Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 29th Sep 16, 12:59 AM
    • 1,648Posts
    • 16,655Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST October Finding Your Inner ferret
    • 29th Sep 16, 12:59 AM
    NST October Finding Your Inner ferret 29th Sep 16 at 12:59 AM
    NST OCTOBER; Finding your Inner Ferret
    NST Challenge: October Finding Your Inner Ferret

Turtles are tough. Turtle rules are tough but they work. When you start your turtle journey the rules can feel overwhelming but they all help on the journey to debt freedom. The more rules you can keep the sooner you will achieve your goals – most turtles start by tackling debt but many are now saving to get on the property ladder, to achieve mortgage free status, to retire early or to live well on a small income.

All the usual rules (see below) will remain in place this month. However if you need to adapt a particular rule to suit for health or lifestyle reasons this is acceptable. That is lifestyle as in my car is broken, I need to carry all the shopping home so buy small amounts frequently not I want to have six takeaways a week and still pay off my debts/ save money. Commit to following all the rules. If you don't manage all of them all the time we will help and support you – No Turtle gets left behind.

Tackling debt can be a long hard slog and some turtles (including this one) have been struggling recently. Therefore the aim this month alongside savings/ reducing debt is to have some fun. This month we will be Finding Our Inner Ferret.

Ferrets sleep for between 14 and 18 hours a day. Oh bliss. Not practical for most of us but try to get enough sleep. Make your bedroom a comfortable haven. Despite being awake for only a few hours the average ferret is active enough to maintain a sleek profile. We will aim to get outside every day. Sunshine is in short supply so get as much as you can. If you go to work and come home in the dark, can you go for at short walk at lunch.

Planning and preparation are needed. Think ahead, budget, work out what is needed. This leaves more time for fun and if you can, do it without spending or have a low spend. This month I will be including a weekly planning and preparation target.

Ferrets are curious. I want you all to commit to learning something new this month – it doesn't have to be degree level, try a new craft, cook something you always thought was difficult or learn something practical. Investigate new ways of making extra cash.

Finally (random rule alert) one of the ferret's distinctive features is the Victory Dance. We will be celebrating our achievements and successes and not dwelling on 'things we have left undone'. If your to do list is worrying you, simplify it. Write down a list of what you have done. Find things to be grateful for each day (no need to write them here if you don't want to) and think about something you have achieved. Then do your Ferret Victory Dance. It's okay to do it behind closed doors.

If any of you think you have done nothing worthy of celebration, I must tell you that my recent 'achievements' include going to my weekly counselling and craft sessions and on really bad days, getting out of bed and having a bath.

The Challenge Rules:
    • The Challenge will commence on the 1st October @ 00:00 and end on the 31st October @ 23:59.
    • Kat Essentials
    • Set your DFD (Debt Free Day)
    • You will pay towards your debt / savings FIRST and live on what’s left. Choose the amount now.
    • Set all budgets before the start of the month, think ahead for any birthdays, outings etc.
    • Random Rule for September Celebrate your achievements with a Victory dance
    • Other Rules
    • Aim for 15 SFD (Spend Free day or No Spend day)
    • Extra cash – share any ideas which work, trawl the other threads for something you haven't tried recently.
    • Learn something new (might be fun)
    • Weekly mini challenge (details in later post)
    • Food budget should be set realistically (ideally at same level as last month or lower unless you have extra mouths to feed). Base your purchases around basics range and yellow stickered items.
    • You will NOT use any of the following; restaurants, cafes, work canteens, vending machines, takeaways ( yes really), Starbucks, Costa, Nero or any other chain cafe!
    • Lunch to work everyday and plan for appointments and days out (last chance for picnics and bbqs).
    • Travel budget – petrol or public transport for work, leisure, hospital appointments. Can you walk/cycle? Can you combine journeys – shopping/ work/ gym?
    • Any other regular budgets – children's activities etc.
    • Healthy eating – up your fruit and veg. If you are already getting your 5 a day (if not why not?) go for 7. Will make you feel better (especially if free or ys) and may help ward off all those annoying bugs which come with the changing seasons.
    • Make a food bank donation (3 items or £3) or alternative charity if preferred
    • Exercise 5 times a week, newbies and poorlies start with 10 minutes a day, get outdoors wherever possible.
    • Regular check ins – daily if possible.
    So who's up for it.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy. 2016 Be Healthy, Be Happy, Have more fun.NST Nov#12 SFD 4/20 Budget Food£31.43/£80 (stretch £60) Transport £0/£20.Ext £0/ £10 Clutter free 1864/5050. 3-6 Month EF completed 28/01/16 Weight loss 11lb
    Mortgage Free since5.1 1982 Debt Free 11/015/2016
Page 12
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 10th Oct 16, 8:58 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Evening,

Today has been good. It hasn't been a NSD though as I had to grab some shopping after work but all still within budget!

I took pack-up to work today and didn't buy any coffee!!! I'll make tomorrow's lunch later before bed and get breakfast ready too (defrosting frozen berries overnight in fridge). I've also been pretty good on the healthy eating front too. Raspberries and cherries for breakfast (with yogurt and granola), melon and figs as my 'pudding' for lunch and a Quorn chilli full of tomatoes, onion etc (all the good stuff!)

Aiming for a NSD tomorrow (and hopefully Thursday/Friday too).
    October grocery challenge £115.50/£250 | Emergency £1,000 challenge - £399.44/£1,000 | NSD 5/15
    Credit Card: £209 (0% APR) | Car Finance: £10,674 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £113,243 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £1,457.04
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 10th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 21,491 Thanks
    Fmess
    Evening all,

SFD number 4 today Busy at work and then lesson planning at home tonight. Two weeks until half term
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 £799.99 (94.0% cleared) DFD = Jan 2017

Dec NST #24 SFD 0/15 Food 72/80 Personal 144.30/300 Petrol 0/80

POAYDI2016 #08 £5229.01/£6029 86.7%

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 10th Oct 16, 10:48 PM
    • 8,005 Posts
    • 51,394 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Thanks Mothernerd all the Bob's are finally back up and running again. I do know what you mean in an odd way about being ill and it forcing a stop. This wasn't one of those occasions for me but I have had that. Keep taking care of yourself.
    £790 to pay =70% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 December £0.80 2016-£55.16 2015- £84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 £2,235.71 2015 £1027.20
    NST December
    PAYDBX #7 £1910.53/£2,700 (70%)
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 11th Oct 16, 9:16 AM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 24,272 Thanks
    XSpender
    Get Outside Everyday 8/30 – I was out and about running errands yesterday. Not sure if this counts?
    Food Budget £500 (£400 stretch)/£218.11 – I spent in Mr T yesterday on some ingredients for a chicken satay dish I want to make to take away with me and topped up the fruit bowl.
    Half Term and Entertainment Budget £100/£0 nothing planned until half term
    Miscellaneous Budget £100/£94.47 – bought a replacement cable for the IT I have to hand back to work. Need to get another one too so will be over this budget
    Learn something new – Will practice my press ups in the hotel for the next 3 nights
    Lunch to work 6/18 – Made DH lunch and he has left it on the bench!
    SFD 2/15 – Aiming for a NSD Wed and Thurs
    5 a day F &V 2/30 – Eating much better this week although not up to 5/day yet. I need to be drinking more water. I have planned what I am eating when away, packed some bits and have a list to spend my dinner allowance on tonight which should cover the next couple of days. Planning to avoid all restaurant meals accept 1 lunch out with colleagues but I have already had a look at the menu choices.
    Exercise 5/week 9/20 – PT session last night using the leg machines for the first time. Ouch! Will do a HIIT session in the hotel as no pool or gym and then next PT session is Friday.
    Make some money £250/£83.74
    OCT GC £533.49/£500 Nov £187.24/£360 (52%)

MFiT #36 Goal £30,000
    2016 mfw #13 £20,000 58.6%
    Save £12k in 2016 #89 Target £5000 41.7%
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th Oct 16, 10:15 AM
    • 924 Posts
    • 7,213 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning Turtles,

Another NSD yesterday and I'll get another today too!!

Made my lunch this morning so no need to buy anything, didn't even bring my wallet I'm that confident. Tonight I'll eat something from the fridge or freezer. In fact, maybe a nice healthy omelette! I digress.

Another reason I'm refusing to spend is to let any payments come through and show on my account. I'm with First Direct and they take ages (in comparison to my previous bank, BoS). I mean 3-4 days. And given that I use YNAB everyday, I need to keep things up to date and make sure it all matches up. So I've another reason not to spend - not that I need it.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    Savings Target by June '17 = £1,350/£4,000
    NSD (18/20)
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 11th Oct 16, 10:16 AM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 14,425 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Morning all

NSDs -No. 8 will be achieved today. No plans to spend. I do need to buy some t-shirts for BF for xmas, I'm going to try and bleach a pattern into them. But that can wait for another day.

Extra cashI'm starting to get the hang of these 'clicks' and surveys. Completed my first survey last night (have tried 7 unsuccessful ones) made 50p.

Learn - I have decided what my 'learn' will be, BF has promised me we can make a pumpkin lantern this year, I have never made a lantern before so I'm a little excited I'm also going to attempt to make a pumpkin pie (as we'll have pumpkin guts to use up). I have never tasted pumpkin either.
    Lunch to work -So far this month a success. Kind of an easy one as I always take lunch in.
    Healthy eatingI have been eating a lot of fruit and veg, but I'm not sure if it works out to 5 a day. Yesterday I had blueberries on my wheatabix, 2 satumas, half a box of strawberries, half a packet of asparagus, a handful of broccoli and some carrots, mushrooms & onions in my cottage pie.
    This morning I had more blueberries on my porridge, and planning more asparagus and broccoli with my chicken pie later. Then I'll have my fruit at work.

Exercise - I have a headache today (I think from dehydration) so skipping my morning run. But I did do 2 miles yesterday, after my 10k on sunday.

Week 2 Mini Challenge
    Love the smell of Potting Compost?
    You still have time to plant bulbs for indoor flowering in time for Christmas
    The only plant I've had success with keeping alive is my peace lily. BF is in charge of the flowers in the yard (which he was tidied up ready for winter) and we have all the indoor plants we need.
    I would love to have a little space to grow veggies, but we only have a small yard. We were successful with a two tomato plants and managed a couple of hauls.
    Hopefully when we get around to buying our own place we can get something with space for a little plot.

If you don't do plants of any kind, think of something else that will remind you in the coming months that warmth and light will return (candles maybe).
    Candles is more my thing, I love the cosy glow from a candle, and some of them smell lovely. I need to top up my supply.

I would like you all to get in touch with your playful side this week. Get outside and do something childlike or arty - jump in the leaves or shuffle thorugh like a train, splash in puddles.
    I love autumn and winter, I usually have a scuffle through the dry leaves, but they seem a little sparce at the moment. I love rain and always have to run to the window whenever there is a heavy storm. Driving through deep puddles always gives me a thrill.
    I have a Ninja Turtle colouring book at work for the quiet periods (it was an xmas present) so I may colour in a couple of pictures tonight
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Nov Grocery Challenge £42.17/£54 Nov NSD's 05/22
    EF Challenger #36
    £8058.40/£10,000 Lose weight +2.8/10lbs
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 11th Oct 16, 10:20 AM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 14,425 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Get Outside Everyday 8/30 – I was out and about running errands yesterday. Not sure if this counts?
    Originally posted by XSpender
    You left the house, it counts
    EF Challenger #36
    • greent
    • By greent 11th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 5,194 Posts
    • 52,319 Thanks
    greent
    Yesterday's update from me:

Spends - spent £4 on parking but this is reclaimable so am counting as NSD.

HEalthy eating - roasted veg in my sandwich yesterday lunchtime and that was about it f&v wise. Didn't actually eat proper meals yesterday.

Extra money - none yesterday.

Exercise - 11700 steps yesterday, 20 floors climbed and 78 active minutes in total according to fitbit

Getting outside - met a friend for lunch and that involved a walk through a couple of steep streets to get there - beautiful tree lined streets with leaves falling all around in Autumn sunshine

Lunch to work - I had lunch out yesterday but friend paid.

x
    Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Now repaying BTL Mtge. Opening Bal £69786. Current Bal £68286
    Net sales in 2016 £775.06/£500
    Dec grocery spends £0/ £480 NSDs 2/12
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 11th Oct 16, 5:32 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    11 October

Hi Everyone

Keeping up the healthy eating (Everybody seems to be doing really well with this one) Fruit, veg and no alcohol. C has lost his appetite so I'm having something from freezer for myself again.

Went for a walk to shops as we needed some bread so topped up on fruit whilst I was there.

Cough/colds seem to be getting worse rather than better and can't get a doctor's appointment until Thursday. Must be a lot of bugs going about because that's a very long time for our practice. Hopefully they'll be able to prescribe something as over the counter stuff isn't helping all.

Another early night with a hot lemon drink, I think.

Take care, all
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 11th Oct 16, 6:32 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Hello folks,

So, today has not been a NSD unfortunately. It was going well until I realised I needed to post a letter - so had to pay for postage. Oh well. Fully intend for tomorrow, Thursday and Friday to be NSD.

I stocked up on some candles yesterday - apple spice pillar candles from Asda. They smell so Christmassy! I love candles this time of year, I have them everywhere!!!

I have managed my 5 a day today but the problem is most of that is in fruit: raspberries, cherries, strawberries, melon and apple! Need to eat some veg!!!!

I have also taken lunch to work today (and to be fair plan to do this every day!)
    October grocery challenge £115.50/£250 | Emergency £1,000 challenge - £399.44/£1,000 | NSD 5/15
    Credit Card: £209 (0% APR) | Car Finance: £10,674 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £113,243 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £1,457.04
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 11th Oct 16, 7:24 PM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 16,655 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Brief check in again - I promise full service will be resumed in a couple of days. Loving all your successes, remember to celebrate with your victory dance.

Still feeling pathetic but determined to get something done today. Bins are collected tomorrow and DS3's room was full of recycling, mostly cans and slushie cups. Used a broom to sweep them out and launch them downstairs.

Loaded pots from my room into a bag, tottered downstairs, shoved a portion of lasagne into the microwave, rinsed all the recycling, filled a huge i k e a bag and took it all to the bin. Had to rest holding on to the bin before I could walk back up the yard again. Cooked some frozen broc and cauli and the stirred them into the leftover curry sauce from the other night. Washed a few pots and put more into soak.

Was exhausted when I got back to bed. Enormous effeort for little progress but I did do something and in the spirit of celebrating our achievements and with a few more trips downstairs I have had a bath, thrown a bathsheet, my nightie and the flannel down and put them in the wash, worked through loads of pots (still soaking the oven trays), put the bins out, cut a difficult branch off the pyracantha and even taken 2 important letters to the post box (which seemed like an impossible goal this morning).

Still have lots of craft prep I want to do and am tired and aching but very pleased with my work.

Today I am grateful for delicious food from the freezer/ leftovers, for it not raining in spite of not being very promising weather (wearing the sleeveless nightie so added wrap around cardi (and wellies when I go outside) and a visit from DS2 and the small dog he is minding this week.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy. 2016 Be Healthy, Be Happy, Have more fun.NST Nov#12 SFD 4/20 Budget Food£31.43/£80 (stretch £60) Transport £0/£20.Ext £0/ £10 Clutter free 1864/5050. 3-6 Month EF completed 28/01/16 Weight loss 11lb
    Mortgage Free since5.1 1982 Debt Free 11/015/2016
    • swimminginaseaofdebt
    • By swimminginaseaofdebt 11th Oct 16, 8:03 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    swimminginaseaofdebt
    Evening everyone,

The little one was up at 4.30am today and I've been on the go since then. Consequently I have a splitting headache!

Not a great day for me, spent too much money, ate very unhealthily and didn't do a great deal of exercise.

Ah well, tomorrow is an opportunity to start afresh.

It's only 8pm but I'm off for a sleep before I get woken up by the little one who thankfully went down about 30mins ago (sadly it won't be for the night, lol).
    1 debt vs 100 days part 24 - Target: £20/£600
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2016 #150 - £1113.89/£1264.05 (87%)
    6 month challenge #65 - £0.71/£9000
    SPC10 #564
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th Oct 16, 8:34 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 2,473 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi everyone

Well I succumbed to the NST lurgy yesterday morning and ended up buying medical supplies! Didn't feel like sandwich today for lunch so bought a Pret soup. Therefore not doing too well with the NSDs.

However does a banana, soup, vitamin pills and loads of water count as healthy eating as that's all I've had since yesterday morning!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Scrimpy Goal - Emergency Fund - £10,000
    Currently: £6027.22 (25/11/2016)

My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"

NST: December 2016- NSDs: 1/15
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 11th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    • 2,732 Posts
    • 22,161 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Hello

On holiday near Pitlochry for a few days in a cabin that we got on a good deal ages ago. But spend 70 in Tesco before we went yesterday and 40 on dinner out, so already 10 quid over budget for this week . But loads of food in the cabin for eating in and took left over roast lamb to make stovies tomorrow. Prob just get cheap pizza for Thursday's dinner. Will see the Enchanted Forrest tomorrow. Last went before DD was born and is was great.

Lovely seller on ebay refunded me for broken vintage watch after just a nice message from me. Didn't even have to open a claim.

Will see if the WiFi lasts and catch up on recent post
    Last edited by thriftylass; 11-10-2016 at 9:23 PM.
    NST Decmber no.3
    SFD 3/12 spend all 254/580 Exercise 2/10
    Debt - all 0% 2069 to go from 5290 (60% paid off)
    DFD 04/2017
    • misstara
    • By misstara 11th Oct 16, 9:30 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 12,550 Thanks
    misstara
    Managed a NSD yesterday, ended up with a bit of a mismatch meal at work but it was still yummy. Needed a few bits today to go with tea. Not much else to report, just been sorting out all my stuff from the weekend as didn't get a chance yesterday.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £485.11 (95.4% paid)
    New flat debt Nov 2016 £1252.44
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - 2/12. Groceries target £25.59/£135. NSD target 4/15.
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 11th Oct 16, 9:52 PM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 21,491 Thanks
    Fmess
    SFD today but lots of stress and few fruit or veg. Off to bed, tomorrow is another day!
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 £799.99 (94.0% cleared) DFD = Jan 2017

Dec NST #24 SFD 0/15 Food 72/80 Personal 144.30/300 Petrol 0/80

POAYDI2016 #08 £5229.01/£6029 86.7%

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 11th Oct 16, 10:58 PM
    • 8,005 Posts
    • 51,394 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Evening everyone,

The little one was up at 4.30am today and I've been on the go since then. Consequently I have a splitting headache!

Not a great day for me, spent too much money, ate very unhealthily and didn't do a great deal of exercise.

Ah well, tomorrow is an opportunity to start afresh.

It's only 8pm but I'm off for a sleep before I get woken up by the little one who thankfully went down about 30mins ago (sadly it won't be for the night, lol).
    Originally posted by swimminginaseaofdebt
    Sympathies on the bad night. Hope tonight will be better.
    £790 to pay =70% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 December £0.80 2016-£55.16 2015- £84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 £2,235.71 2015 £1027.20
    NST December
    PAYDBX #7 £1910.53/£2,700 (70%)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Oct 16, 9:16 AM
    • 924 Posts
    • 7,213 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning chums,

Another NSD yesterday!! As I said, I had my omelette which was great.

Tonight's dinner was bought in earlier this week, so another NSD today too, hopefully.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    Savings Target by June '17 = £1,350/£4,000
    NSD (18/20)
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 12th Oct 16, 2:14 PM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 14,425 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    NSD no. 9 for me today. I get so tired on these night shifts, I don't have the energy to get up and spend money
    EF Challenger #36
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 12th Oct 16, 2:35 PM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 15,246 Thanks
    Calling14
    NSD no. 9 for me today. I get so tired on these night shifts, I don't have the energy to get up and spend money
    Originally posted by x_raphael_xx
    I don't have that excuse but hit afternoon low now just want to sleep or eat chocolate.

Nothing special to report went and bought milk/ eggs and heel supports my new shoes bit big on one foot and rubbing. Massive spend in total 3.00 bit cross losing a SFD for that amount.

What a lot of ill turtles hope you all get better soon.

Mushroom omelette planned for tea will throw in lots of veggies.

Thats how exciting my life is today. Got an leg examination later see how it is recovering. No better still in pain walking up any slight hill. Yesterday I was going to go down to the woods for a walk as the trees looked lovely but my knee was too sore so glad I didn't they found a woman hanging there at the same time I would have gone. So very sad.

Will try and sort some pots and compost out see what I have suitable to plant a few bulbs after work, need to get out in the sun to cheer up.

Paid 58.84 off my debts today still seem to be getting nowhere fast.

Sorry for being miserable got a boss on a downer no idea why he has heaps of lovely holidays booked and he is feeling sorry for himself. grrr. Some people don't know how lucky they are
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now 4025.00 17/11/16
    EFund #9 £110/£1,000 Saving xmas2016 #22 36/366
    PAYDBX 2016 #16 3260/6947.00 3687 to go
    #13 1debt v 100 days no24 381.27/1199.80 818.53 togo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

74Posts Today

3,498Users online

Martin's Twitter