Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 22nd Sep 16, 9:54 PM
    • 88Posts
    • 8Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Better value for points? Lloyds Avios or Barclaycard Freedom Rewards?
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:54 PM
    Better value for points? Lloyds Avios or Barclaycard Freedom Rewards? 22nd Sep 16 at 9:54 PM
    So earlier this year, I knew I would be travelling a lot over the Summer and wanted a card that I could use abroad for no extra cost, and so I got the Lloyds Avios one. Now I do like their system and I've earned quite a lot of points since having it, but only because I have double points for the first six months and that'll be ending soon. But I did have trouble abroad and Lloyds cancelled the wrong card, leaving me stranded without access to these, and to have them posted from home took about two weeks through Royal Mail's airmail.

Anyway, I've recently started the process of moving over to Barclays from my spare Halifax account, and I applied for the Barclaycard Freedom Rewards, who accepted me and gave me a 3500 limit, which is a lot higher than what Lloyds gave me, and I often use a lot of their partners but I'm not too sure if their points are worth it.

So when my Avios' offer of double points for the first six months runs out, I'm hardly going to be earning that many points, but then again I'd be earning similarly to Barclaycard's. But I don't know which point's system is more worthy of the other, both have their benefits.

With Avois, I can earn points for flights/hotels in which I desire travelling, as well as I can use the card abroad for no extra cost. And then there's Barclaycard, I use a lot of their partners like Nandos, Boots, iTunes etc..but if I use that more, the 24 yearly fee on the Avios card seems pointless..

Any suggestions on which one is better value for points?
    Last edited by Jlawson118; 22-09-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 23rd Sep 16, 4:07 AM
    • 4,676 Posts
    • 5,676 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:07 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:07 AM
    Spend will generate X Points worth Y to me.

Spend will generate X points. FX fees will save Z. Total worth Y minus 24.

It's your sum to do as everybody else's spending habit is different.

How you value an Avios is also something of an art. Hotels and car hire tend to make it 0.6p or thereabouts.

A strategically purchased business class seat may have a value several times this. But you may only value the Avios against the economy flight you'd have bought if paying real cash.

700 overseas spending would roughly cover your 24 fee.
    • Yawn
    • By Yawn 24th Sep 16, 4:29 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Yawn
    • 24th Sep 16, 4:29 PM
    • 24th Sep 16, 4:29 PM
    Another factor worth considering is whether you need to book any flights at short notice. I have relatives in the Netherlands, and Avios were a god send when one of them passed away. I just checked and there are literally flights available for Amsterdam leaving tomorrow. So for me, Avios is also partly about peace of mind.

Obviously, the same last minute availability argument is sadly not true for holiday destinations further afield (Tenerife, Crete, etc)...
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 24th Sep 16, 5:03 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    • 24th Sep 16, 5:03 PM
    • 24th Sep 16, 5:03 PM
    Another factor worth considering is whether you need to book any flights at short notice. I have relatives in the Netherlands, and Avios were a god send when one of them passed away. I just checked and there are literally flights available for Amsterdam leaving tomorrow. So for me, Avios is also partly about peace of mind.

Obviously, the same last minute availability argument is sadly not true for holiday destinations further afield (Tenerife, Crete, etc)...
    Originally posted by Yawn
    Yeah that does sound good. I might just keep both accounts to be fair, I was thinking of saving my points for Amsterdam too as I seem to go every year now, I do love that beautiful city
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

358Posts Today

3,842Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • If you know you're bust you must declare it asap. So no firm ever says "yes we plan to go insolvent". So you never? https://t.co/w8aIKOqHzq

• Some people misreading... it's NOT the rumours of insolvency of the Monarchy! Its Monarch airlines (again tho I've no idea of its validity)

• Also re #monarchinsolvency rumours it's important to state Monarch are firmly denying it... https://t.co/N27MENRjY9

• Follow Martin