Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Yello2011
    • By Yello2011 25th Sep 16, 9:25 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Yello2011
    Help to buy
    • 25th Sep 16, 9:25 AM
    Help to buy 25th Sep 16 at 9:25 AM
    Hi I'm looking for advice from anyone who has made home improvements while on a help to buy mortgage. According to help to buy this is a breach of terms and you're not allowed to do so? Has anyone gone ahead without permission and was there any implications when you remortgaged? For example a garage conversion or extension.
Page 1
    • Graeme_D
    • By Graeme_D 26th Sep 16, 2:10 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Graeme_D
    • 26th Sep 16, 2:10 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 2:10 PM
    Bump.

I would be keen to hear any views on this as a help to buy (mortgage guarantee) user.

Graeme
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 26th Sep 16, 2:14 PM
    • 32,081 Posts
    • 17,170 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 26th Sep 16, 2:14 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 2:14 PM
    HTB Equity Loan Scotland and HTB Mortgage Guarantee are totally different.

Using HTB Equity Loan the Government owns part of your home and therefore has a say in what you can do to it.

HTB MG is not the same and your responsibility is only to the mortgage lender as it is with any other mortgage.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Graeme_D
    • By Graeme_D 26th Sep 16, 3:02 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Graeme_D
    • 26th Sep 16, 3:02 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 3:02 PM
    Assume you are equity loan scheme Yello2011?
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 26th Sep 16, 3:15 PM
    • 32,081 Posts
    • 17,170 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 26th Sep 16, 3:15 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 3:15 PM
    Assume you are equity loan scheme Yello2011?
    Originally posted by Graeme_D
    HTB Scotland is equity loan and newbuild alone, same as Wales and England.

All the countries in the union have access to HTB - MG so no qualification of the country is needed.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Yello2011
    • By Yello2011 26th Sep 16, 4:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Yello2011
    • 26th Sep 16, 4:20 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 4:20 PM
    Yes Htb equity loan
    • Benjaega
    • By Benjaega 7th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Benjaega
    • 7th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    Hi, have you managed to get any clarification on this? I'm in a similar situation and would like to convert an integral garage but from the little info I can find, it appears to not be allowed - don't know if anybody has managed to get around it!

Cheers,

Ben
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

677Posts Today

6,303Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin