Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tinas
    • By tinas 28th Sep 16, 8:02 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 12Thanks
    tinas
    Which phone, I need a decent camera on it
    • 28th Sep 16, 8:02 AM
    Which phone, I need a decent camera on it 28th Sep 16 at 8:02 AM
    Hi,

All the reviews say that for a decent camera, I need a galaxy 7 or iPhone 6s (well 7s but I`m really not prepared to go that far).

However, I'm really wondering if I need to spend that much. I need a camera to photograph artwork. As long as it'll take good, accurate close up pictures, in focus then I'll be happy.

I do need a camera for general use, but I can make do with whatever it can do.

I've looked into buying just a camera and decided that's not the answer. I'm no professional photographer and unless I'm going for a half decent bridge camera I might as well use a mobile phone one.

I've taken a look at the mid range 2016 Samsung's, but I'm getting hopelessly lost in reviews.

Any suggestions for good mobile camera phones, mid price range?

Thanks, Tina
Page 1
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 28th Sep 16, 8:57 AM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 1,498 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 28th Sep 16, 8:57 AM
    • 28th Sep 16, 8:57 AM
    have a read here, as you probably know if you have good lighting conditions results are always much better

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/mobile-phone/best-phone-camera-of-2016-3612824/

Bye the way the camera on the cheaper Nexus 5X is the exact same as the Nexus 6p

Last edited by ballyblack; 28-09-2016 at 9:05 AM.
    • tinas
    • By tinas 28th Sep 16, 12:33 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    tinas
    • 28th Sep 16, 12:33 PM
    • 28th Sep 16, 12:33 PM
    Thanks, to be honest, the nexus wasn't even on my radar.

I think I'm right, but to be sure- it's an "lg nexus 5x" and a "Huawei nexus 6p"? Is that right?
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 28th Sep 16, 1:01 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 1,498 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 28th Sep 16, 1:01 PM
    • 28th Sep 16, 1:01 PM
    it's an "lg nexus 5x" and a "Huawei nexus 6p"
    They are both GOOGLE products. The models are made as you mention by the respective manufacturers for google. I have had both, excellent phones with no bloatware(unlike Samsung)and both now running on Android 7 just released.
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 28th Sep 16, 5:51 PM
    • 1,109 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 28th Sep 16, 5:51 PM
    • 28th Sep 16, 5:51 PM
    Which magazine rates the Microsoft Lumia 950 as having the best mobile phone camera, well ahead of the iPhone 6 and slightly better than the Galaxy S7.

The downside is that the rest of the phone is pretty average and you have Windows 10 to contend with.

The choice, as they say, is yours.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 28th Sep 16, 5:54 PM
    • 6,473 Posts
    • 2,740 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 28th Sep 16, 5:54 PM
    • 28th Sep 16, 5:54 PM
    Sony Z3 there are compact and big models, good camera.
    Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too. –Steve Martin
    • love lifer
    • By love lifer 28th Sep 16, 7:51 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    love lifer
    • 28th Sep 16, 7:51 PM
    • 28th Sep 16, 7:51 PM
    Ive just got the Sony Z5 compact and the camera is excellent. Its a fabulous phone all round, have a look at it if you want seriously good pics
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 28th Sep 16, 8:38 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 28th Sep 16, 8:38 PM
    • 28th Sep 16, 8:38 PM
    Ive just got the Sony Z5 compact and the camera is excellent. Its a fabulous phone all round, have a look at it if you want seriously good pics
    Originally posted by love lifer
    Is there any bloatware like on the Samsung's?
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • tinas
    • By tinas 29th Sep 16, 1:40 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    tinas
    • 29th Sep 16, 1:40 PM
    • 29th Sep 16, 1:40 PM
    Thanks everyone. I've just spent some time in carphone warehouse and I've fallen for the p9. That's the phone for me.

I'm going to hold off getting one though as Google are launching the new nexus on Tuesday, I believe. With a launch date rumoured to be 2 or 3 weeks later the p9 price should drop before the end of October.

They might change the nexus brand name. Maybe to pixel?

I am now very relieved and much happier
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 29th Sep 16, 3:17 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    rhysadams
    I know what you have said about the iPhone 7, but I've had one of these recently and I'm running 10.1 on the plus version! The photos are truly amazing, when using them for day to day work they look so much better than my Canon 5D. You satrt to lose quality when you blow them up big, but its very rare for me to do large scale work! Take the plunge!
    • love lifer
    • By love lifer 29th Sep 16, 7:24 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    love lifer
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    No I dont think so. all very simple and straightforward. Ive disabled stuff i dont want and theres tons of storage anyway
    • tinas
    • By tinas 14th Oct 16, 10:11 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    tinas
    Hi,

I finally saw a deal I liked and got a phone. My family are relieved that my phone obsession is now over!

I got a P9 from o2, through carphone warehouse. £26.50, 3gb and unlimited minutes and texts. I'm sure there are better deals out there but I'm not going anywhere near Vodafone and too nervous to try companies I don't recognise. So I'm happy.

I love the camera

Thanks for your help
    • BadBehaviour
    • By BadBehaviour 15th Oct 16, 12:22 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    BadBehaviour
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    I had a Sony M4 Aqua which comes with just 8GB of storage and it had lots of bloatware. I had an S6, which I sold, and now an S7 Edge and Samsung has cut down drastically on the bloatware.

I see people still think Samsung phones are full of bloatware... not anymore. From my experience the Sony was pretty bad with the bloatware but can't speak for the most recent models. Samsung used to be bad too but has improved a lot.

On my phone as new I had the Office suite installed and not much else that would qualify as bloatware in my opinion. I even kept that as I do use it.
    • tinas
    • By tinas 15th Oct 16, 12:49 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    tinas
    I think it also depends on what people define as 'bloatware'. Most techy devices these days, come pre-installed with a cross section of games and apps that people might like.

A lot of people might see this as 'bloatware', but it's really just stuff to show the new user what the device capabilities are. I always go through this stuff and
    Uninstall what I don't want within a few days.

Of course, Samsung add onto the android operating system, and this is what some are referring to. But Samsung are far from alone. My phone has some, my tablet is an Acer one and that has some. At the end of the day it's down to personal choice and individual user needs
    • leitmotif
    • By leitmotif 16th Oct 16, 5:29 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    leitmotif
    If it's for photographing your art work and you don't necessarily need a high-quality camera for on the go, then why not save yourself £20/month on a high-spec phone (£480 over a 24-month contract!) by going for a cheaper phone that meets your needs and buy a half-decent point-and-shoot camera for under £100?
    Last edited by leitmotif; 16-10-2016 at 5:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,018Posts Today

7,141Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin