Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 29th Sep 16, 12:59 AM
    • 1,592Posts
    • 15,814Thanks
    NST October Finding Your Inner ferret
    • 29th Sep 16, 12:59 AM
    NST October Finding Your Inner ferret 29th Sep 16 at 12:59 AM
    NST OCTOBER; Finding your Inner Ferret
    NST Challenge: October Finding Your Inner Ferret

Turtles are tough. Turtle rules are tough but they work. When you start your turtle journey the rules can feel overwhelming but they all help on the journey to debt freedom. The more rules you can keep the sooner you will achieve your goals – most turtles start by tackling debt but many are now saving to get on the property ladder, to achieve mortgage free status, to retire early or to live well on a small income.

All the usual rules (see below) will remain in place this month. However if you need to adapt a particular rule to suit for health or lifestyle reasons this is acceptable. That is lifestyle as in my car is broken, I need to carry all the shopping home so buy small amounts frequently not I want to have six takeaways a week and still pay off my debts/ save money. Commit to following all the rules. If you don't manage all of them all the time we will help and support you – No Turtle gets left behind.

Tackling debt can be a long hard slog and some turtles (including this one) have been struggling recently. Therefore the aim this month alongside savings/ reducing debt is to have some fun. This month we will be Finding Our Inner Ferret.

Ferrets sleep for between 14 and 18 hours a day. Oh bliss. Not practical for most of us but try to get enough sleep. Make your bedroom a comfortable haven. Despite being awake for only a few hours the average ferret is active enough to maintain a sleek profile. We will aim to get outside every day. Sunshine is in short supply so get as much as you can. If you go to work and come home in the dark, can you go for at short walk at lunch.

Planning and preparation are needed. Think ahead, budget, work out what is needed. This leaves more time for fun and if you can, do it without spending or have a low spend. This month I will be including a weekly planning and preparation target.

Ferrets are curious. I want you all to commit to learning something new this month – it doesn't have to be degree level, try a new craft, cook something you always thought was difficult or learn something practical. Investigate new ways of making extra cash.

Finally (random rule alert) one of the ferret's distinctive features is the Victory Dance. We will be celebrating our achievements and successes and not dwelling on 'things we have left undone'. If your to do list is worrying you, simplify it. Write down a list of what you have done. Find things to be grateful for each day (no need to write them here if you don't want to) and think about something you have achieved. Then do your Ferret Victory Dance. It's okay to do it behind closed doors.

If any of you think you have done nothing worthy of celebration, I must tell you that my recent 'achievements' include going to my weekly counselling and craft sessions and on really bad days, getting out of bed and having a bath.

The Challenge Rules:
    • The Challenge will commence on the 1st October @ 00:00 and end on the 31st October @ 23:59.
    • Kat Essentials
    • Set your DFD (Debt Free Day)
    • You will pay towards your debt / savings FIRST and live on what’s left. Choose the amount now.
    • Set all budgets before the start of the month, think ahead for any birthdays, outings etc.
    • Random Rule for September Celebrate your achievements with a Victory dance
    • Other Rules
    • Aim for 15 SFD (Spend Free day or No Spend day)
    • Extra cash – share any ideas which work, trawl the other threads for something you haven't tried recently.
    • Learn something new (might be fun)
    • Weekly mini challenge (details in later post)
    • Food budget should be set realistically (ideally at same level as last month or lower unless you have extra mouths to feed). Base your purchases around basics range and yellow stickered items.
    • You will NOT use any of the following; restaurants, cafes, work canteens, vending machines, takeaways ( yes really), Starbucks, Costa, Nero or any other chain cafe!
    • Lunch to work everyday and plan for appointments and days out (last chance for picnics and bbqs).
    • Travel budget – petrol or public transport for work, leisure, hospital appointments. Can you walk/cycle? Can you combine journeys – shopping/ work/ gym?
    • Any other regular budgets – children's activities etc.
    • Healthy eating – up your fruit and veg. If you are already getting your 5 a day (if not why not?) go for 7. Will make you feel better (especially if free or ys) and may help ward off all those annoying bugs which come with the changing seasons.
    • Make a food bank donation (3 items or £3) or alternative charity if preferred
    • Exercise 5 times a week, newbies and poorlies start with 10 minutes a day, get outdoors wherever possible.
    • Regular check ins – daily if possible.
    So who's up for it.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy. 2016 Be Healthy, Be Happy, Have more fun.NST Oct#1 SFD8/15 Budget Food £52.12/ £60 Transport 9.90/£30.Ext £20/ £20 Clutter free 1306/5050. 3-6 Month EF completed 28/01/16 Weight loss 11lb
    Mortgage Free since5.1 1982 Debt Free 11/015/2016
Page 11
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 9th Oct 16, 8:43 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 15,814 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx well done on the run. Very gentle ferret dance.

XSpender doing well all round. Love the l3go and leaves, 2 of my favourite things.

Toni's friend excellent progress.

Seasidegal58 wonderful plan.

Apple thanks for the recipe.

I am definitely ill today. Slept long and heavily. Wasn't hungry but thought I should have something to go with my pills. Went down to get a knife to cuup two apples and the stairs were so difficult that I put something in the oven (checked that DS3 would come and collect it for me when it was done) and brought soft cheese and oatcakes back up with me. Had yoghurt and mint dip and cucumber sticks with lunch.

Had a bath. Hair is a mess (dry and sticking up) but not even attempting to wash it. Read for a bit then slept again (missed DS1's visit) and have eaten my apples and cheese and oatcakes. Discovered cough medicine is not suitable for diabetics so will have to ration that.

Today am grateful for the flu jab (think I would be much worse without it), for finding some missing pills and for relaxing into being ill (decided I am allowed a day or two of slothing and will probably recover sooner than if I struggle to stand up and achieve nothing). Will burrow under the covers and do a very sedate sitting down ferret victory dance (didn't spend ant money, made 'meals' from stores, had a lovely bath).
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy. 2016 Be Healthy, Be Happy, Have more fun.NST Oct#1 SFD8/15 Budget Food £52.12/ £60 Transport 9.90/£30.Ext £20/ £20 Clutter free 1306/5050. 3-6 Month EF completed 28/01/16 Weight loss 11lb
    • swimminginaseaofdebt
    • By swimminginaseaofdebt 9th Oct 16, 10:14 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    Evening everyone,

A bit of a lazy day for me today.

Exercise consisted of a short walk down to the supermarket and back again.

My mum took the little one last night, so I went to see The Girl on the Train before picking him up today. It was good and I enjoyed my 'me' time. I used to go to the cinema weekly before having the baby and I must admit it is something I miss!
    1 debt vs 100 days part 23 #17 - Target 1: £800/£800 Target 2: £185.06/£200
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2016 #150 - £985.06/£1264.05 (78%)
    £1000 emergency fund challenge #193 - £814.86/£1000
    £5 a day in October - £88.65/£155
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 9th Oct 16, 10:25 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 10,320 Thanks
    Hi everyone, well dgd and me went to a local farm today for a look around their as alpacas, they are so cute and the babies are growing quickly and no money has been spent.
    Made a couple of Xmas presents this morning, wheat and lavender bags to heat up and put around your neck, so my craft room smells lovely. There's some wheat and lavender left so I will make some small ones for hand warmers.
    Made another Xmas card, I make cards for immediate family and then make a donation to charity instead of sending them to neighbours and friends, as I have been doing this for years they all know what to expect but I always make an effort to remind them!!!!
    Anyway, off to bed in a minute as I have an early start tomorrow
    Mortgage free and debt free at last, but still frugal as retired. Time to enjoy life on a state pension!!!
    • greent
    • By greent 9th Oct 16, 10:31 PM
    • 5,084 Posts
    • 50,910 Thanks
    Hope you start to feel better soon, mothernerd

Spends - more food shopping today.

Healthy eating - cottage pie (5% lean mince) included onions, peas, swede and carrots. Chicken with rice had garlic, tomatoes, courgettes, chilli, onions and 4 colours of peppers. Messed up a bit with 2 maple syrup pancakes

Mini challenge - planted cyclamens, repotted some violas and pansies. Shifted some compost around and sanded down and oiled another garden table

Exercise/ getting outside - planting and sanding & oiling table took about 90 minutes outside in the sunshine Managed just over 10k steps today

Extra money - 2 more items sold on fleabay today and have been paid for already, so these have been packaged up ready to post tomorrow when I'm out anyway Also claimed just under £5 cashback as a Amazon voucher (bonus % on top) - and then transferred £5 plus the ebay sales money to my account where I'm stashing extra monies towards OH's CC.
    Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Now repaying BTL Mtge. Opening Bal £69786. Current Bal £69786
    Net sales in 2016 £712.18/£500
    Oct grocery spends £291.92/ £350 NSDs 2
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 9th Oct 16, 10:41 PM
    • 2,596 Posts
    • 20,259 Thanks
    Hope everybody who is ill gets better soon.

Not to much to report. Another SFD and my broken lens sold, will make about 18 after fees and postage. Which is not bad considering that working ones retail at 40.

DH will be back tomorrow. He did the same triathlon i did last year but 30 min slower. He is quite disappointed with himself. I honestly believed he would be at least just as fast as me as he got more natural fitness. But i guess our different approaches to teatotalness before the race and training showed. I'm just glad he did it and we'll maybe do it again next year together.

Got a reduced leg of lamb in the SC. Will have some tomorrow for tea and the rest will come with us on holiday. We will need to do a wee grocery shop before voing away too.

Night night
    Last edited by thriftylass; 09-10-2016 at 10:43 PM.
    NST Oct no.5
    SFD 9/15 spend 579/550 Exercise 5/10
    Debt - all 0% 2764/5290 (53% paid off)
    DFD 07/2017
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 9th Oct 16, 10:51 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 900 Thanks
    So, I was hoping for a NSD today but I spent £3.25 at Coop getting some bits for work in the morning (drinks so I don't use vending machine and natural yogurt for breakfast).

I am hoping for a few NSD this week though!

Budgets going well though - I'm on top of that!!! (At least I'm on top of something!) and I have made tomorrow's packed lunch. I'm also NOT going to spend any more money on Costa!!! No more - line drawn!! I now have cup at work and some coffee in my locker!

Exercise wise last week - hit 4/7 10,000 step days. I'll aim for 5/7 this week!!!
    October grocery challenge £115.50/£250 | Emergency £1,000 challenge - £399.44/£1,000 | NSD 5/15
    Credit Card: £209 (0% APR) | Car Finance: £10,674 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £113,243 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £1,457.04
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 9th Oct 16, 10:55 PM
    • 7,322 Posts
    • 47,371 Thanks
    Sorry to hear you've been poorly Mothernerd me and my entire family went down with a horrible bug from Thursday onwards still feeling totally wiped out. Haven't got much of any merit to report. Hope everyone has a good week ahead.
    £999 to pay =63% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 October £1.32 2016-£39.59 2015- £84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 £1136.98 2015 £1027.20
    NST October
    PAYDBX #7 £1691.46/£2,700 (63%)
    GC October £80/£300
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 9th Oct 16, 11:14 PM
    • 7,322 Posts
    • 47,371 Thanks
    Greent congratulations to your son that is brilliant news!!!
    £999 to pay =63% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 October £1.32 2016-£39.59 2015- £84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 £1136.98 2015 £1027.20
    NST October
    PAYDBX #7 £1691.46/£2,700 (63%)
    GC October £80/£300
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Oct 16, 7:48 AM
    • 44,539 Posts
    • 153,703 Thanks
    Thanks for the lovely welcome mothernerd.
    Hope you feel better soon. Take care.

Pleased to report NSD no 1 yesterday.
    Also went for a free taster session at a local fitness studio which has opened really near to me.
    Couldent do some of class but even though muscles aching today.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 3 stone **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. ***Keep plodding***
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Oct 16, 9:02 AM
    • 766 Posts
    • 5,751 Thanks
    Morning Turtles.

I had a golfing weekend which meant no NSD's however it's left me short for the month ahead so I'll be eager to getting the NSD's!

Got my lunch with me today so I'll get a NSD today for sure. Happy days.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    Follow my Debt Free Diary/Save, Save, Save Dairy - "It's not a lot, but it's enough"
    NST (7/15)
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 10th Oct 16, 9:58 AM
    • 3,092 Posts
    • 14,096 Thanks
    Morning all. Up early and popped out for a short 2 mile run, knees have recovered, but I still have a sore spot on the side of my foot, not a blister, just tender.
    Poor BF was limping around getting ready for work this morning.
    I am predicting NSD no.7, as I am just going to crack on with some housework and xmas present making before work tonight.
    Have a good day everyone!
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Oct Grocery Challenge £0.39/£60 Oct NSD's 17/20
    EF Challenger #36
    £7,885.02/£10,000 Lose weight -1.2/10lbs
    • misstara
    • By misstara 10th Oct 16, 10:12 AM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 11,989 Thanks
    Morning all

Currently travelling back up from my weekend away. Had a fab time - lots of good food, wine and catching up with friends and family. Have still got some cash left in my purse so stuck to budget . I managed 1 NSD which takes me up to 3 I think. Really need to put more effort into getting NSDs. Today probably won't be as the bus was delayed from Glasgow so I won't have much time before work. Probably will have to grab a ready meal or something for later.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £637.64 (93.9% paid)
    New flat debt Sept 2016 £520.39 Now £475.65 (8.6% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Gym target - 3/12. Groceries target £118.02/£150. NSD target 11/15.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 10th Oct 16, 10:24 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 26,228 Thanks
    Hi all.

I did spend some money in the end yesterday. I called into Sainsburys and got a YS Vegetable Thai Curry down from £2.50 to 99p and a Covent Garden Soup carton for 55p. I also got DD some flat, black ankle boots for £5.50 in the CS, they haven't been worn and are gorgeous, I have been trying to get her a pair on ebay but the prices are crazy so I was chuffed to bits with these, they are just for school in winter to her feet keep dry rather than shoes.

I have been for a run this morning and will run again this evening hopefully. Will also walk the dog for an hour. Just about to peg the towels out on the line but not sure if they will dry as no wind.

Sold an item on ebay which cleared about £5 after the fees so that has almost paid for DD's boots. I also bought a pair of leggings on ebay, they are the same ones I bought in Next recently for £10 but they have the labels cut out and were £6.99 including postage, I also ordered more running tights as mine have holes in and that type of fabric doesn't seem to repair well but I will still try. If they don't sew they will work as a base layer for cycling.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 10th Oct 16, 10:29 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 10,320 Thanks
    Hi everyone, today will be another sfd as I'm staying in making Xmas presents. Also going to go through my freezer and cupboards to write another menu plan, I have a blackboard on the kitchen wall and just write down meals and then eat them in no particular order as I'm not good at following a list if meals, but I quite like rubbing off meals on the blackboard randomly!!!!
    Anyway off upstairs to craft room (love saying that, but really it's my smallest bedroom with my dining room table in and all my goodies in there and I love it)
    Mortgage free and debt free at last, but still frugal as retired. Time to enjoy life on a state pension!!!
    • Poppy3008
    • By Poppy3008 10th Oct 16, 11:08 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    Well, its been a few days since I posted so figured and update was required!
    NSD - 2/30 not as good as I had hoped but will hopefully make 10 if not 15
    Healthy eating - disaster so need get back on track this week, once the biscuits are eaten!
    Travel - still using car too much
    Extra money - sold an ebay item!!!! yay!! that money will go towards my sisters birthday gift plus have a night shift booked for tomorrow which will help for next months pay
    Mini challenge - I knew I needed some cold tablets and now I have a cold and no tablets. Will get some today when I buy milk
    Learn - had a study day on Sunday to be a Run Leader - excellent and def learnt lots
    Exercise - had to exercise on the study day but with cold this week will be poor but have Run Club tonight but we start with a 3k walk so can manage that, plus walking the dog
    Budgeting - poor, had to pay sister for easter break next year which I was not expecting just yet, cleaner turned up on Friday, unexpectedly so had to pay her (she did a great job though!) Food budget not great - really need to try harder and must make a mal plan for this week but with a cold I never know what I want to eat! Plus I need dog food which again I had not budgeted for. Will note this from now on.
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 10th Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 14,695 Thanks
    Hiya Turtles.

Good weekend even though wasn't as planned feeling accomplished.

After 6 months of trying everyone I knew finally got my fence panels put up by ex bf. Wasn't an easy job, on top of a wall and the original concrete posts weren't straight, plus 2 of the panels were too big. Felt awful was his bday and he fell into the bird bath and got soaked. Took him out for a meal for his hard work and given him a gig ticket as bday pressie. So happy as my house was so overlooked was stressing me out. So private now downstairs can trot about naked well if it was warmer or if I put the heating on

So spendy day Sat plus I bought sensible flat work shoes so comfy and heaps warmer than sandals.

Sunday ended up with gs sitting for the day - ill lad with tonsillitis - really didn't stop chatting all day, bouncing about - so took him onto beach and park and he said he felt better. Think fresh air does help and it was a glorious day here. Homemade soup for lunch so SFD in the bag.

SFD 7/10 including today no desire to go near shops.

Will look at new challenge Mothernerd, as damaged few plants jumping up and down off wall so may hospitalise some into pots in need of some tlc.

Enough of my ramblings back to grindstone.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now 4180
    EFund #9 £110/£1,000 Saving xmas2016 #22 36/366
    PAYDBX 2016 #16 3260/6947.00 3687 to go
    #13 1 debt vs 100 days challenge part 23 1232.67/1800
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 10th Oct 16, 5:47 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    10 October

Hi Everyone

Have had my three portion of fruit and some more vegetable soup for lunch. No rubbish or alcohol so doing quite well with that (it is only Day 2 though).

Think I've caught C's cold so didn't go out. Spent the day catching up on the mountain of washing and ironing that I came back to. At least it was no 1 NSD.

Managed to do a couple of surveys. Somebody does like me after all.

Apple Muncher – Thanks for the recipe. It's no 1 on my list to try. Aldi have parsnips on offer this week so I'll get some next time I'm there. I love making soup.

Mothernerd – Hope your feeling a bit better.

Hope everyone else who has this cold or is feeling unwell gets better soon.

I'm off to have my chilli (from freezer) and baked potato and then I'm off to bed with a hot drink and my book.

Have a good evening.
    • swimminginaseaofdebt
    • By swimminginaseaofdebt 10th Oct 16, 8:01 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    Evening everyone,

Spent most the day studying today which meant I read a few pages of a journal article for around 6 hours trying to figure out what it was saying and ending up none the wiser lol.

Picked the little one up from the childminders and walked back home. Normally I come straight along a main road, but I took a new route today cutting through a residential area which actually ended up being a shortcut albeit with several extra hills thrown in!

Had some healthy salmon for dinner, though the roast potatoes were most probably not....still they tasted good Also popped a few strawberries in my mouth, though not with the salmon of course.

A NSD for me, second of the month. Wonder if I'll get into double digits?!

Received £5 today from a mystery shop I completed back in August and promptly paid that amount off my Natwest credit card.
    Last edited by swimminginaseaofdebt; 10-10-2016 at 9:23 PM.
    1 debt vs 100 days part 23 #17 - Target 1: £800/£800 Target 2: £185.06/£200
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2016 #150 - £985.06/£1264.05 (78%)
    £1000 emergency fund challenge #193 - £814.86/£1000
    £5 a day in October - £88.65/£155
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 10th Oct 16, 8:05 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 15,814 Thanks
    Not going to ,mention everyone by name tonight so well done on racking up NSDs, sticking to budgets, making extra cash and crafting Christmas presents.

Hugs to Bob and anyone else ill/ not fully recovered.

I went downstairs to get the soft cheese and wanted to sit down half way there. Unpegged some of the dry washing and pegged out what was left in the basket. Crawled back upstairs minus the dry clothes and back into bed.

I am 'enjoying' being ill. Sometimes we run round trying to do things or fighting to stay on our feet. Such a relief to just be ill and stay in bed. Reading, watching 'Prime suspect' and cutting out Christmas trees.

Microwaved a curry for tea and added a chopped up green pepper. Loved watching the world (and the clouds) go by. I saw a 3 legged ginger greyhound this afternoon.

Today I am grateful for dogs and animal antics (adorable alpacas), for getting a 'bonkbuster' in with my library books (not really up to the literary novel atm) and for the beautiful double rainbow I saw when collecting the last of the washing.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 10th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 9,593 Thanks
    Get well soon, mothernerd! I think it's great that you manage to keep the thread running when you are feeling so ill.
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.044,11 = £ 2,743.95 (it fluctuates with the exchange rate; I won't update it if it's going down ).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,933Posts Today

7,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Hmmm not good for #xfactor juke box to land on fright night for the hallowean theme. I suspect it actually isn't a fix, but it looks it!

• RT @LondonMudlark: Just found by eye on the Thames foreshore. Roman coin, beautiful condition. I'm a very happy Mudlark #londonmudlark http?

• RT @NHSMillion: If everyone who thinks the NHS is worth fighting for follows & RTs we'd reach a million in no time & have such a strong col?

• Follow Martin