Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 24th Sep 16, 5:36 PM
    • 1,947Posts
    • 288Thanks
    Question regards tongue & groove gate making...
    • 24th Sep 16, 5:36 PM
    Question regards tongue & groove gate making... 24th Sep 16 at 5:36 PM
    I've done it a bit !!!!-eyed (as per usual) & ended up piecing the strips together & gluing them before cutting the required off each end (side). I also don't have a guide for my circular saw in order to do a perfect straight cut & even if i did, the circular saw i have isn't a very good one anyway.

As it stands, the gate width is currently perfect ... the only thing is there's a tongue on 1 end & a groove on the other.
    I have 1 strip spare which was to put on & then cut down to size but the sash clamps i have wont grip another strip. I'm currently maxed out.

I'm not overly bothered about it looking perfect (each end cut down).

My question is - aside from simply not being a 'proper job', is there any negative effects of leaving the tongue & groove in place on either end & hanging the gate like that?

The panels are tanalised & will be either painted with that ducks back paint or creocote. I haven't decided yet.

Page 2
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 9th Oct 16, 10:46 PM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    As for splits elsewhere, there's only 1 panel that has split centrally down the panel itself. It hasn't opened up a huge amount, but there are small splits right down the length. I'll get you a photo next time i can think on.

That's the only split other than where the tongue locks in to the groove on a few panels.

When you say coat them with stain/primer ... the end result the gate will be painted with ducksback (have since read you should allow the pressure treated timber 6-8 weeks before painting. Some sources recommend up to 6months!!), but what product are you talking about with the stain / primer?

If it helps any, we'll be looking at a dark brown shade for end result (we bought Ducksback Forest Oak - don't buy their Harvest Brown as it looks nothing like it says on the tin - we had to take it back today to exchange for Forest Oak).

• JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 14th Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    I'm just wondering what i should use to screw in the hinge bit that screws to the wooden post (don't say screw )

I've a hook & band hinge for the gate which is 1.8mtr high & 1.1 mtr wide.

The square hole closest to the hanging part of the hinge takes a M12 bolt. Maybe it'd take a M14 but i wasn't so sure. The 3 holes leading out to the point take M8 bolts. I don't know if they're supposed to be screwed & not bolted but the size is M8 bolts.

So then i was looking at the bit that screws (or locates) on to the wooden post for the hinge to 'sit on'.

Are standard screws going to be strong enough to take the weight? Although i can't go all the way through & out the other side so that isn't an option either.

If screws then what size should be used (or what kind of screw maybe)?

I measured the post & i can get in a screw up to 60mm in length, perhaps 65mm but no bigger.

I measured the hole for it to go through & it's 6mm wide.

Don't want to use anything flimsy that isn't up to the job & find it's been pulled off.

• Fat Walt
    • By Fat Walt 14th Oct 16, 8:55 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    Fat Walt
    M6 x 60 stainless coach screws.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 15th Oct 16, 9:06 AM
    • 25,937 Posts
    • 15,647 Thanks
    might be something good enough with this offer
    (not really for wood but I expect they will be fine for the hook.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,909Posts Today

7,452Users online

Martin's Twitter