Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Perma prop bulls, are there any left?

Comments

• chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    [/[/B]QUOTE]

Unless they are selling (cough cough)

But I'm not a single property owner, selling my home to buy another, I thought you knew that?
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Even the MSM know it`s a bubble, the half dozen hold outs on here are like the Japanese guy still defending his island for 30 years after the war ended...........:rotfl:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-4148796/The-January-Property-Sale-House-prices-cut-50.html

I have seen a quieter market, largely due to investor numbers declining due to significant stamp duty and income tax rises, which in turn has resulted in tightened buy to let affordability criteria whereby rents have to be very high relative to the mortgage payments.

However, the last couple of weeks things seem to be going 'mad' again. I did a very wide geographical search this week for studios and 1 beds taking in about 10 large towns and found next to nothing available. The prices seem to be rising by the day which vendors pushing prices considerably beyond 'last weeks' prices.

I searched up to 70 miles outside London and it seems the price ripple has engulfed areas that until recently were relatively much cheaper.

Just anecdotal but I think this year could see considerable HPI
  • chucknorris
    Conrad wrote: »
    I have seen a quieter market, largely due to investor numbers declining due to significant stamp duty and income tax rises, which in turn has resulted in tightened buy to let affordability criteria whereby rents have to be very high relative to the mortgage payments.

However, the last couple of weeks things seem to be going 'mad' again. I did a very wide geographical search this week for studios and 1 beds taking in about 10 large towns and found next to nothing available. The prices seem to be rising by the day which vendors pushing prices considerably beyond 'last weeks' prices.

Just anecdotal but I think this year could see considerable HPI

We are currently marketing two properties Conrad, a 2 bed flat in Battersea and a 4 bed house in Hackney. Both went under offer, within a week of going onto the market, just before Xmas. Then both buyers dropped out, just this week for the flat. But just as the flat buyer pulled out, at the same time the house went under offer again. There also seems to be renewed interest in the flat too. So there does seem to be a fair bit of activity.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • AG47
    AG47 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Has there been any perma prop bulls defending their stance here recently? I don't think there have, most have thrown in the towel already
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    AG47 wrote: »
    Has there been any perma prop bulls defending their stance here recently? I don't think there have, most have thrown in the towel already

Thrown in the towel and done what instead?

Property produces rent and capital growth, it isn't a number on a screen, it's real, it works, people aspire to it, it's in short supply, it's a real, fun and satisfying way to invest that often opens up opportunities later on.

It also confers a degree of status, people do admire those with a portfolio. Sounds a bit cheesy I know.
  • Conrad wrote: »
    Thrown in the towel and done what instead?

Property produces rent and capital growth, it isn't a number on a screen, it's real, it works, people aspire to it, it's in short supply, it's a real, fun and satisfying way to invest that often opens up opportunities later on.

It also confers a degree of status, people do admire those with a portfolio. Sounds a bit cheesy I know.

Genius.

I could only dream of having such a wicked and well developed sense of ironic humour.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Fun fact Since the-joker and his thousands of bonus accounts first coined the phrase "perma prop bulls" prices have risen around 30%. That showed 'em!
  • The-Joker
    The-Joker Posts: 718 Forumite
    :rotfl::rotfl:
    Even the MSM know it`s a bubble, the half dozen hold outs on here are like the Japanese guy still defending his island for 30 years after the war ended...........:rotfl:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-4148796/The-January-Property-Sale-House-prices-cut-50.html

:rotfl::rotfl:

Thats a good illustration but i can't see how there could be any permanent prop bulls left as that poor Japanese guy not admitting surrender:rotfl:
    The thing about chaos is, it's fair.
  • chucknorris
    The-Joker wrote: »

Are there really any genuine perma prob bulls left? Or have they all come to accept that property can't defy gravity forever?

Since they only ever existed in your imagination, you'll have to answer that question yourself. I can't recall anyone on here saying property only ever went up, with all the historical evidence about the 70's, late 80's to early 90's and the 2008 corrections, that argument simply wouldn't stand up, and everyone knows it.
  • caronoel
    caronoel Posts: 908 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Joeskeppi wrote: »
    Fun fact Since the-joker and his thousands of bonus accounts first coined the phrase "perma prop bulls" prices have risen around 30%. That showed 'em!

Very true!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport