Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shoi
    • By shoi 24th Sep 16, 9:58 AM
    • 121Posts
    • 33Thanks
    shoi
    HP just disabled printers from using compatibles
    • 24th Sep 16, 9:58 AM
    HP just disabled printers from using compatibles 24th Sep 16 at 9:58 AM
    for example http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37408173
    In essence they had a time bomb built into their printers which detonated on Sep 18, and now if your printer has compatible cartidges it will no longer print and instead you will get an message saying the cartridge is damaged (a lie!).
    They have promised not to do this from since 2012 http://www.eurovaprint.eu/fileadmin/eurovaprint_files/pdfs/Lot4_VA-version_4.pdf 4.4 For all products placed on the market after 1 January 2012:
    4.4.1 Any cartridge produced by or recommended by the OEM for use in the product shall not be designed to prevent its reuse and recycling.
    4.4.2 The machine shall not be designed to prevent the use of a non-OEM cartridge

Does anyone know if there is anything practical one can do apart from scrapping the printer and going to a more honest brand (Brother supposedly). Oh and warning everyone not to buy HP
Page 2
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 26th Sep 16, 1:53 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    With a set of genuine cartridges costing about as much as the latest "on offer" all-in-one in your local supermarket (which theses days is typically around £40) the lifetime of a printer really isn't an issue. By far the biggest cost over a year or so running only genuine cartridges is likely to be the ink rather than the hardware. I always check compatibles are being sold and their pricing before buying a printer.
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    Agreed.

Plus using OEM cartridges does not mean the printer will live longer, there is a good reason why so many old printers are still in use and that is because they were built better. In my experience, most printers are scrapped due to mechanical problems, bits falling off, full inkwells, cost of cartridges against the cost of new machine or just because the owner wants more up to date features. On a printer that takes individual ink tanks, you could argue that poor quality ink, generic ink could shorten the life of the print head, however, most of the problems with printheads that I've seen have either been clogging due to the machine being left unused for a long period of time or electrically dead printheads (which can't be put down to type of cartridges used) the printheads in some HP Officejet machines are designed as consumables and some will expire on page count or age, the same goes for some Canon machines where the life expectancy of the printhead is around 3 years for a domestic machine.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • hans 2
    • By hans 2 29th Sep 16, 10:45 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    hans 2
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37503139

An optional update that removes the restriction on unofficial cartridges will be available “within two weeks”.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 29th Sep 16, 2:28 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    As that story originates from the BBCs North America corispondent, it will be interesting to see if the update will be available for uk printers as although the printer model numbers will be the same the cartridge numbers and programming are different.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 29th Sep 16, 8:45 PM
    • 9,311 Posts
    • 48,764 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I have a MFD, which I don't think is affected, but, in anticipation of future action by HP, I've disabled updates.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1015-50
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 29th Sep 16, 10:35 PM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 1,770 Thanks
    Robisere
    With a set of genuine cartridges costing about as much as the latest "on offer" all-in-one in your local supermarket (which theses days is typically around £40) the lifetime of a printer really isn't an issue. By far the biggest cost over a year or so running only genuine cartridges is likely to be the ink rather than the hardware. I always check compatibles are being sold and their pricing before buying a printer.
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    For me, the lifetime of MY printer, is an issue! I have owned (I think) a total of 4 printers over the years, all HP. Each one was better than the last and this last one is the best of all. It works exactly as I want it to and I never use compat's because I can get genuine ones for not much more, if I shop around. I have yet to see any supermarket selling a printer I would use: they are the throw-away items, used to sell cartridges.

Next printer (if I ever need one) will be the best 5-cart HP I can buy. That should see me to the point where I am dribbling over it!
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• hans 2
    • By hans 2 13th Oct 16, 2:28 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    hans 2
    HP releases printer firmware to undo non-HP ink cartridge blocking
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,838Posts Today

7,531Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin