Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • madwomanintraining
    • By madwomanintraining 22nd Sep 16, 9:50 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 18Thanks
    madwomanintraining
    Switching to BG for electricity - any advice please
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:50 PM
    Switching to BG for electricity - any advice please 22nd Sep 16 at 9:50 PM
    I am currently with Eon for electric but received a leaflet through the door with an offer from British Gas for free electric on weekends between 9am - 5pm. I have read the leaflet and can't see any catches (I know I will need a smart meter, but am happy to have one).
    Is this offer as good as it sounds or are there catches I haven't spotted?
    Thanks for any advice
Page 1
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 23rd Sep 16, 12:40 AM
    • 697 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 23rd Sep 16, 12:40 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 12:40 AM
    Have you done a comparison based on your annual KWH usage?

Do not believe a leaflet because you see the words free and cheap.

The free weekends thing is offset by the fact that the charging for the rest of the week is much higher than normal tariffs.

It is a bit of a con really and has been discussed in other forums.

What you need to do is compare your actual KWH on a comparison site and see what comes up cheapest.

I use energyhelpline normally to compare as it is quite quick.

You may find, if you have already signed up to cheap-energy-club on this site, that the current collective switch deal with BG is much cheaper than the leaflet offer, and you do not need a smart meter either.

In fact there are two versions of smart meter and the ones BG are offering are the old type. Better off waiting for version 2 really.
    Last edited by CashStrapped; 23-09-2016 at 12:43 AM.
    • madwomanintraining
    • By madwomanintraining 23rd Sep 16, 10:39 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    madwomanintraining
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:39 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:39 PM
    Many thanks CashStrapped for the advice. We are high energy users (teens in the house) so this help is appreciated.
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 23rd Sep 16, 11:20 PM
    • 697 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:20 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:20 PM
    So the chances are that this tariff is not for you, even if the weekends are free. The tariff is actually for just one free day on the weekend.

Based on my area. Using annual figures of 12,000KWH gas (around uk average), and 6000KWH electric (high use/above average). There are tariffs which come out more than £350 a year cheaper.

BG Freetime tariffs (my area)
    Gas: 3.696p per kwh, 26.01p Standing Charge
    Electric 12.285p per kwh, 26.01 Standing charge

Best alternative
    Gas:2.654p per kwh 18.73p Standing charge
    Electric 9.870 pence per kwh 15.02 Standing charge

So, unless you use an extraordinary amount each Saturday (which is unlikely), it is the annual consumption you need to look at.

I am unsure if comparison sites actually compensate for a supposed free Saturday.

Edit: If they do not compensate I have just done a quick bit of maths. If we assume that on a Saturday you use 20kwh of electric (which is a high amount). If we times that by 53 (number of saturdays in a year) we get 1060KWH. If we take that off the annual use above it gives us 4940kwh. Comparing that 4940kwh of charged use with the other tariff at the full 6000kwh, the other tariff is still cheaper!

What are your annual consumption figures for Gas and Electric in KWH calculated from actual readings.

Only when you have those figures will you be able to do a reliable comparison.

In addition this is a "dual fuel only" tariff and the Gas prices are very poor, which will more than wipe out any free Saturday savings.

This is why it is important to do a proper comparison , some quick maths and not get drawn in by good marketing.
    Last edited by CashStrapped; 24-09-2016 at 12:07 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

397Posts Today

4,062Users online

Martin's Twitter