Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > Why is Orange so bad at letting you know your rem... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Why is Orange so bad at letting you know your remaining minutes?
Closed Thread
Views: 5,125
# 1
Old Gold
Old 16-09-2007, 12:05 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Why is Orange so bad at letting you know your remaining minutes?

From what I gather Virgin and 3 network give you up to date information on your remaining minutes. I dont know about the others but Orange is very poor in this respect. Sometimes it is virtually two days behind.
Is this general or is my account just unlucky?
# 2
CrowdPleaser
Old 16-09-2007, 12:17 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Can't you access the information online like all the other networks?
# 3
Old Gold
Old 16-09-2007, 8:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowdPleaser View Post
Can't you access the information online like all the other networks?
Yes but it is often two days out of date.
# 4
Old Gold
Old 17-09-2007, 2:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Surely some of you have good or bad experiences of this? Come on share.
# 5
amz84uk
Old 17-09-2007, 3:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've just switched to Orange (from 3) and find it annoying not knowing my exact remaining talktime allowance.

Don't see why it takes Orange so long to update it, as 3 were able to do it instantly. I had up-to-date records of my minutes and texts. It's probably a ploy from Orange (and other networks) to attract you into going overboard.... i.e. you believe you have 10minutes remaining in your billing period, so you make a 10minute call, but in actual fact, you had 10minutes remaining 2 days ago!!! Lol
# 6
dduk
Old 17-09-2007, 3:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yeah, out of the five networks -

3 is the quickest to update your remaining minutes, texts and current unbilled spend doing it almost instantly, doesn't list each call and text though.

T-mobile usually updates within an hour or two with an itemised list of calls, texts etc.

o2 and vodafone can take up to a couple of days but do list your calls and texts so you can see what is included.

Orange is the worst of all, it takes days to update, and even when it does you can't see what calls it includes.
# 7
sarah1972
Old 18-09-2007, 5:36 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

How do you all go over your minutes?

I am with Orange and I get 900 minutes and unlimited texts for 35 a month, even I can't go over that !
I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

New to MSE? http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sit...oduction-guide
# 8
Saeed
Old 19-09-2007, 1:39 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

What I can't understand is how easyMobile PAYG when it was running was able to give you up to the minute useage figures but O2 and the like can't tell you how many minutes you have accurately. They seem to be able to stop PAYG customers going over their credit in the phone. How, if the billing is not up to date. Is it only contract customers whose billing is 2 days behind???
# 9
davematthews
Old 25-06-2010, 11:06 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Orange are at it!

I have two orange mobile phone simms which I started on different days within the calandar month. Both are PAYM on a different date for only PAYGM.

Now, what tends to happen is when the minutes get below 50minutes, they put further delays in to confuse people.

Their system as quoted from support is "inaccurate" - which precisely means, don't bloody trust it.

You are best to set your timmer on your phone for a better picture how many minutes you have left.
# 10
robbies_gal
Old 25-06-2010, 12:21 PM

sometime they take a day or so other times its quicker

i find checking it dialling 150 is the most up to date info
What goes around-comes around
# 11
DarkConvict
Old 25-06-2010, 12:30 PM

I know this is an old topic but i wish orange would change it.

Dial 150, press 1, press 1, please wait, press 1 (hear minutes), press 1 (hear texts), press 1, (hear data).

Vodafone was much easier, dial 191, press 1, press 1, press 1. Hang up. And you get a text with all the details.
Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
# 12
Tony5101
Old 25-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkConvict View Post
I know this is an old topic but i wish orange would change it.

Dial 150, press 1, press 1, please wait, press 1 (hear minutes), press 1 (hear texts), press 1, (hear data).

Vodafone was much easier, dial 191, press 1, press 1, press 1. Hang up. And you get a text with all the details.
Agree with the Vodafone comment, however, they're still massively behind with their usage information
# 13
seaniboy
Old 25-06-2010, 4:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It's nowt more than a ploy for you to overspend....3 broke the mould with more than price plans, they started up to minute billing but sadly poor customer care standards, the other nets followed suit where they wanted.
If I helped or saved you money - Thank me
If I helped you spend some money - spank me
If I done both - me

# 14
Jon 01
Old 25-06-2010, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniboy View Post
It's nowt more than a ploy for you to overspend....3 broke the mould with more than price plans, they started up to minute billing but sadly poor customer care standards, the other nets followed suit where they wanted.

As much as I hate to disagree, its not really. The billing systems don't run in real time. With over 14 million active acc's they lag.
# 15
Jomo
Old 25-06-2010, 4:40 PM

Orange are just 'poor', end of!
# 16
liubeliu
Old 25-06-2010, 4:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ditto, love the My3 section on Planet 3. It is always useful to know how many minutes left
# 17
secretmsg
Old 25-06-2010, 6:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

what about tescos?? anyone have any idea or experience with tesco network,how long it takes to update remaining minutes.
# 18
Tony5101
Old 25-06-2010, 8:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon 01 View Post
As much as I hate to disagree, its not really. The billing systems don't run in real time. With over 14 million active acc's they lag.
The billing systems should run in real-time though...If 3 can manage it, I would have thought that the so called 'market-leaders' should be able to.
This has become more and more necessary, particularly for data usage and excess 'out of bundle' charges etc.
Closed Thread