Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Piggywinkle
    • By Piggywinkle 22nd Sep 16, 9:47 PM
    • 42Posts
    • 17Thanks
    Piggywinkle
    EEK - I've done it! *updated 29.09.2016*
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:47 PM
    EEK - I've done it! *updated 29.09.2016* 22nd Sep 16 at 9:47 PM
    You may see from my previous threads that I had a DRO revoked this month due to an unsolicited PPI payout of just over 2k.

I was advised to put aside the £680 for the BR fees as well as any 'essential expenditure.' This was the only positive for me as I desperately needed a new washer, iron, fridge freezer and vacuum! I also managed to get my MOT paid for (trust it to pass!) and also get myself and my daughter some much needed clothing. I have kept receipts for everything. Hope the OR is sympathetic. I've been on token payments and struggling financially since coming out of full time work in 2012 and my white goods were old and knackered even back then!

After a lot of fretting and checking my online application about 3 million times, I pressed that big green button. I am so nervous Just thought it may be interesting to one or two people as it's not that common to find someone having to go BR after a DRO revocation and throwing a PPI payment into the mix I will follow up the thread whenever there's an update and if someone may need help and find themselves in a similar situation to me, then I can hopefully shine a light on whatever may be ahead.

Thanks to the people who have given me some invaluable advice on here. I can also highly recommend StepChange who have been on my side since day one. I don't know what I would have done without them.

-------------------

Update Post #7 - 26.09.2016
    Update Post #12 - 29.09.2016
    Last edited by Piggywinkle; Today at 6:35 PM.
Page 1
    • alltaken
    • By alltaken 22nd Sep 16, 10:00 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    alltaken
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:00 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:00 PM
    What a journey you've had in a little over a month. Always nice to see somebody go from dire straits to back on track. You can see just from your posts how much less stressed you are. (No judgement here)

Onward and upwards! I'm sure many of us are wishing you the best and will follow the rest of your story. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by alltaken; 22-09-2016 at 10:04 PM.
    • Muttipops
    • By Muttipops 22nd Sep 16, 10:35 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Muttipops
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:35 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:35 PM
    I echo that, alltaken.
    • worriedmamma
    • By worriedmamma 22nd Sep 16, 10:38 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    worriedmamma
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:38 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:38 PM
    congrats! My BR application was sent at 9pm and approved before lunch time the next day!! OR called the following day. All very quick and the relief is immense xx
    • Piggywinkle
    • By Piggywinkle 23rd Sep 16, 1:15 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Piggywinkle
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:15 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:15 PM
    congrats! My BR application was sent at 9pm and approved before lunch time the next day!! OR called the following day. All very quick and the relief is immense xx
    Originally posted by worriedmamma

Thanks! I just got an email to check the website and it says it's been approved. Could I ask, has the OR asked you to supply any documents? I'm fully expecting to have to submit payslips, bank account statements etc. as my salary is all paid into my husband's account so I hope they don't think I'm hiding anything.
    • worriedmamma
    • By worriedmamma 23rd Sep 16, 2:55 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    worriedmamma
    • 23rd Sep 16, 2:55 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 2:55 PM
    Thanks! I just got an email to check the website and it says it's been approved. Could I ask, has the OR asked you to supply any documents? I'm fully expecting to have to submit payslips, bank account statements etc. as my salary is all paid into my husband's account so I hope they don't think I'm hiding anything.
    Originally posted by Piggywinkle
    That's great you've had approval already. Nope, the OR hasn't asked for any further documents (yet), just had the standard 'pack' sent out to sign and let the OR have access to your Data etc, which is the standard stuff you need to sign upon bankruptcy approval I believe.

I thought I'd need to provide bank statements etc but as of yet, nothing. Think I'm only a week or 2 into the process though!
    • Piggywinkle
    • By Piggywinkle 26th Sep 16, 1:41 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Piggywinkle
    • 26th Sep 16, 1:41 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 1:41 PM
    I am now in anxious panic mode again. After my BR was initially approved, I'm now awaiting notification of the OR interview (not sure how this will even come through).

I was worried about how the OR would view the fact that my salary is paid into my husband's bank account - all of our DDs come out of there so it makes sense. I'm more than willing to provide details of my income, wage slips, child benefit letters etc.

My husband, as much as he wants to help me through the transition to BR itself, has said he will flat out refuse to co-operate with the OR if they want to see his bank account or any other financial info that is solely his. I asked the same on the 'Ask a StepChange Member...' thread and they told me that they can ask to see his financial info. Is this right? Even though the debts are all mine and were incurred before we met?

I'm now really panicking - this is really taking it's toll on my marriage and my mental health. I'm starting to have panic attacks again and thinking that I don't want to be here any more.
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 26th Sep 16, 1:58 PM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 29,766 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    • 26th Sep 16, 1:58 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 1:58 PM
    Yes they can ask to see the bank account that your wages go into. TBH I can't see what your DH is getting so irked about. They are not there to judge they are just getting a picture of your circumstances.

If he doesn't want to give the OR bank statements then the OR can say that he will look at it as you are both paying 50/50 towards the bills and so you will have a surplus to go to an IPA.

Unfortunatly we cannot second guess what an individual OR will do and until you have spoken to him and explained the situation then there is nothing that can be done by worrying. The OR may listen to you and go OK fair enough and accept what he is being told or he may not. If he doesn't and he wants to impose an IPA and you want to fight it as you know there is no surplus then posters like debt doctor will be able to help you.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
    • Piggywinkle
    • By Piggywinkle 26th Sep 16, 2:14 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Piggywinkle
    • 26th Sep 16, 2:14 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 2:14 PM
    Yes they can ask to see the bank account that your wages go into. TBH I can't see what your DH is getting so irked about. They are not there to judge they are just getting a picture of your circumstances.

If he doesn't want to give the OR bank statements then the OR can say that he will look at it as you are both paying 50/50 towards the bills and so you will have a surplus to go to an IPA.

Unfortunatly we cannot second guess what an individual OR will do and until you have spoken to him and explained the situation then there is nothing that can be done by worrying. The OR may listen to you and go OK fair enough and accept what he is being told or he may not. If he doesn't and he wants to impose an IPA and you want to fight it as you know there is no surplus then posters like debt doctor will be able to help you.
    Originally posted by tigerfeet2006

Thanks for your quick reply Tigerfeet. My husband is very much 'you've made your bed, now lie in it' - there's not a lot I can do about that I'm afraid He doesn't want the OR to get involved with his affairs as he's a very private person. I only earn just under £450 per month and we don't get any benefits. Surely the OR can see from that amount of monthly income that I can't be contributing 50/50 to anything realistically, with a monthly private rent of £575 as well as other expenses on the top, council tax, fuel bills etc. etc.

Sorry Tiger, not ranting at you!! Just generally sounding off as I don't have a great record at dealing with this kind of thing.
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 26th Sep 16, 2:54 PM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 29,766 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    No I know you are not ranting at me.

I suspect that the OR will do exactly that. Look at your incomings and the outgoings and say fair enough. I was just giving worst case scenario.
    BSCno.87
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
    • worriedmamma
    • By worriedmamma 26th Sep 16, 4:40 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    worriedmamma
    I haven't been asked to provide any bank statements yet. My husbands salary goes from his acct straight to mine (or did before they closed the account!) so the money going in and out isn't a reflection on what is *mine* at all.
    • Piggywinkle
    • By Piggywinkle 29th Sep 16, 10:25 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Piggywinkle
    Hi all,

I have my phone interview scheduled for Wednesday at 10am - the OR asked me, yesterday morning, if I could do it then and there, but I had nothing prepared so asked if I could schedule it for another time.

She did ask where my PPI had gone and I explained what I'd done. She said that I shouldn't have spent the money as it was deemed an asset in my BR.

I'm terrified now - I always worried if it was the right thing to do and now I'm probably going to get a BRO over it or something
    • Muttipops
    • By Muttipops 29th Sep 16, 10:47 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Muttipops
    Piggywinkle, were you advised by any debt charity that spending the PPI would be OK, as you seem to indicate you were? Do you have this in writing or could you get the adviser to write a letter of explanation to show the OR?
    Do you have any PPI money left?
    If it was only £2k and £680 had to go on BR fees, there is not exactly much left to give the OR and also you have the receipts to show that you bought essentials with it. Please explain this to the OR. She said you should not have spent it, but you have, you can't undo it and so explaining the desperation of your situation will go a long way towards them looking favourably towards this, coupled with what seems to be advice to do so.
    I would not overly worry this one, large amounts of money are not involved and you would seem to have some mitigating circumstances and advice given that you followed.
    • Piggywinkle
    • By Piggywinkle 29th Sep 16, 11:19 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Piggywinkle
    Piggywinkle, were you advised by any debt charity that spending the PPI would be OK, as you seem to indicate you were? Do you have this in writing or could you get the adviser to write a letter of explanation to show the OR?
    Do you have any PPI money left?
    If it was only £2k and £680 had to go on BR fees, there is not exactly much left to give the OR and also you have the receipts to show that you bought essentials with it. Please explain this to the OR. She said you should not have spent it, but you have, you can't undo it and so explaining the desperation of your situation will go a long way towards them looking favourably towards this, coupled with what seems to be advice to do so.
    I would not overly worry this one, large amounts of money are not involved and you would seem to have some mitigating circumstances and advice given that you followed.
    Originally posted by Muttipops

It was StepChange who advised me to spend the money on essential expenditure - 3 different advisers on 3 different occasions. I was also advised by a few members of the forum that this advice was sensible. Unfortunately, I don't have written evidence of this as it was all seemingly given on the QT so I'm not sure if they'd provide written evidence, but it may be worth a try. I don't want to get anyone in trouble at StepChange for giving me that advice :/

Like you say, after the £680 BR fees, there wasn't enough to offer anything that would make any real difference to my creditors if split equally. My debts are just under 19k in total. I can only hope that the OR sees that I was genuinely in need of this stuff for my family to lead a decent quality of life.
    Last edited by Piggywinkle; Yesterday at 11:25 AM.
    • worriedmamma
    • By worriedmamma 29th Sep 16, 11:31 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    worriedmamma
    Piggywinkle, if StepChange advised you it would be ok 3 separate times please do not worry, just explain this to the OR when you speak with her and be honest. It's not like you had £100k and spent it, it's a small amount in the grand scheme.
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 29th Sep 16, 7:42 PM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 29,766 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    How the frickin' heck could it be an asset in your BR? You weren't BR when you spent it

Stepchange were not wrong in their advice and neither were the members of this board. We have seen this sort of thing countless times on the board and in real life. For less money and more money. She is talking out of her behind. If she tries to persue it then there are several lovely people here who will help you with letters etc. to the OR to defend your actions.

YOU DID NOTHING WRONG.
    BSCno.87
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
    • Muttipops
    • By Muttipops 29th Sep 16, 7:49 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Muttipops
    The days before and just after bankruptcy can seriously do your head in, because there are so many what ifs and what abouts.
    Hang on in there, Piggywinkle, we are all here for you and will do all we can to help you.
    • Piggywinkle
    • By Piggywinkle 30th Sep 16, 9:52 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Piggywinkle
    Thank you all so much xxx

I suffer with anxiety terribly which makes me panic at the best of times. I'm also having depressive episodes again so have a doctors appointment on Tuesday.

I really do appreciate your support x
    • Muttipops
    • By Muttipops 30th Sep 16, 10:01 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Muttipops
    Well done for making a doctors appointment and not suffering in silence.
    I have found this is a very useful website for if you are suffering from anxiety, with things you can do to help you cope.

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/anxiety.htm

If you do have time for a read, there is lots you can do to help yourself and just doing something about it instead of feeling rollercoasted by the anxiety can be of great help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,855Posts Today

5,203Users online

Martin's Twitter