Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • follyfoot
    • By follyfoot 22nd Sep 16, 11:12 PM
    • 436Posts
    • 12Thanks
    follyfoot
    electric heating
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:12 PM
    electric heating 22nd Sep 16 at 11:12 PM
    Hello I currently have creda panel heaters in my flat - most of them don't work and I am looking for an alternative. I don't want to pay Haverland prices which look like designer heaters. Any ideas - I want the heaters to have their own programmable timer and also be wall mounted? It seems to be impossible to run an all electric property with no central heating system economically - you would think this type of system would not be allowed since it is so expensive.
Page 1
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 22nd Sep 16, 11:37 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:37 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:37 PM
    Look at the Dimplex range. Long-standing well know manufacturer ( Creda are part of this group too). They have a huge range from bog standard panel heaters and manual storage heaters to those with very modern controls.

Not a company that just markets and sells fancy dressed up panel heaters from abroad under licence at stupid prices.

It can be a very cost effective option if you select the right heaters and use the controls correctly. You must look at your living habits and do a bit of maths.

Modern storage heaters may be an option to consider such as the a lot more control over the manual variety. The Quantum series are the top of the range ones but are the most expensive. As I said, you have to look at your living habits and your how much you use. How is your water heated? If you switch to e7 this can take advantage of cheap rate too.

Do not forget with central heating/gas you have the up-front installation costs 3-5k for a new install and then ongoing maintenance and yearly checks. You will be lucky if a modern boiler lasts 10 years before you have to fork out another grand to replace it.

For a small flat with decent insulation, electric only, if correctly selected and operated correctly can be very cost effective.

You do not have to buy direct from dimplex. You may find you can get bigger discounts elsewhere. Just use their website to investigate their range.
    Last edited by CashStrapped; 23-09-2016 at 2:01 AM.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 23rd Sep 16, 8:44 AM
    • 25,754 Posts
    • 12,351 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:44 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:44 AM
    Above all remember that ALL electrical heating gives out EXACTLY the same amount of heat for the same amount of electricity used.

Have you looked into getting the Creda heaters repaired?
    • samjam1976
    • By samjam1976 23rd Sep 16, 3:00 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    samjam1976
    • 23rd Sep 16, 3:00 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 3:00 PM
    I'll second what cashstrapped said. We have dimplex storage heaters in a flat we rent out and had no problems with them in the 6 years we have owned the property. (They were already in there when we bought it so no idea at all how old they are)
    • follyfoot
    • By follyfoot 23rd Sep 16, 4:35 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    follyfoot
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:35 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:35 PM
    How is your water heated? If you switch to e7 this can take advantage of cheap rate too.
    Originally posted by CashStrapped
    My water is heated via a gledhill boiler. I recently put a timer on it so that I heat my water for 4 hours per day and that has reduced my bills. However, I do have a drier which I find makes it easier for me to quickly dry towels and bedlinen instead of putting them on a heater or drying them around the house.

I will look into storage heaters but I do like the option of heaters having independent controls. Thanks for you replies
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,660Posts Today

8,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: If a cheap clothing store admitted under 12s in foreign factories made their clothes would it stop you buying?

• RT @toes_pointy: @MoneySavingExp @MartinSLewis Feeling smug. Used MSE sky code to change bband provider, saved £150 & got £50 free credit.?

• MSE weekly email: Ending - Brit Gas £300/yr off & free £30M&S, Vax 75%off, £15off Tesco Wine, £64/yr bband, £8 duvet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Follow Martin