Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • daz100
    • By daz100 24th Sep 16, 8:55 PM
    • 67Posts
    • 24Thanks
    daz100
    Dodgy builder? Help
    • 24th Sep 16, 8:55 PM
    Dodgy builder? Help 24th Sep 16 at 8:55 PM
    Had a project start in January new kitchen and small extension to build a utility. Quote accepted and payments in instalments. About 40k

Kitchen complete but then planning needed which delayed things but work was due to be undertaken. Nearly all monies paid for works cut to now and builder had come back saying that there were additional expenses and will need another 20k to complete the utility extension.

So to fit a new kitchen and build a small utility 60k I'm thinking he taking the *******.

Any thoughts?
Page 1
    • LynnLegend
    • By LynnLegend 24th Sep 16, 9:29 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LynnLegend
    • 24th Sep 16, 9:29 PM
    • 24th Sep 16, 9:29 PM
    Sounds expensive to me. Twenty grand is a lot of money to be an additional unexpected cost. That is 50% of the original value. Would ask for some justification at the very least.
    • casper_g
    • By casper_g 24th Sep 16, 10:53 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    casper_g
    • 24th Sep 16, 10:53 PM
    • 24th Sep 16, 10:53 PM
    I certainly hope people think that's expensive. I dread to think what my currently-just-a-concept kitchen, utility, shower room, garage extension will be if 60k is the right price for building a utility!
    • DRP
    • By DRP 24th Sep 16, 11:44 PM
    • 3,895 Posts
    • 3,365 Thanks
    DRP
    • 24th Sep 16, 11:44 PM
    • 24th Sep 16, 11:44 PM
    whatever the original price was, there'd have to be an awful lot of evidence to justify a 50% increase in costs.

I presume he's given you more details than you've posted?
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 25th Sep 16, 12:15 AM
    • 899 Posts
    • 1,085 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 25th Sep 16, 12:15 AM
    • 25th Sep 16, 12:15 AM
    you can buy a house ooop norff for that kind of money, ridiculous.
    • daz100
    • By daz100 25th Sep 16, 3:13 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    daz100
    • 25th Sep 16, 3:13 PM
    • 25th Sep 16, 3:13 PM
    Just said the roof was in a worse state than he thought even though the quote included roof alterations and a new fibre glass roof.
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 28th Sep 16, 8:41 PM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    phil24_7
    • 28th Sep 16, 8:41 PM
    • 28th Sep 16, 8:41 PM
    I think he's ripping you off. The original quote seems excessive (though I don't know where you are or what size the kitchen and utility are). to me.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 28th Sep 16, 10:31 PM
    • 22,254 Posts
    • 63,088 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 28th Sep 16, 10:31 PM
    • 28th Sep 16, 10:31 PM
    There aren't many roofs that cost £20k.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • daz100
    • By daz100 16th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    daz100
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    Asked for receipts, additional costs. I am fobbed off, so going down small claims route
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 16th Oct 16, 6:28 PM
    • 22,254 Posts
    • 63,088 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Who is going down small claims route? For how much?

You said he asked for more money, not that you paid it!
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 18th Oct 16, 2:46 PM
    • 22,254 Posts
    • 63,088 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    I'm having a single storage buillt to make 2 bedrooms built for 20k and might get new kitchen if i can find another 5k (that inc moving it to another room). but im in south west. So unless your in london 40k too much in my opinion i might be wrong. I sp[ent 1500 on getting planning premisson and building regs. I did get like 5 quote.
    Originally posted by Airwolf20721
    Well done, but £20k is not normal either. If two bedrooms are at least about 3x6 metres, you're below any anciently quoted figure of £1k per metre considering that over £5k of that should be in VAT and your professionals fees.

If your builder isn't VAT registered, they must be avoiding it. It doesn't take many £20k extensions to hit the VAT threshold.

It will be interesting to see your results.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 18-10-2016 at 2:51 PM.
    • Airwolf20721
    • By Airwolf20721 18th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Airwolf20721
    Highest quote i had 25 lowest 18. No plumbing involved. Rooms not big as you say in fact normally you wouldn'nt need planning premission as the extention only going out so far out but due to the building it joining onto has 4 flat i had to get planning premisson. it 1 double room one single room
    Last edited by Airwolf20721; 18-10-2016 at 3:48 PM.
    • daz100
    • By daz100 25th Oct 16, 5:04 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    daz100
    Who is going down small claims route? For how much?

You said he asked for more money, not that you paid it!
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    The original quote was for kitchen and utility ( the utility being the extension). I paid nearly all the original quote (3k short) on the believe that the builder was coming back in May to start the extension we are now nearly in November and he is saying cant start the extension until he has an additional 19k. So I am claiming the difference on the original quote and the new additional funds required to complete if that makes sense.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 25th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 22,254 Posts
    • 63,088 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    The original quote was for kitchen and utility ( the utility being the extension). I paid nearly all the original quote (3k short) on the believe that the builder was coming back in May to start the extension we are now nearly in November and he is saying cant start the extension until he has an additional 19k. So I am claiming the difference on the original quote and the new additional funds required to complete if that makes sense.
    Originally posted by daz100
    Yes, I understand. He needs £19k to build the extension because he's spent your money.

Please do not pay anyone up front again. Agree stage payments based on the work carried out.

Good luck.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 26th Oct 16, 10:34 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    seashore22
    I don't think this will help the op now, but it may be useful to other readers.

We have had extensions built on two occasions and we also agreed to staged payments. The difference being that we never paid large amounts in advance. The builders on our current build spent large amounts on materials and did most of the work before they even asked us for a payment. The previous builder asked for regular payments, but only for the stage we were at. If something had gone wrong and the builders had walked away our losses would have been either non existent or tiny.

We agreed a fixed price for both builds. The first came in on budget. The second has included a few extras, but those were always mentioned as they cropped up and were all fair additions to the agreed costs. Unlike the op we know exactly where the extra cash has gone and are well within our 10% contingency. 50% extra with no proper explanation is very dodgy.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 26th Oct 16, 10:39 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    seashore22
    I can't see any way that this isn't a rogue trader, but just in case:

What size is the extension?

Is the kitchen incredibly high end?

Where do you live?

Did you get recommendations from satisfied customers?

Was the builder on the local council list of approved builders?

Did you get other quotes for the work and how much were they going to charge you?
    • daz100
    • By daz100 26th Oct 16, 12:05 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    daz100
    I can't see any way that this isn't a rogue trader, but just in case:

What size is the extension?

Is the kitchen incredibly high end?

Where do you live?

Did you get recommendations from satisfied customers?

Was the builder on the local council list of approved builders?

Did you get other quotes for the work and how much were they going to charge you?
    Originally posted by seashore22
    The kitchen was going to cost about 19k including fitting etc had other quotes and all about the same price. Its the building work so he has charged about 18k for a new roof on the kitchen and to take down the wall between the kitchen and utility. Like I say I cannot see where the money has been spent and is now saying my solicitor is saying I do not have to show you receipts.

We also had quotes for the extension they average about 15k so even adding them both together he was coming in at the higher end but he had done some work for us in the past (nothing major mind).
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 26th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    • 318 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    seashore22
    That still doesn't answer most of my questions, but that's by the by right now.

If it goes to court he will have to show his receipts, so that's just bluster. Did he tell you that the roof was costing more as he was doing it or is this the first you've heard of it?

Was the quote itemised? Do you have written evidence of the quote and what exactly he was quoting for? Last but not least, why oh why did you pay him for an extension that he hadn't even started? When did the work on the kitchen finish? I only ask because you say he was supposed to come back in May and I wondered why he didn't do it all in one go.
    Last edited by seashore22; 26-10-2016 at 12:45 PM.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 26th Oct 16, 12:59 PM
    • 318 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    seashore22
    It's also unusual to do the kitchen refit before the extension is built. Won't they have to knock through into your newly fitted kitchen?
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 26th Oct 16, 1:43 PM
    • 1,977 Posts
    • 1,278 Thanks
    Annie1960
    Yes, I understand. He needs £19k to build the extension because he's spent your money.

Please do not pay anyone up front again. Agree stage payments based on the work carried out.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    And make sure you speak to building control yourself personally at each stage before making payment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

431Posts Today

1,798Users online

Martin's Twitter