Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 26th Sep 16, 10:13 PM
    • 3,845Posts
    • 7,303Thanks
    iammumtoone
    how do I know if my pc is doing something in the backgroud
    • 26th Sep 16, 10:13 PM
    how do I know if my pc is doing something in the backgroud 26th Sep 16 at 10:13 PM
    Windows 10 just did a (very) long update and re-start

I can now use the PC but the internet is very very slow, I suspect perhaps the update is still doing something in the background?

How can I check? I remember years ago (dial up) when an update was downloading there would be an icon in the bottom corner indicating this so you knew everything would run a lot slower than usual, why is it not so simple any more
Page 2
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 29th Sep 16, 7:43 PM
    • 3,845 Posts
    • 7,303 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Thank you

I have check and my system has 8GB of memory, the page file is set at maximum 1920mb, is that ok? doesn't seem too high to me?

I have nothing in the recycle bin and hardy anything stored on the machine, it gets used mainly for internet browsing and my sons homework.

I already did a defrag it was one of the first things I tried, I will also do the disc clean as recommended.

Its is slightly better today but not back to before update speed yet, maybe if I give it more time it will sort itself out (heres hoping

Thank you again to those who have taken the time to help.
    • jshm2
    • By jshm2 29th Sep 16, 8:25 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    jshm2
    It may seem a bit of obvious advice but have you done the TIOTIO (turn it off turn it on) routine?

If it's slow to shut down and start into Windows then you can be fairly certain something is running the background. If not then it could be your AV scanner working double time or a utility update. These are notorious in Lenovo and Toshiba machines as they have "helper utilities" that tend to cause more bother than they are worth.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 29th Sep 16, 8:44 PM
    • 3,845 Posts
    • 7,303 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    It may seem a bit of obvious advice but have you done the TIOTIO (turn it off turn it on) routine?
    Originally posted by jshm2
    I have tried both shutting it down and restarting it several times. It gets shut down every night, I don't leave it on.

I haven't switched it off at the socket on the wall, would that make a difference? I will give it a go, it can't hurt.

Its a Dell desktop
    • prowla
    • By prowla 29th Sep 16, 11:42 PM
    • 9,446 Posts
    • 7,412 Thanks
    prowla
    Thank you

I have check and my system has 8GB of memory, the page file is set at maximum 1920mb, is that ok? doesn't seem too high to me?

I have nothing in the recycle bin and hardy anything stored on the machine, it gets used mainly for internet browsing and my sons homework.

I already did a defrag it was one of the first things I tried, I will also do the disc clean as recommended.

Its is slightly better today but not back to before update speed yet, maybe if I give it more time it will sort itself out (heres hoping

Thank you again to those who have taken the time to help.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    My work laptop gets slower and slower (it's an i7 machine with 16 GB RAM!!!) and I have to do a disk check maybe every month.
    • jrtfan
    • By jrtfan 30th Sep 16, 1:33 AM
    • 907 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    jrtfan
    Would you know what type of processor you have, is your PC older/newer? Also, when you have TaskManager open under Processes, can you see where all the resources are being grabbed and by what? (ie is it in CPU?)

I think if you click on the Start-up tab in TaskManager, it should show you a list of background processes that you can enable or disable by right-clicking on them. To the right should be a column headed Start-up impact, which indicates whether each process is high, medium or low. I wonder if these might be the background apps you've been getting notifications about? If you disable any with high impact, does this make your PC any faster?
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 30th Sep 16, 3:31 PM
    • 3,845 Posts
    • 7,303 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Would you know what type of processor you have, is your PC older/newer? Also, when you have TaskManager open under Processes, can you see where all the resources are being grabbed and by what? (ie is it in CPU?)

I think if you click on the Start-up tab in TaskManager, it should show you a list of background processes that you can enable or disable by right-clicking on them. To the right should be a column headed Start-up impact, which indicates whether each process is high, medium or low. I wonder if these might be the background apps you've been getting notifications about? If you disable any with high impact, does this make your PC any faster?
    Originally posted by jrtfan
    Its Intel core i3-4150 CPU @3.50 GHz

It s about a year to year and half old, in PC terms that might be quite old but to me it is relatively new and I am expecting it to last me a good while yet, I am not bothered about new faster/better machines when they come out, just expect my current one to work as it did when purchased!

Task manager currently 32% memory, 5% CPU but if just sitting on desktop with everything shut its CPU only.

Will try closing down high impact start ups.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 30th Sep 16, 3:33 PM
    • 3,845 Posts
    • 7,303 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I checked my disc and it said it was fine. no errors.

I left the machine on last night am trying that to see if it helps. I have been told that I shouldn't shut it down every night, I prefer to as I like to make sure must things are switch off before bed and its never been an issue before but maybe it will help if I leave it on?
    Last edited by iammumtoone; 30-09-2016 at 3:38 PM.
    • rmg1
    • By rmg1 30th Sep 16, 4:29 PM
    • 2,819 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    rmg1
    Just out of curiosity, which A/V are you using (and have you got more than one running)?

From memory, Windows has one built-in and you shouldn't be running another one without ensuring the built-in one is switched off.
    Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse?

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 30th Sep 16, 4:49 PM
    • 6,806 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    esuhl
    I left the machine on last night am trying that to see if it helps. I have been told that I shouldn't shut it down every night, I prefer to as I like to make sure must things are switch off before bed and its never been an issue before but maybe it will help if I leave it on?
    It's better to turn your PC off when you're not using it, as it can use a fair bit of electricity otherwise.

And restarting it will make sure that any programs running will be closed -- which can be useful if some hidden application or service has crashed or malfunctioned.

I certainly wouldn't leave any PC on all the time.
    • jrtfan
    • By jrtfan 1st Oct 16, 11:35 AM
    • 907 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    jrtfan
    Its Intel core i3-4150 CPU @3.50 GHz

It s about a year to year and half old, in PC terms that might be quite old but to me it is relatively new and I am expecting it to last me a good while yet, I am not bothered about new faster/better machines when they come out, just expect my current one to work as it did when purchased!

Task manager currently 32% memory, 5% CPU but if just sitting on desktop with everything shut its CPU only.

Will try closing down high impact start ups.
    My processor is only 1.60GHz, so yours is much faster - I was wondering if it might have been something to do with running Win10 with a slower processor, but obviously not.

My laptop is currently running at 3% CPU and 36% Memory with no desktop applications open, the same as yours.

I'm wondering if the problem might be with your router and/or your drivers.

1. Have you tried physically switching your router off (incl disconnecting the power cable), wait at least 10secs, reconnect all cables then switch on again? (Removing cables might help to discharge any static buildup which could potentially interfere with the WiFi signal - it's a long shot, but worth a go).

2. Do you use a range extender? Win10 users have reported some compatibility issues with certain manufacturers, try removing the range extender and trying your PC again.

3. Does turning off your PC's Bluetooth connection make any difference?

4. Try troubleshooting your network adapter (control panel - troubleshoot problems - network and sharing - network adaptor - advanced - run as administrator). Get it to check all connection, it'll probably report an Ethernet cable is missing or unplugged, but that's okay. Does it report any other issues?

5. Win10 is probably set up to check automatically for driver updates, but it's worth checking these yourself as well and downloading any later drivers if prompted (you should be able to check using Device Manager).

6. Is there any way you could get your PC close enough to the router to connect via Ethernet? It would be really useful to know if this makes a difference because it would narrow the possibilities down a lot.
    Last edited by jrtfan; 02-10-2016 at 1:08 AM.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 1st Oct 16, 12:50 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    JohnB47
    I second the post by rmg1. What virus checker are you using and moreover, have you tried turning it off, then turning the pc off and on? Just for a short period of course, while you access whether your pc behaves better.

I also would like to find some sort of app that loads when I turn on the pc, or when I take it off standby and shows me what the pc is doing - cpu loading, hard disk access, wi-fi access etc. My new laptop has none of the visual indicators for these things that my previous laptop had.

I know I can use Task Manager for this but you have to open it yourself and it's held up loading by the very things you want to see details of.
    • jrtfan
    • By jrtfan 1st Oct 16, 12:57 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    jrtfan
    It's better to turn your PC off when you're not using it, as it can use a fair bit of electricity otherwise.

And restarting it will make sure that any programs running will be closed -- which can be useful if some hidden application or service has crashed or malfunctioned.

I certainly wouldn't leave any PC on all the time.
    Originally posted by esuhl

I agree with this.

I wonder why you were advised to keep it running all the time? The only circumstances I can think of when this would be justified is if the PC is in use as a server; or a backup of large volumes of data has been set to run overnight.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 1st Oct 16, 1:51 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    JohnB47
    I seem to remember reading that turning off and on is likely to create power system failures. Perhaps it's no longer relevant but the idea remains. A similar thing exists with new led light technology - apparently the figures for longevety are very optimistic because, although the led itself is very reliable, the units will fail earlier because the circuitry doesn't like repeated on/off cycles.
    • jrtfan
    • By jrtfan 1st Oct 16, 2:33 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    jrtfan
    I seem to remember reading that turning off and on is likely to create power system failures. Perhaps it's no longer relevant but the idea remains. A similar thing exists with new led light technology - apparently the figures for longevety are very optimistic because, although the led itself is very reliable, the units will fail earlier because the circuitry doesn't like repeated on/off cycles.
    Originally posted by JohnB47
    I can see what you mean, and I've heard something along those lines as well. But it was more in the context of sudden catastrophic power failure, such as when a computer is turned off at its power switch (or there is an actual power cut), rather than by it powering down in sequence. As you say though, that was then and maybe today's equipment is more robust. The LED failure you mention does make sense.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 1st Oct 16, 3:30 PM
    • 6,806 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    esuhl
    Originally posted by JohnB47
    Electron shock, I think it's called. But how many components on your PCs have ever failed because of it...? Statistically, you'll save much more money by turning the PC off when you're not using it.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 12th Oct 16, 8:52 PM
    • 3,845 Posts
    • 7,303 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    UPDATE

I was still having problems. I discovered it was the wireless network adapter as I keep troubleshooting it and it would fix itself, them 10 minutes later I would need to do the same again.

After googling I uninstalled the adapter, restarted and entered my router password again and (fingers crossed) it seems to have solved the issue I have only just tried this but hopefully it is a permanent fix.

EDIT: Its stopped working again

I ran a diagnose on the network adapter and it had to fix it again. It worked fine for a bit. I did notice that it connected itself to a site showing mobile version and after that if started to go slow again, so then I did the check.

Any ideas how I resolve this permanently? Can I purchase anything to fix it? (Not a Ethernet cable as its not practical to run wires right across the room)
    Last edited by iammumtoone; 12-10-2016 at 9:01 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,680Posts Today

6,381Users online

Martin's Twitter