Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DINGO1303
    • By DINGO1303 22nd Sep 16, 9:52 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DINGO1303
    New Conservatory - Super Saver Argon Filled 'A' Rated Glass
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:52 PM
    New Conservatory - Super Saver Argon Filled 'A' Rated Glass 22nd Sep 16 at 9:52 PM
    Hi

We're thinking of having a conservatory attached to the back of the house. Approximate size 3m x 4.5m.

We're in the South East and have had a quote for a £20k inclusive of VAT for a nice looking gabled option with high walls on both sides. The glass being used is Super Saver Argon Filled 'A' Rated Glass.

Its a family run business with fantastic reviews on Trusted Trader and we were really impressed with the owner who visited us to chat things through.

The questions we have are:
    - does the quote seem reasonable
    - is the glass going to make a big difference or, as usual with a conserve, is it simply going to be too hot and too cold throughout the year
    - am i right in thinking that a similar sized extension as an alternative is likely to be £40k+

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.
Page 1
    • Furts
    • By Furts 22nd Sep 16, 10:48 PM
    • 2,732 Posts
    • 1,679 Thanks
    Furts
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:48 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:48 PM
    You are in SE England so prices reflect this.

Instead of concentrating on the glass (a usual conservatory distraction spin/sales con) you need to be asking a raft of real questions from foundation design, to energy efficiency, to Buildings Regulations, to quality, to accreditation, to guarantees..the list goes on.

A family member had one the same size as yours built recently. Proper foundations, proper floor slab insulation, proper cavity wall insulated dwarf walls, electrics, plastering all walls, paths, garden regrading and landscaping for less than half your quote. This was around 50-100 miles from you so not vastly different in terms of regional prices.

Impossible to say what an extension would cost but a stab is savvy design and contracting would get you £2000 per metre squared. Hence not hugely different to your conservatory quote.

I recently built a high spec extension far bigger than your conservatory for under £10000 - this with DIY labour, mates rates, family assistance. But trades were employed too - brickies, chippies, roofers, scaffolder, electrician, plumber and so on. All this not too far from your location.

It is your decision on how you wish to spend your money!
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 23rd Sep 16, 11:46 AM
    • 3,162 Posts
    • 3,449 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:46 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:46 AM
    You will not be able to use it all year round unless you want to burn money in the winter and it will get hot in the summer depending on which way it faces.

If you need the space get an extension.

I have a conservatory and love using it between April and October but I do not need the extra room all year round.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 23rd Sep 16, 2:45 PM
    • 2,732 Posts
    • 1,679 Thanks
    Furts
    • 23rd Sep 16, 2:45 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 2:45 PM
    You will not be able to use it all year round unless you want to burn money in the winter and it will get hot in the summer depending on which way it faces.

If you need the space get an extension.

I have a conservatory and love using it between April and October but I do not need the extra room all year round.
    Originally posted by SuzieSue
    I go with this, and respect the view. However it is possible to build a conservatory that is reasonably energy efficient, but this also has to be allied to orientation, and exposure. Unfortunately the overwhelming majority of conservatory sales people, conservatory companies, and conservatory installers, could not give a monkeys for this approach. Collectively they are all guilty for the bad reputation of conservatories, and for creating exactly what you correctly refer to.
    • Clive Woody
    • By Clive Woody 23rd Sep 16, 9:53 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 4,835 Thanks
    Clive Woody
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:53 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:53 PM
    We live in Sussex and had a 4 x 5m extension (brick walls, tiled roof with 4x velux windows) built a couple of years ago for around £35,000.

We did need extra deep foundations (2m deep) because of large oak trees and had some internal structural work done which added on a decent amount of costs.

This was to replace a conservatory and we are really pleased with the addition. I would say if you can afford it then it go for an extension as it will be useable ll year round.
    Rugby Union - The Greatest Game
    • 3card
    • By 3card 24th Sep 16, 4:53 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    3card
    • 24th Sep 16, 4:53 PM
    • 24th Sep 16, 4:53 PM
    We had a conservatory 18 months ago from a local company and love it.
    Our conservatory is approx 4 metres x 5 metres and we decided to go for underfloor warm water heating. The heating engineer we used is also a friend and he told us to go for argon filled glazing units and he says he can tell just by touching the glass.
    We use our conservatory all year round and although we have only had one winter in there we cant say we have noticed any higher gas bills.
    The total price of ours with the underfloor heating came to approx £17K

My only regret is that we didnt get one years ago
    • Furts
    • By Furts 24th Sep 16, 6:06 PM
    • 2,732 Posts
    • 1,679 Thanks
    Furts
    • 24th Sep 16, 6:06 PM
    • 24th Sep 16, 6:06 PM
    We had a conservatory 18 months ago from a local company and love it.
    Our conservatory is approx 4 metres x 5 metres and we decided to go for underfloor warm water heating. The heating engineer we used is also a friend and he told us to go for argon filled glazing units and he says he can tell just by touching the glass.
    We use our conservatory all year round and although we have only had one winter in there we cant say we have noticed any higher gas bills.
    The total price of ours with the underfloor heating came to approx £17K

My only regret is that we didnt get one years ago
    Originally posted by 3card
    You are happy which is good, and the price you have paid is in a far more realistic stratosphere to that of OP. You have paid around £850 per metre squared. OP is proposing almost £1500 - a huge difference of around 75% more.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,544Posts Today

8,018Users online

Martin's Twitter