Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 25th Sep 16, 3:32 PM
    • 4,316Posts
    • 13,446Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    Couch to 5k - anyone done/doing it?
    • 25th Sep 16, 3:32 PM
    Couch to 5k - anyone done/doing it? 25th Sep 16 at 3:32 PM
    Hi all. I've looked back 5 pages on this board and can't see anything on this so apologies if I've missed it!

Today I did my first walk/jog session using the Couch to 5k podcast. I walk a lot, but never would consider myself fit, so I thought I'd give it a go. Having done it a couple of hours ago, I appear to have survived.........

I'd be interested to hear from others about their experiences of using the scheme., particularly how easy it was to keep going in the early stages, and if they found it hard to move through each week's programme, which I assume will get tougher each time.

Cheers!

WR
    I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence. D McLeod
    Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? RG. Ingersol
    I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously. D Adams
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 25th Sep 16, 4:14 PM
    • 13,670 Posts
    • 33,174 Thanks
    elsien
    • 25th Sep 16, 4:14 PM
    • 25th Sep 16, 4:14 PM
    I did it. There is a new thread somewhere because I saw it the other day - maybe in the sport bit of the forum?
    It was mainly ok - there was one week that was more of a jump, but otherwise it seems to follow through fairly reasonably.
    However as it goes by time not distance and I'm a slow runner, I hadn't got to 5k by the end of the programme so had to build up to it on my own.
    5k was enough for me, not physically but because I have a low boredom threshold and that was enough.
    I'll post the link if I can find it.

Edit - here you go.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5520685&page=13&highlight=couch+t o+5k
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 25th Sep 16, 5:38 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 7,290 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 25th Sep 16, 5:38 PM
    • 25th Sep 16, 5:38 PM
    I see you found us at the other thread thanks for posting the link Elsien

I am only on week 3 and on paper the jumps from one week to the next seem impossible but so far I have been very impressed with the plan and the pace it takes you at. Every time there is a jump on the running side they also give you more walking/recovering time. If you find a week tough then repeat it, it isn't race to finish just to get there safely and steadily.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 25th Sep 16, 5:46 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 7,290 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 25th Sep 16, 5:46 PM
    • 25th Sep 16, 5:46 PM
    I did it. There is a new thread somewhere because I saw it the other day - maybe in the sport bit of the forum?
    It was mainly ok - there was one week that was more of a jump, but otherwise it seems to follow through fairly reasonably.
    However as it goes by time not distance and I'm a slow runner, I hadn't got to 5k by the end of the programme so had to build up to it on my own.
    5k was enough for me, not physically but because I have a low boredom threshold and that was enough.
    I'll post the link if I can find it.

Edit - here you go.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5520685&page=13&highlight=couch+t o+5k
    Originally posted by elsien
    How long ago did you complete the plan? Are you still running?

I do think it is misleading calling it C25K when 30mins is a decent time for 5K, I have seen plans for 5K take you up to 40mins which I think is more realistic especially if you are starting from doing no exercise.
    Last edited by iammumtoone; 25-09-2016 at 6:07 PM.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 25th Sep 16, 7:00 PM
    • 13,670 Posts
    • 33,174 Thanks
    elsien
    • 25th Sep 16, 7:00 PM
    • 25th Sep 16, 7:00 PM
    Had to stop unfortunately after ignoring the "don't walk on the cattle grid" sign and knackering my knee. My waistline has definitely noticed the difference - running didn't make me lose weight but it changed my shape for the better. Can't do any high/moderate impact exercise at the moment.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • mrs baggins
    • By mrs baggins 13th Oct 16, 7:05 AM
    • 1,271 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    mrs baggins
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:05 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:05 AM
    Hi all. I've looked back 5 pages on this board and can't see anything on this so apologies if I've missed it!

Today I did my first walk/jog session using the Couch to 5k podcast. I walk a lot, but never would consider myself fit, so I thought I'd give it a go. Having done it a couple of hours ago, I appear to have survived.........

I'd be interested to hear from others about their experiences of using the scheme., particularly how easy it was to keep going in the early stages, and if they found it hard to move through each week's programme, which I assume will get tougher each time.

Cheers!

WR
    Originally posted by Wild_Rover
    I started it last year. I was relatively fit and well but cycling was more my thing. I think it's brill! When I started even running for 3 minutes was a bit in doable for me. But I did it every other day and am now doing the 5k park run every other week so for me it def works. There was one week maybe week four I can't remember where I thought there was quite a huge jump of amount of time spent running but I carried on. It maybe took me about 8 weeks as there were times I couldn't do it but even now find if I don't run at least once a week I go backwards a step and have to keep stopping.

As long as you have no health issues I would say go with it . The thrill you get from running a park run without stopping and see people much much younger than you stop is incredible!
    • clairec79
    • By clairec79 13th Oct 16, 8:22 AM
    • 2,125 Posts
    • 5,914 Thanks
    clairec79
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:22 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:22 AM
    I'm coming towards the end, I did have a certain amount of fitness but never did running, always hated it - now almost 8 weeks in and still not too keen on the actual running but it is improving my fitness and my shape and I can jog (as I don't run fast) for 25 minutes

It is definately possible
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,812Posts Today

7,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin