October Finding Your Inner Ferret

Turtles are tough. Turtle rules are tough but they work. When you start your turtle journey the rules can feel overwhelming but they all help on the journey to debt freedom. The more rules you can keep the sooner you will achieve your goals – most turtles start by tackling debt but many are now saving to get on the property ladder, to achieve mortgage free status, to retire early or to live well on a small income.

All the usual rules (see below) will remain in place this month. However if you need to adapt a particular rule to suit for health or lifestyle reasons this is acceptable. That is lifestyle as in my car is broken, I need to carry all the shopping home so buy small amounts frequently not I want to have six takeaways a week and still pay off my debts/ save money. Commit to following all the rules. If you don't manage all of them all the time we will help and support you – No Turtle gets left behind.

Tackling debt can be a long hard slog and some turtles (including this one) have been struggling recently. Therefore the aim this month alongside savings/ reducing debt is to have some fun. This month we will be Finding Our Inner Ferret.

Ferrets sleep for between 14 and 18 hours a day. Oh bliss. Not practical for most of us but try to get enough sleep. Make your bedroom a comfortable haven. Despite being awake for only a few hours the average ferret is active enough to maintain a sleek profile. We will aim to get outside every day. Sunshine is in short supply so get as much as you can. If you go to work and come home in the dark, can you go for at short walk at lunch.

Planning and preparation are needed. Think ahead, budget, work out what is needed. This leaves more time for fun and if you can, do it without spending or have a low spend. This month I will be including a weekly planning and preparation target.

Ferrets are curious. I want you all to commit to learning something new this month – it doesn't have to be degree level, try a new craft, cook something you always thought was difficult or learn something practical. Investigate new ways of making extra cash.

Finally (random rule alert) one of the ferret's distinctive features is the Victory Dance. We will be celebrating our achievements and successes and not dwelling on 'things we have left undone'. If your to do list is worrying you, simplify it. Write down a list of what you have done. Find things to be grateful for each day (no need to write them here if you don't want to) and think about something you have achieved. Then do your Ferret Victory Dance. It's okay to do it behind closed doors.

If any of you think you have done nothing worthy of celebration, I must tell you that my recent 'achievements' include going to my weekly counselling and craft sessions and on really bad days, getting out of bed and having a bath.

The Challenge Rules:
    • The Challenge will commence on the 1st October @ 00:00 and end on the 31st October @ 23:59.
    • Kat Essentials
    • Set your DFD (Debt Free Day)
    • You will pay towards your debt / savings FIRST and live on what’s left. Choose the amount now.
    • Set all budgets before the start of the month, think ahead for any birthdays, outings etc.
    • Random Rule for September Celebrate your achievements with a Victory dance
    • Other Rules
    • Aim for 15 SFD (Spend Free day or No Spend day)
    • Extra cash – share any ideas which work, trawl the other threads for something you haven't tried recently.
    • Learn something new (might be fun)
    • Weekly mini challenge (details in later post)
    • Food budget should be set realistically (ideally at same level as last month or lower unless you have extra mouths to feed). Base your purchases around basics range and yellow stickered items.
    • You will NOT use any of the following; restaurants, cafes, work canteens, vending machines, takeaways ( yes really), Starbucks, Costa, Nero or any other chain cafe!
    • Lunch to work everyday and plan for appointments and days out (last chance for picnics and bbqs).
    • Travel budget – petrol or public transport for work, leisure, hospital appointments. Can you walk/cycle? Can you combine journeys – shopping/ work/ gym?
    • Any other regular budgets – children's activities etc.
    • Healthy eating – up your fruit and veg. If you are already getting your 5 a day (if not why not?) go for 7. Will make you feel better (especially if free or ys) and may help ward off all those annoying bugs which come with the changing seasons.
    • Make a food bank donation (3 items or £3) or alternative charity if preferred
    • Exercise 5 times a week, newbies and poorlies start with 10 minutes a day, get outdoors wherever possible.
    • Regular check ins – daily if possible.
    So who's up for it.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy. 2016 Be Healthy, Be Happy, Have more fun.NST Nov#12 SFD 4/20 Budget Food£102.89/£80 (stretch £60) Transport £5.80/£20.Ext £0/ £10 Clutter free 1864/5050. 3-6 Month EF completed 28/01/16 Weight loss 11lb
    Mortgage Free since5.1 1982 Debt Free 11/015/2016
Page 14
    • misstara
    • By misstara 13th Oct 16, 10:39 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 12,565 Thanks
    misstara
    A NSD yesterday taking me up to 5 I think. Needed some tatties and milk today. I've booked a new gym class for tomorrow evening so will see how that goes. Tomorrow I'm working overtime at my job and then next week I've booked 2 shifts for 2nd job, all extra cash
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £485.11 (95.4% paid)
    New flat debt Nov 2016 £1252.44
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - 2/12. Groceries target £25.59/£135. NSD target 4/15.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 13th Oct 16, 10:52 PM
    • 8,032 Posts
    • 51,464 Thanks
    Bobarella
    calling - how awful about that lady, I'm very glad you didn't find her.

Furrybeast - great news about your job but to the commute.

Get well wishes to everyone else.

I did a grocery shop yesterday and am well within budget for this month.

DD had 4 teeth out yesterday afternoon so I have kept her home today whilst the blood clots form properly. She was incredibly brave. She has 2 more out in a few weeks, this is all in preparation for her braces going on at the end of November.

I have cycled this morning and was very pleased to get back home before the heavens opened, will walk the dog later and do some work too.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    Bless her Dolly that's brave of her. Hope she's doing ok.
    £790 to pay =70% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 December £2.08 2016-£55.16 2015- £84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 £2,236.99 2015 £1027.20
    NST December
    PAYDBX #7 £1910.53/£2,700 (70%)
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 14th Oct 16, 6:20 AM
    • 2,310 Posts
    • 21,512 Thanks
    Fmess
    SFD number 6 yesterday and no plans to spend today either. Roll on 3pm
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 £799.99 (94.0% cleared) DFD = Jan 2017

Dec NST #24 SFD 0/15 Food 72/80 Personal 144.30/300 Petrol 0/80

POAYDI2016 #08 £5229.01/£6029 86.7%

• SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 14th Oct 16, 9:38 AM
    • 931 Posts
    • 7,266 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning,

Yesterday was a LSD. £2 on lunch - damn. It'll also be the same again today unfortunately. Time just runs away from me to prepare. I think I might batch cook and then freeze things. Much easier.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    Savings Target by June '17 = £1,350/£4,000
    NSD (1/15)
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 14th Oct 16, 9:51 AM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 10,764 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone, it's a few days since I last posted, but it's still going well and I've racked up a couple more of sfds.

I've been making plenty of soup with mostly home grown veggies and still working my way through the freezer. The hm bread is still ongoing and the slow cooker is coming into its own. But having said that I have been making some twinks and other goodies so eating wise I'm not that virtuous!!!!

Today I'm staying in, a lazy day with a bit of sewing, reading and tv getting ready for the onslaught of looking after dgc and having them overnight (love them all really!!) And then Sunday I have a bit of tidy up to do in the garden if it's not raining.
    Nannyg
    Mortgage free and debt free at last, but still frugal as retired. Time to enjoy life on a state pension!!!
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 14th Oct 16, 9:52 AM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 10,764 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Oh and I've been out walking a few times
    Nannyg
    Mortgage free and debt free at last, but still frugal as retired. Time to enjoy life on a state pension!!!
    • Poppy3008
    • By Poppy3008 14th Oct 16, 10:37 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    Poppy3008
    Well, its all gone to pot. I have massively overspent already and not achieving anything this thread was supposed to make me!!
    Still only 2/30 NSD (I mean that's appalling!)
    Exercise - had a vile cold this week so not much more than walking the dog (OK, that's a result)
    Food - budget non existing now for this and not a 5 a day in sight!! Maybe I should eat the pears sitting in the fruitbowl.
    Lunch - even managed to fail at that - went to shop for extras as feeling sad and sick and wanted to cheer myself up! Poor excuse.
    Cannot remember what the mini challenge was this week but pretty sure I have not done it!
    Have donated again to the Food Bank this week.
    No Christmas cakes made yet !
    OK - as I now feel more human I need to get back on track.
    I shall aim for 5 NSD until end of month. not much but might as well be realistic. Though as the bank account is nearly empty not sure what I can actually spend!
    I shall do a meal plan and shopping list.
    I hope this month improves!!!
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 14th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 15,257 Thanks
    Calling14
    Calling your boss sounds like he has a bad case of Affluenza, poor poppet.

"a psychological malaise supposedly affecting young wealthy people, symptoms of which include a lack of motivation, feelings of guilt, and a sense of isolation."
    Originally posted by Bobarella

Brilliant Bob.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now 4025.00 17/11/16
    EFund #9 £110/£1,000 Saving xmas2016 #22 36/366
    PAYDBX 2016 #16 3260/6947.00 3687 to go
    #13 1debt v 100 days no24 381.27/1199.80 818.53 togo
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 14th Oct 16, 1:34 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 15,257 Thanks
    Calling14
    Quick post from me work mega busy.

Spent yesterday bought few plants to replace ones got trampled on when putting fence up last weekend. Spent afternoon digging and planting, not sure brilliant with my knee. Was really sore this am.

Today I will carry on spending going to get ingredients for my xmas cake, so hopefully can make it Sunday.

SFD are static at 7 but hope to gain 1 at least over the weekend.

No plans hopefully get out and about tomorrow with gs but other than that quiet one and save some pennies.

Dolly - poor little one 4 teeth how horrid for her. Hope the tooth fairy paid well.

Have a lovely weekend folks enjoy autumn colors x
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now 4025.00 17/11/16
    EFund #9 £110/£1,000 Saving xmas2016 #22 36/366
    PAYDBX 2016 #16 3260/6947.00 3687 to go
    #13 1debt v 100 days no24 381.27/1199.80 818.53 togo
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 14th Oct 16, 4:59 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 900 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    14 October

Evening All

Had a fairly healthy day. Had my intake of fruit but should probably have had more vegetables. Think I'll have an apple to make up for it. No alcohol.

Went for a walk. The trees look beautiful just now.

Bought everything for son's lunches next week plus some more grapes and bananas and milk etc. I'm hoping we shouldn't need to buy very much (if anything) during the week if I can keep C under control.

I have made a to do list which is getting longer by the minute. Have to start ticking off some things tomorrow and make a real effort to get to grips with things. Don't think I'm out of holiday mode yet.

Siebrie – Thanks for the tip. We'll try that later although I think the cough is beginning to ease slightly (Thank goodness).

Rafael – Which survey site are you using. ? Maybe someone could suggest which one' are best.

Have a good weekend,
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 14th Oct 16, 7:08 PM
    • 8,032 Posts
    • 51,464 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Well, its all gone to pot. I have massively overspent already and not achieving anything this thread was supposed to make me!!
    Exercise - had a vile cold this week so not much more than walking the dog (OK, that's a result)
    Food - budget non existing now for this and not a 5 a day in sight!! Maybe I should eat the pears sitting in the fruitbowl.
    Lunch - even managed to fail at that - went to shop for extras as feeling sad and sick and wanted to cheer myself up! Poor excuse.
    Cannot remember what the mini challenge was this week but pretty sure I have not done it!
    I shall aim for 5 NSD until end of month. not much but might as well be realistic. Though as the bank account is nearly empty not sure what I can actually spend!
    Originally posted by Poppy3008
    Try not to beat yourself up lovely. Would you speak so harshly to a friend reporting those facts?
    £790 to pay =70% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 December £2.08 2016-£55.16 2015- £84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 £2,236.99 2015 £1027.20
    NST December
    PAYDBX #7 £1910.53/£2,700 (70%)
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 14th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 2,310 Posts
    • 21,512 Thanks
    Fmess
    Evening all,

Sorry for my short posts during the week. Work is crazy and I am exhausted at the moment. I have come on here to try and not fall asleep too early tonight!

SFD again today which takes me up to 7

I have sent another £10 to pay towards the debt today I am slowly but surely getting there, only £1189.19 to go However I am worried about next month as it is car tax and MOT month and I have scheduled the car in for a service at the same time, as they offer a courtesy car and it is easier to get it over with in one go. This means I have no idea how much I can pay off the debt next month but it will definitely be less than usual/I would like.

I will also be going into more debt next month as I have the builders in to do major work but I will not declare this until all the bills are in and paid. I am hoping to have paid off the first debt before starting to pay the second. I might get one day of debt freedom
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 £799.99 (94.0% cleared) DFD = Jan 2017

Dec NST #24 SFD 0/15 Food 72/80 Personal 144.30/300 Petrol 0/80

POAYDI2016 #08 £5229.01/£6029 86.7%

• Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Originally posted by Poppy3008
    Believe that today is a new start.
    The past is gone.
    The future is going to be better, as long as you look for everything good and let the negative go. I may not be a member, but I have been reading with interest after EE posted a link.
    But I do know that my life transformed when I started being more grateful for things, and stopped feeling negative.
    You donated to the food bank. That's brilliant. Well done.
    The thread can't make you do anything. Only you can do that. But you can take the good vibes, the suggestions and the rest comes from within you.
    You Achieved TWO no spend days. That's two good results.
    Dispite being ill you still took the dog out for a walk and didn't just let it do its business in the garden.
    If you can't manage the 5 a day, be grateful that you still have food, when plenty in this world don't. It's a good thing that you don't have to go hungry.
    Traditionally Christmas cakes were made in November in our family, so you still have plenty of time.

If the bank account is low then you will be forced to menu plan and have no spends days from now on.

Take that into account with my eyes, then all is not lost, and we're not quite halfway through the month.
    Making thermal cooking bags, too help others save fuel costs, and produce fabulous meals for pennies! I love my sewing, and it has helped me to make new friends and feel useful!
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 14th Oct 16, 8:44 PM
    • 1,649 Posts
    • 16,674 Thanks
    mothernerd
    misstara well done on the extra shifts and overtime.

dolly84 poor dd, so much worse when they are healthy teeth.

Speky don't know if it helps but I used to make up sandwiches in bulk and freeze them.

nannyg hm soup and bread from hg veg yum.

Poppy3008 I echo Bob don't be too hard on yourself. It takes a while to get into turtle ways. Think of it as being like a bad day on a diet. You can either use it as an excuse to continue splurging 'because it's all gone wrong' or you knuckle down and get back on track. You have already started to plan for the rest of the month so congratulate yourself.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy. 2016 Be Healthy, Be Happy, Have more fun.NST Nov#12 SFD 4/20 Budget Food£102.89/£80 (stretch £60) Transport £5.80/£20.Ext £0/ £10 Clutter free 1864/5050. 3-6 Month EF completed 28/01/16 Weight loss 11lb
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 14th Oct 16, 8:49 PM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 14,425 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Rafael – Which survey site are you using. ? Maybe someone could suggest which one' are best.
    Originally posted by Toni'sfriend
    Qmee.
    There is a thread on the 'Boost your Income' Board which lists quite a few good ones http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124530 I just picked one at random.
    I might sign up to one or two more, but wanted to ease into it
    some of them are dull but I did one on sweets last night that was interesting. Usually 43p-50p each. I've had no luck today, there have been 2 surveys but I haven't got to them in time.

I'm afraid I have to admit to a takeaway tonight, but BF paid, so NSD no.11 for me today
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Nov Grocery Challenge £42.17/£54 Nov NSD's 05/22
    EF Challenger #36
    £8058.40/£10,000 Lose weight +2.8/10lbs
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 14th Oct 16, 9:08 PM
    • 1,649 Posts
    • 16,674 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Thanks Mooloo excellent advice.

Calling sounds like a good day but be careful with your knee.

Toni's friend I used to get locked out of most of the surveys. When I had a tv I enjoyed doing the BBC surveys (available daily, reviewing what you watched/listened to th night before). Unpaid but with a monthly draw - I won twice, a £2 and a £5 shopping voucher (choice of stores) and there are occasional things which give you rewards.

I also enjoyed the sainsbugs points one (now discontinued) which gave me lots of trailers for forthcoming movies. I believe the swagbucks scheme is similar to this - previews/ games/ daily words and it's very popular (there is a separate thread for it). Seems to be a lot of lingo to learn but I am sure you could soon pick it up. Pays in paypal or amazon vouchers I think.

Hugs Fmess. I know you want to get the debt paid off asap but I think to get through the tough month you have to keep reminding yourself how far you have come. The repairs are important because they can end up costing more if left undone.

Today I am paying for yesterday. I am feeling much better, generally brighter and everything tastes so good but today I am weak and wobbly. I have spent money as I needed to get DS1's parcel and I had to have a taxi to take me, wait and bring me back.

I hunted out the walking stick to make me steadier. The taxi driver took me right into the yard and nearly up to the door (supposed to park outside) but I had no hesitation in making a sandwich and coming straight back to bed when I got home. I have ticked off this week's 'to do' list and done a lot besides. I brought in the dried quilt and tidied some of the kitchen table (fairly clear since I used most of the veg yesterday) whilst heating tea - salmon fillet and sweet potato mash.

Will take tomorrow as it comes. Lots of crafting, tidying and filing I can do without leaving the bedroom. May visit mum if I feel brighter but think the outside jobs will wait until next week (roofer hasn't phoned yet).

Today I am grateful for kind taxi drivers, for simle to prepare food and for my bed (slept well last night - a full laundry basket fell on the floor and didn't wake me up).
    • swimminginaseaofdebt
    • By swimminginaseaofdebt 14th Oct 16, 9:21 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 1,542 Thanks
    swimminginaseaofdebt
    Evening everyone,

Exercise today was a short walk down to my mums.

Healthy eating consisted of the munching of a banana.

I purchased two cinema tickets for my sister but she'll give me back the money so I am counting today as a NSD.

Shortly after midnight today I earned enough Swagbucks for another £5 PayPal gift card. I ordered one and two hours later it was ready. I withdrew the money from the PayPal account into my bank account, which I then promptly locked myself out of online! I'm now awaiting a new pin and when that arrives I'll pay that £5 off my credit card.
    1 debt vs 100 days part 24 - Target: £109/£600
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2016 #150 - £1202.89/£1264.05 (87%)
    6 month challenge #65 - £15.71/£9000
    SPC10 #564
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 14th Oct 16, 10:50 PM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 14,425 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Shortly after midnight today I earned enough Swagbucks for another £5 PayPal gift card. I ordered one and two hours later it was ready. I withdrew the money from the PayPal account into my bank account, which I then promptly locked myself out of online! I'm now awaiting a new pin and when that arrives I'll pay that £5 off my credit card.
    Originally posted by swimminginaseaofdebt
    I just (literally) signed up for Swagbucks. So far so good. Almost up to my first £1. The surveys are kind of addictive.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Nov Grocery Challenge £42.17/£54 Nov NSD's 05/22
    EF Challenger #36
    £8058.40/£10,000 Lose weight +2.8/10lbs
    • ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 15th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 6,716 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Hello everyone

Sorry I've not popped in recently - it's been horribly busy round here.

I haven't got time now to locate my last post and catch up with you all so just a quick update:

NSD are now at 5 of 15 and expecting another one today
    I'm doing a lot better with my 5-a-day and have managed it 7 days so far this month but this could definitely improve!
    Exercise - I have exercised 9 days so far this month
    Happy - lots of 'happy moments' recorded

I'm recording my achievements every day in a notebook which is helping.

I've got a load of housework and school work to do today while DH has just had a huge timber delivery and is working on the living room

It's also absolutely pouring down outside

Janey x
    Bought our house 2012 Married 2015 Started renovating 2015
    Renovation fund 100% Emergency fund 100% Future fund £2055

"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 15th Oct 16, 1:04 PM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 18,129 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Another week has flown by, have not been on the computer much this week - I usually log on each evening but have been either watching recorded things from the Sky box or going to bed to read.

Had mixed success with everything - have been eating as much fruit and veg as I can. Off to the supermarket today to get more.
    Have loads of apples from our trees - must get these used up as they are starting to turn, will do some more apple upside down cakes.

Had a NSD on Sun, Tues and Fri so that is me up to 6.

Not done the mini challenge yet but will see what supermarket have as the wooden trough by the front door needs some bright flowers in rather than soil!!

Glad to see some newbies have appeared (some have followed from my thread - Hi!!)

Everyone is doing fab, remember this is a challenge for a month. Some days/weeks we won't achieve much but others we will and remember every day is an achievement.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 23 for December
    NSD - 1/15
    (up to 1/12/16)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,154Posts Today

5,924Users online

Martin's Twitter