Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 27th Sep 16, 11:05 AM
    • 166Posts
    • 23Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: You may be able to reclaim £1,000s in council tax
    • 27th Sep 16, 11:05 AM
    MSE News: You may be able to reclaim £1,000s in council tax 27th Sep 16 at 11:05 AM
    10,000s of people who've lived with someone with a 'severe mental impairment' may be able to reclaim council tax...
    Read the full story:
    'Lived with someone with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's or a similar illness? You may be able to reclaim £1,000s in council tax'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 1
    • CIS
    • By CIS 15th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    • 9,405 Posts
    • 5,316 Thanks
    CIS
    • 15th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    A Class U exemption will apply when only people who are disregarded as severely mentally impaired are resident in a property.

The point regarding backdating is also an issue now - case law and tribunal decisions now restrict backdating to a period of 6 years (as per the Limitation Act 1980) . There is a possibility an argument could be made under S32 of the Limitation Act 1980 (which covers mistakes) but this has not yet been tested in a case.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • silvermum
    • By silvermum 2nd Nov 16, 3:27 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    silvermum
    • 2nd Nov 16, 3:27 PM
    • 2nd Nov 16, 3:27 PM
    Does anyone know how the judgement about what constitutes 'severely mentally impaired' is made?
    My father had Parkinson's for 3 years, living alone in sheltered accommodation with definite cognitive impairment in my opinion, but only saw his GP/consultant once or twice a year.
    He paid full Council Tax -25% single household discount. Just wonder if I should try to make a retrospective claim?
    • CIS
    • By CIS 2nd Nov 16, 6:34 PM
    • 9,405 Posts
    • 5,316 Thanks
    CIS
    • 2nd Nov 16, 6:34 PM
    • 2nd Nov 16, 6:34 PM
    Does anyone know how the judgement about what constitutes 'severely mentally impaired' is made?
    My father had Parkinson's for 3 years, living alone in sheltered accommodation with definite cognitive impairment in my opinion, but only saw his GP/consultant once or twice a year.
    He paid full Council Tax -25% single household discount. Just wonder if I should try to make a retrospective claim?
    Originally posted by silvermum
    The decision has to be made by a 'registered medical professional' i.e. a Dr ,that he was SMI for the period in question- he would also have to be entitled to a qualifying benefit.

Three years is certainly within the realms of what can be backdated (with the proof).

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • silvermum
    • By silvermum 4th Nov 16, 1:18 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    silvermum
    • 4th Nov 16, 1:18 PM
    • 4th Nov 16, 1:18 PM
    OK - have sent off a letter with GP/consultant letters. Fingers crossed!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,098Posts Today

6,098Users online

Martin's Twitter