Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Paulo205
    • By Paulo205 26th Sep 16, 1:52 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Paulo205
    PCN - APCOA at Birmingham Airport
    • 26th Sep 16, 1:52 PM
    PCN - APCOA at Birmingham Airport 26th Sep 16 at 1:52 PM
    Hello everyone,

Firstly, as a newbie, I have read through the newbies post, and searched and read about other cases on this forum.

I am asking for advice based on the belief that my circumstances are not fully covered by what I have read so far. Apologies if what I am posting has already been covered and I have missed it.

I have received a letter from Debt Recovery Plus (I know, you don't want to hear about one of these...!) stating that I owe £150 to APCOA for "dropping off/picking up outside of a designated area" at Birmingham Airport. The date of the offence was 3rd April 2016, the letter from DRP dated 16th September 2016. The reason this has taken its time to arrive at my door is due to a change of address and a little sloppiness paperwork wise on my behalf (V5C not updated). This has now been dealt with.

My question is based around what my next steps should be. Being from DRP, the advice on here seems to be ignore this letter, but this is effectively my first letter about the incident and therefore my NTK. Should I ignore this, or respond to APCOA through the appeal letter as would be the case if the letter had come from APCOA directly and received around the time of the incident? I have received no photographic evidence of the incident. IIRC I stopped outside the IBIS hotel due to a massive queue to get into the drop off parking.

If anyone can help with this, I'd be very grateful.

Paul
Page 1
    • dazster
    • By dazster 26th Sep 16, 2:26 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    dazster
    • 26th Sep 16, 2:26 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 2:26 PM
    It is not your NTK. It's not even from the parking company, it's just a poxy debt collector.

Ignore DRP. You can also ignore APCOA, they are toothless.

Was this DRP letter sent to your previous address and forwarded to you? Or was it sent directly to your new address?
    Why does anyone think a polemical journalist could possibly be qualified for any office of state?
    • Paulo205
    • By Paulo205 26th Sep 16, 3:04 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paulo205
    • 26th Sep 16, 3:04 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 3:04 PM
    The DRP letter was addressed to my current address, not forwarded. No doubt they have been through various channels and obtained insurance information on the car linking it to my current address.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 26th Sep 16, 4:09 PM
    • 5,446 Posts
    • 4,964 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 26th Sep 16, 4:09 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 4:09 PM
    VCS are obliged to get then details from the DVLA within 14 days of the incident (ANPR ticket) failure to do this makes the offence non POFA compliant

you may wish to send the following letter to the DVLA (amend accordingly) to find out when they applied for your info

Example Letter
    [Your Address]
    DVLA Vehicle Record Enquiries section
    Longview Road
    Morriston
    Swansea
    SA99 1AJ
    Dear Sirs
    Re: VRM AB12 XYZ
    As the Registered Keeper of the above VRM could you advise who has accessed my personal details with regards to this marque, how often and when did the DVLA send the keeper details out. Please advise the information with regards to events between xx/xx/xx/ and xx/xx/xx.
    I understand there is no charge for this information and look forward to your speedy reply.
    Yours faithfully
    Mr Registered Ke
    Have YOU had to walk 500 miles?
    Were you advised to walk 500 more?
    You could be entitled to compensation.
    Call the Pro Claimers NOW.
    • Paulo205
    • By Paulo205 26th Sep 16, 6:16 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paulo205
    • 26th Sep 16, 6:16 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 6:16 PM
    Sorry, who are VCS?

Can I safely ignore the DRP letter, only responding via appeal if I receive correspondence from APCOA themselves?
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 26th Sep 16, 6:28 PM
    • 5,446 Posts
    • 4,964 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 26th Sep 16, 6:28 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 6:28 PM
    Sorry, who are VCS?

Can I safely ignore the DRP letter, only responding via appeal if I receive correspondence from APCOA themselves?
    Originally posted by Paulo205

who is the parking company , who are DRP acting for?
    • Paulo205
    • By Paulo205 26th Sep 16, 6:50 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paulo205
    • 26th Sep 16, 6:50 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 6:50 PM
    It's APCOA, as per the thread title.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 26th Sep 16, 7:04 PM
    • 5,446 Posts
    • 4,964 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 26th Sep 16, 7:04 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 7:04 PM
    ok as per this link https://bmpa.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203653191-APCOA-Parking-UK-Ltd

"often make stupid mistakes"

as in getting your info late (as per your earlier statement regarding address) and forgetting to send you a NTK

you may wish to send that letter (above) to the DVLA to check when they got your details

add to the above letter asking for the location of said incident(s)

lets see if they have mentioned airport (bylaw) land
    Last edited by pappa golf; 26-09-2016 at 7:09 PM.
    • Paulo205
    • By Paulo205 26th Sep 16, 9:19 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paulo205
    • 26th Sep 16, 9:19 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 9:19 PM
    Thanks, I'll put a letter together based on your template and see what the DVLA come back with.
    • Paulo205
    • By Paulo205 12th Oct 16, 8:36 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paulo205
    Bit of an update:

Having sent the letter as described above to DVLA, I have had no reply after around 2 weeks.

As I had ignored the DRP letter, I have duly received a further letter from them entitled "Notice of Intent of Court Action" and have until 17th October to respond.

Please could someone advise what my best next step should be? Should I contact APCOA with the letter detailed in the Newbie thread, go back to the source and get this stopped? I am very reluctant to let the 17th October come and go without doing anything, despite some people saying just ignore DRP!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 12th Oct 16, 8:54 AM
    • 11,030 Posts
    • 16,467 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    It's just a template letter, sent to thousands who have ignored this shower for more than a decade. And in that time, how many have DRP taken to court? Answer. NONE! Why? Because they can't. So that's the importance with which you should accord their threat.

Only APCOA can issue court proceedings. And how many court proceedings have they issued from almost two hundred thousand tickets in the past 2.5 years? Answer. NONE! Why? Because they wouldn't dare put an airport 'stopping' case before a judge, lest he decides against them and their airport cash cow is slaughtered.

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/APCOA_Parking_UK.html
    NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Oct 16, 9:31 AM
    • 40,587 Posts
    • 52,479 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I had ignored the DRP letter, I have duly received a further letter from them entitled "Notice of Intent of Court Action" and have until 17th October to respond.

Please could someone advise what my best next step should be? Should I contact APCOA with the letter detailed in the Newbie thread, go back to the source and get this stopped? I am very reluctant to let the 17th October come and go without doing anything, despite some people saying just ignore DRP!
    Originally posted by Paulo205
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5035663

Calm down! You are 'reluctant' to let the 17th October come and go without doing anything, but THAT IS WHAT TO DO! No phone call, nothing. Like this person, like hundreds (more like thousands I expect) of others here!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71440298#post71440298

THERE IS NO NEXT STEP EXCEPT TO JOIN OUR CAMPAIGN:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5524754&page=6

Please do that and only that - letters to your MP and Theresa May. Be heard, tell them how twitchy and threatened you feel by this parking firm & debt collector, when there was no debt, no contract and the car was NOT EVEN PARKED BUT IN A QUEUE ON THE ROAD! Please write, stick your neck out.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 12-10-2016 at 9:43 AM.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,279Posts Today

6,071Users online

Martin's Twitter