Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blackcloud
    • By blackcloud 22nd Sep 16, 11:56 PM
    • 248Posts
    • 6Thanks
    blackcloud
    How to light front garden path?
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:56 PM
    How to light front garden path? 22nd Sep 16 at 11:56 PM
    Hello all

My front garden path is so dark when the night comes and wondering what people would recommend as a cheap option to light it up so you can see where you are walking etc? any links ie ebay/amazon would be helpful!

Thanks all in advance!
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 23rd Sep 16, 8:53 AM
    • 20,145 Posts
    • 82,586 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:53 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:53 AM
    Your question skips neatly over the matter of whether you want to have a mains-powered light or something easier to install, so I'd imagine you probably want battery with solar charging.

The problem with Amazon etc is that people typically review not long after purchase, which isn't long enough to judge something like a Chinese-made outdoor light. These are also much more likely to work in summer than in ther dour days of winter.

I can only say that my Lidl mains powered floodlight costing 11 has been brilliant, needing no adjustment from the factory setting. Trouble with Lidl is that when they're gone, they're gone!
    'Opportunity is missed by most people, because it's usually dressed in overalls and looks like work.' Thomas Edison.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 23rd Sep 16, 9:56 AM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 888 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:56 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:56 AM
    Cheapest and easier way would be some cheap LED pathfinder lights. They won't last and they aren't that bright but they just about do the job and are as cheap as chips.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 23rd Sep 16, 11:36 AM
    • 6,634 Posts
    • 14,335 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:36 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:36 AM
    I have a security light, but wanted more lighting up my front steps - they're quite large steps, each being a full sized flag, though not deep steps. I bought four solar lights in the Wilkinson's sale about three years ago, and put one on each side at the top and bottom of the steps. They're fine and have lasted since then. I replaced one last week, again with a solar light from Wilko's. I also have six in a large plant pot by my front door, circling a plant.

I think I paid 75p each for the first ones, and 1 each last week.
    • 27cool
    • By 27cool 23rd Sep 16, 4:36 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    27cool
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:36 PM
    Hello all

My front garden path is so dark when the night comes and wondering what people would recommend as a cheap option to light it up so you can see where you are walking etc? any links ie ebay/amazon would be helpful!

Thanks all in advance!
    Originally posted by blackcloud
    Why don't you just ask Mr Google to find you a path light. That's what the rest of us would do.
    Last edited by 27cool; 23-09-2016 at 4:39 PM.
    • DexterHii
    • By DexterHii 23rd Sep 16, 4:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DexterHii
    Bring along a lamp.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 23rd Sep 16, 8:07 PM
    • 20,145 Posts
    • 82,586 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:07 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:07 PM
    Why don't you just ask Mr Google to find you a path light. That's what the rest of us would do.
    Originally posted by 27cool
    OP is aware of Google, Amazon & Ebay, just like the restof us, but wants a recommendation from someone who has had a light long enough to judge its efficiency/longevity.
    'Opportunity is missed by most people, because it's usually dressed in overalls and looks like work.' Thomas Edison.
    • Sagz
    • By Sagz 23rd Sep 16, 8:24 PM
    • 5,594 Posts
    • 8,252 Thanks
    Sagz
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:24 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:24 PM
    Bought one of these from Amazon in December 2014 and it's been excellent. Have only had to change the batteries once.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002P6EQPW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree!
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 23rd Sep 16, 9:04 PM
    • 6,774 Posts
    • 6,922 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:04 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:04 PM
    You can get low-voltage lights, which run through a transformer (which usually has to be indoors).

Brighter and more reliable than solar lights, but cheaper and safer to install than mains lighting.

Lots of suppliers; the link is just for an example.
    Wins and Freebies: ττhραṡτε, τεα-τώεl
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,560Posts Today

8,138Users online

Martin's Twitter