Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 27th Sep 16, 10:41 AM
    • 26,071Posts
    • 12,533Thanks
    Cardew
    Eon - Customer loyalty??
    • 27th Sep 16, 10:41 AM
    Eon - Customer loyalty?? 27th Sep 16 at 10:41 AM
    I have a particular hate of firms - banks, Sky etc - who offer attractive deals that are not available for existing customers. - a kind of 'reverse loyalty'!

I have today received an email from Money Supermarket about their new 'Collective' tariff with Eon( Saver Fixed 1-year v1). Amongst the conditions is this statement:

Availability: Not available to existing Eon customers****

You can’t get this deal directly from Eon
    I appreciate this has been mentioned before in the forum, but not specifically about the practice of excluding existing customers from cheap tariffs.

At least with the much maligned British Gas, customers on any of their tariffs - including the MSE Feb 17 Collective - can switch to the MSE Oct 2017 Collective without penalty and still get £30 cashback from MSE.

IMO Eon should be ashamed of introducing this practice of excluding existing customers from the cheaper tariffs - especially in light of Ofgem's declared policy of simplifying tariff structures.

The very helpful Malc and Helena from Eon contribute to this forum. Perhaps they can convey this message to their 'masters'.
Page 5
    • Micron
    • By Micron 9th Oct 16, 8:30 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Micron
    I have been with EON for 7.5 years. I have been offered renewal of my current 'fix' (expiring 31 Oct) at an increase of 30%. I cannot access any of the special deals on comparison sites as they are restricted to new customers. I have spoken at length to EON Customer Services and they offer nothing except 'Tesco points' (worth £5 annually against a £219 increase). The economics of this marketing strategy escape me. So I have actioned a switch to SSE which will cost only £747 annually against my current £716 and an EON offer of £935
    Originally posted by Tertiian
    I'm with you 100% Tertiian, I have been a long time E.on customer and why have I not switched from E.on before now because there has always been an E.on tariff which was within a pound or two a week of the competition, albeit usually a few pounds more.
    If I were to stay with E.on this year it would cost me at least £295 extra on my bill, that's not just a few pounds.

Addendum: Loyalty is a two-way relationship. Would have accepted a small increase to stay with EON on basis of past dealings/prices but they have made this impossible. So much for the fine words about 'customer ethos'.. Pure BS!
    One of my main gripes about E.on is the hollow and weasel worded marketing speak on their website and in the many company reports, such as;

** "E.on we're on it" (never been exactly sure what E.on is on)
    ** "Helping all our customers pay less, we're on it."
    ** "Putting customers first.".
    ** "Earn the trust of our customers,"
    ** "Our customers want to know they are paying a fair price for the energy they buy from us."
    ** "Our customers are at the heart of everything we do."
    ** "Continuing to put our customers first"

The list goes on but I suppose the above could be easily covered by, ** Applies to new customers only.
    Last edited by Micron; 10-10-2016 at 12:12 AM.
    • richard 3095
    • By richard 3095 10th Oct 16, 8:41 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    richard 3095
    I think it's likely EON will be ditched by me. Now that I'm not using gas, I don't think EON will offer me a single fuel tariff. I think they will only offer a duel fuel one, where I'll pay £65 gas standing charges, when I'm using no gas. It's seems to be the case that EON are saying "We will remove your gas meter, at your cost - then you can have a single fuel deal". Crazy, IMHO.
    Last edited by richard 3095; 10-10-2016 at 8:44 PM.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Oct 16, 9:08 PM
    • 15,052 Posts
    • 9,391 Thanks
    molerat
    E.ON supply my electricity, EDF supply my gas. No problems here. Are you still in a fixed term deal ?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • richard 3095
    • By richard 3095 10th Oct 16, 11:08 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    richard 3095
    E.ON supply my electricity, EDF supply my gas. No problems here. Are you still in a fixed term deal ?
    Originally posted by molerat
    I've started off with a duel fuel deal - E.ON EnergyPlan. "Prices are not fixed." I can cancel at any time and there is no plan end date. It was a fair deal, until I've had my gas capped. Because I'm paying £65 pa, standing charge when gas usage is zero.

I think EON site itself shows I'm on their best deal, even with zero gas usage. But, surely I could do better. I might if EON would put me on a single fuel deal, but their system does not come up with such a deal. If that is the case, I would have a problem having EON supplying electricity and another supplier supplying gas.

Assumed electricity consumption: 3100 kWh Assumed gas consumption: 257Kw. I'm a small energy user.

The way the conversation was going it seemed to be that EON was saying, have us remove your gas meter (at my expense) then there will be no gas standing charge. Frankly- idiotic - IMHO.
    Last edited by richard 3095; 10-10-2016 at 11:21 PM.
    • Tertiian
    • By Tertiian 11th Oct 16, 1:03 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Tertiian
    The Big Telegraph Energy Switch
    Hope this proves useful/helpful? The DT are gathering interested parties for a collective deal they are putting together on energy. Supplier/rates not yet known, but they say they will notify by 1 Nov.

The unique tariff will only be available to those who register. Friends and family can also join and get access to the exclusive deal.

From the 1st November the winning deal/s will be available at bigtelegraphswitchdotcom. They will contact you with details.

Register interest at BigTelegraphSwitchdotcodotuk or by calling 0800 542 7159
    Last edited by Tertiian; 11-10-2016 at 1:34 AM.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Oct 16, 9:44 AM
    • 15,052 Posts
    • 9,391 Thanks
    molerat
    I've started off with a duel fuel deal - E.ON EnergyPlan. "Prices are not fixed." I can cancel at any time and there is no plan end date. It was a fair deal, until I've had my gas capped. Because I'm paying £65 pa, standing charge when gas usage is zero.

I think EON site itself shows I'm on their best deal, even with zero gas usage. But, surely I could do better. I might if EON would put me on a single fuel deal, but their system does not come up with such a deal. If that is the case, I would have a problem having EON supplying electricity and another supplier supplying gas.

Assumed electricity consumption: 3100 kWh Assumed gas consumption: 257Kw. I'm a small energy user.

The way the conversation was going it seemed to be that EON was saying, have us remove your gas meter (at my expense) then there will be no gas standing charge. Frankly- idiotic - IMHO.
    Originally posted by richard 3095
    You are obviously asking the wrong questions then. The front line staff are just telling you that you cannot get the SC removed whilst you have a meter installed. Just move your gas away. All you will lose is the dual fuel discount, the actual tariff will remain the same. Almost anything will be cheaper than EnergyPlan.
    Last edited by molerat; 11-10-2016 at 10:05 AM.
    • richard 3095
    • By richard 3095 11th Oct 16, 10:39 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    richard 3095
    You are obviously asking the wrong questions then. The front line staff are just telling you that you cannot get the SC removed whilst you have a meter installed. Just move your gas away. All you will lose is the dual fuel discount, the actual tariff will remain the same. Almost anything will be cheaper than EnergyPlan.
    Originally posted by molerat
    I think the penny is dropping regarding meters: I thought a meter could not be associated with an account. But obviously every meter must come under some account or other.

It seems a bit drastic when gas is temporarily capped to have the meter removed, then when the need for gas arises someone to come and put the meter in again.

Not sure what my local council will say, they being my landlord.

I think Scottish Power will offer a better deal on the electricity and they will not apply a gas standing charge on the gas account.

Obviously it's impossible to only have a single fuel arrangement. Unless one meter is removed. Has this always been the case?

Obviously you can have single fuel deal, if you get gas and elect. from separate suppliers. But if you simply cap gas off, you still are required to have a duel fuel arrangement.
    Last edited by richard 3095; 11-10-2016 at 10:48 AM.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Oct 16, 10:53 AM
    • 15,052 Posts
    • 9,391 Thanks
    molerat
    You can have just your gas, gas and electric or just electric supplied by whoever you wish. Just because you have 2 fuels you do not have to get them both from the same supplier. Admittedly there are many suppliers that will not supply gas only but there are also many who will. As I said before, get your gas from Ebico as a single fuel with no standing charge and then your electric from someone else. If your quoted gas use was correct they may well have been competitive when you were using it. Are you sure SP will provide a NSC tariff ? You need to put those figures into a comparison site and see what comes out.
    Last edited by molerat; 11-10-2016 at 11:36 AM.
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 16th Oct 16, 7:59 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 952 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    You certainly did make me laugh fredandwilma. Made a nice change after recent weeks. Must look at those collectives too.

Have a good weekend.

Malc
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    Hi Malc,

I trust you had a good break?

I'm interested to know which tariff you chose?

I suspect you may find it slightly quieter on here now as more complaints shift to British Gas.
    yabba dabba don't
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON Tariffs
    Hi Malc,

I trust you had a good break?

I'm interested to know which tariff you chose?

I suspect you may find it slightly quieter on here now as more complaints shift to British Gas.
    Originally posted by fredandwilma
    First day back today fredandwilma and just catching up. Mother's moved in with the wife and I so don't need to make any tariff decisions straightaway thankfully.

Worthwhile if stressful break thanks.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 18th Oct 16, 5:58 PM
    • 3,064 Posts
    • 1,615 Thanks
    MABLE
    Hope this proves useful/helpful? The DT are gathering interested parties for a collective deal they are putting together on energy. Supplier/rates not yet known, but they say they will notify by 1 Nov.

The unique tariff will only be available to those who register. Friends and family can also join and get access to the exclusive deal.

From the 1st November the winning deal/s will be available at bigtelegraphswitchdotcom. They will contact you with details.

Register interest at BigTelegraphSwitchdotcodotuk or by calling 0800 542 7159
    Originally posted by Tertiian
    Hopefully it will be E.on.
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 19th Oct 16, 7:10 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 952 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    First day back today fredandwilma and just catching up. Mother's moved in with the wife and I so don't need to make any tariff decisions straightaway thankfully.

Malc

That reads as if you don't reside with your wife?

There are some collectives around at the moment. Did you register for the Big Community Switch? Offers available from 24th October, I'm expecting to see an E.on saver v4 tariff win, (for new customers only.)
    yabba dabba don't
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 19th Oct 16, 9:09 AM
    • 26,071 Posts
    • 12,533 Thanks
    Cardew
    As a matter of interest, what is Eon's definition of an existing customer barred from getting the cheap tariffs?

If Mr A, an Eon customer, gets Mrs A to apply for the cheap tariff; is that allowed?

What if married daughter(Mrs B) applies for the cheap tariff at her parents address?

Presumably if I(Mr C) bought Mr A's house I would have no problem in getting the cheap tariff. I wonder if the computer software is sophisticated enough to detect that Mrs A and Mrs B are not new occupants?
    • Scaleyback
    • By Scaleyback 19th Oct 16, 12:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Scaleyback
    E.ON..the new British Gas
    Loyalty, that's a joke.

We have just had our new quote from E.ON as our fixed tariff runs out in November.

E.ON are 33% more expensive than 4 of the big six providers and 50+ of the smaller.

I emailed the CEO and had a nice reply from his office. Basically, that's their tariff, take it or leave it. E.ON do not price match and consider their prices to be reasonable.

14 years of loyalty to E.ON and they don't give a damn that their prices are extortionate.

When the CEO's department of a large corporation do not care about being competitive, it's the end of the company. This has happened to so many big companies that you would think the penny would drop and these overpaid Captains of Industry would wake up and count the cost (or in our case, the deserting customers). We are switching to EDF for an annual saving of £350.

E.ON, the new British Gas.
    • FOREVER21
    • By FOREVER21 19th Oct 16, 1:56 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 928 Thanks
    FOREVER21
    As a matter of interest, what is Eon's definition of an existing customer barred from getting the cheap tariffs?

If Mr A, an Eon customer, gets Mrs A to apply for the cheap tariff; is that allowed?

What if married daughter(Mrs B) applies for the cheap tariff at her parents address?

Presumably if I(Mr C) bought Mr A's house I would have no problem in getting the cheap tariff. I wonder if the computer software is sophisticated enough to detect that Mrs A and Mrs B are not new occupants?
    Originally posted by Cardew
    I don't have the answer, but as I recall from an earlier post,somewhere? the transfer procedure is based on amongst other things the gas/ electric meter numbers so their computer would likely not accept it as being a " new" account.

It will be interesting to see what Malc. has to say on this one I have put my OH on standby to open an account.!
    Last edited by FOREVER21; 19-10-2016 at 1:59 PM.
    • bumpercars99
    • By bumpercars99 19th Oct 16, 3:39 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    bumpercars99
    I don't think you could get the new tariff if you moved into a house currently supplied by Eon. When you set up your account with opening readings on moving in, you would become an existing customer and couldn't switch onto the new tariff.

As such this workaround of changing the account holder won't work and is pointless.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 19th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 26,071 Posts
    • 12,533 Thanks
    Cardew
    I don't think you could get the new tariff if you moved into a house currently supplied by Eon. When you set up your account with opening readings on moving in, you would become an existing customer and couldn't switch onto the new tariff.

As such this workaround of changing the account holder won't work and is pointless.
    Originally posted by bumpercars99
    Surely that is incorrect(I hope).

I accept that if I moved into a house supplied by Eon, I would be placed on a 'deemed tariff' with Eon. However it would be stretching a point to claim I was an existing client of Eon and thus not eligible for a cheap tariff.

Surely the purpose of this disgraceful practice by Eon is that they estimate that more people will be unaware they are being ripped-off, than those who will move supplier - 'inertia wins'.

What annoys me even more is that Ofgem issued a directive to companies to simplify tariffs so those customers who found tariffs too difficult to understand would be able to get a cheaper tariff. This flies in the face of that directive.
    E.ON Saver Tariffs

Surely that is incorrect(I hope).

I accept that if I moved into a house supplied by Eon, I would be placed on a 'deemed tariff' with Eon. However it would be stretching a point to claim I was an existing client of Eon and thus not eligible for a cheap tariff.

Surely the purpose of this disgraceful practice by Eon is that they estimate that more people will be unaware they are being ripped-off, than those who will move supplier - 'inertia wins'.

What annoys me even more is that Ofgem issued a directive to companies to simplify tariffs so those customers who found tariffs too difficult to understand would be able to get a cheaper tariff. This flies in the face of that directive.

Hello Cardew

Our systems use the supply numbers to see whether or not we supply a property. The Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN) for electricity and Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) for gas identify the property and tell us whether or not we already supply it. If we do, the Saver Tariffs won't be available regardless of whose name the account is in.

As you say, when moving into a new home already supplied by us, the person responsible automatically becomes our customer as soon as they use energy under the 'deemed contract' arrangement. Again, the Saver Tariffs won't be available.

Hope this explains.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    E.ON Tariffs

Malc
    That reads as if you don't reside with your wife?

There are some collectives around at the moment. Did you register for the Big Community Switch? Offers available from 24th October, I'm expecting to see an E.on saver v4 tariff win, (for new customers only.)
    Originally posted by fredandwilma
    With both of us fredandwilma unless there's something I don't know???

Malc
    Switching from E.ON
    Loyalty, that's a joke.

We have just had our new quote from E.ON as our fixed tariff runs out in November.

E.ON are 33% more expensive than 4 of the big six providers and 50+ of the smaller.

I emailed the CEO and had a nice reply from his office. Basically, that's their tariff, take it or leave it. E.ON do not price match and consider their prices to be reasonable.

14 years of loyalty to E.ON and they don't give a damn that their prices are extortionate.

When the CEO's department of a large corporation do not care about being competitive, it's the end of the company. This has happened to so many big companies that you would think the penny would drop and these overpaid Captains of Industry would wake up and count the cost (or in our case, the deserting customers). We are switching to EDF for an annual saving of £350.

E.ON, the new British Gas.
    Originally posted by Scaleyback
    Hello Scaleyback and welcome to the Forums.

Just a quick heads up. Don't know if you're aware but, as your current fixed tariff runs out next month, you'll be within the Price Protection window. This is open 49 calendar days before a tariff ends until 20 working days after. During this time and provided we're told, you'll be kept on the cheaper prices whilst the account switches away. Exit fees also don't apply whilst this window is open.

Sorry to lose you and hope this is of interest.

Malc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,345Posts Today

7,862Users online

Martin's Twitter