Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mistersneezy
    • By mistersneezy 22nd Sep 16, 9:28 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 14Thanks
    mistersneezy
    Travel insurance request home insurance details
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:28 PM
    Travel insurance request home insurance details 22nd Sep 16 at 9:28 PM
    Hello Money Savers,
    I haven't posted on here for a while but hoped somebody out there might be able to help. I have had to make a claim on my travel insurance for a bag and its contents that were stolen on holiday. Passports, gadgets, some clothing, and a few other items all taken by some light fingered individual at the airport. The police even showed me him running away with it on CCTV!
    My travel insurance company has asked me to provide them with my home contents insurance schedule. I have discovered that this is so that they can contact them and ask them to possibly make a contribution where insurances ‘overlap’. I am concerned that if they contact my home insurers, even if they can't get them to contribute, future premiums for my home insurance may be increased as just knowing of the claim they may deem me a greater risk. If I make a bona-fide claim on my travel insurance, with police reports to substantiate, I do not expect my travel insurance company to seek to extract cash from third parties, just to relieve themselves of their obligations, which could then be to my detriment.
    My question is, can I just tell them I am not giving them those details? Am I obliged to? They have also, at this very early stage, requested my bank details. They say that they are required to make a speedy payment to me if my claim is successful. In this day and age, where every man and his dog are being hacked, I would rather not give out my bank details willy nilly to those who don't necessarily need them and am quite prepared to wait a little longer for a cheque. Do I have to give them my bank details or can I refuse? I would appreciate your thoughts on this but it would be great if anybody knew for definite where I stand legally on this.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 22nd Sep 16, 9:43 PM
    • 29,814 Posts
    • 14,031 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:43 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:43 PM
    Yes you must comply with the request (if you want your claim dealt with)

Tell them you aren't happy giving them bank details and take it from their reply
    • rs65
    • By rs65 22nd Sep 16, 10:05 PM
    • 4,846 Posts
    • 2,276 Thanks
    rs65
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:05 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:05 PM
    Some useful info here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5322577
    • mistersneezy
    • By mistersneezy 22nd Sep 16, 10:08 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    mistersneezy
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:08 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:08 PM
    Thanks for your quick reply Quentin. I can see that you post here regularly so your advice is very much appreciated. With regard to 'Yes you must comply', I take it you have some knowledge of this and it's not just an opinion?
    • mistersneezy
    • By mistersneezy 22nd Sep 16, 10:31 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    mistersneezy
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:31 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:31 PM
    Thanks rs65. Just read that thread. Looks like it'should common practice. My concern is will it leave a footprint on my house insurance? Never claimed on house insurance before and as a result I get it at a really good price every year. Wouldn't want that to change......
    Interesting article here:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-20910130

This guy doesn't really agree with the practice. He's Steve Howard, secretary of the Association of Travel Insurance Intermediaries.
    • TSx
    • By TSx 23rd Sep 16, 12:46 AM
    • 759 Posts
    • 527 Thanks
    TSx
    • 23rd Sep 16, 12:46 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 12:46 AM
    Thanks rs65. Just read that thread. Looks like it'should common practice. My concern is will it leave a footprint on my house insurance? Never claimed on house insurance before and as a result I get it at a really good price every year. Wouldn't want that to change......
    Interesting article here:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-20910130

This guy doesn't really agree with the practice. He's Steve Howard, secretary of the Association of Travel Insurance Intermediaries.
    Originally posted by mistersneezy
    It is very unikely to result in a premium increase on your home insurance - I'm unwilling to say it definitely won't, but I've never seen a travel contribution claim (on home insurance) affect a premium for a home insurance policy across several insurers. The agreement says they cannot affect your home NCD as a result of a claim on a travel policy and this has always been interpreted to mean it doesn't affect your premiums.

There is a principle of insurance which means if two insurers are covering the same loss under different policies, they will share the costs. It is not a case of your travel insurer trying to 'extract cash from third parties' - they are claiming something they are potentially entitled to, as are you.

In terms of bank details, by all means you can request a cheque. I've not seen an insurer who won't issue a cheque when requested.
    • mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 23rd Sep 16, 10:29 AM
    • 171 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    mattk_180
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:29 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:29 AM
    Thanks for your quick reply Quentin. I can see that you post here regularly so your advice is very much appreciated. With regard to 'Yes you must comply', I take it you have some knowledge of this and it's not just an opinion?
    Originally posted by mistersneezy

I second what Quentin said about complying.

It's to ensure that you don't claim from your travel policy and then go to your house insurer and claim again, meaning you are then in a better position than you were before.

If they find there's no cover, they will settle it themselves, if there is, then the insurers will share the costs.
    • mistersneezy
    • By mistersneezy 23rd Sep 16, 10:36 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    mistersneezy
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:36 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:36 AM
    Thanks for your comments mattk_180. It seems like this is common practice. Did you read the link I posted earlier from the BBC website? What do you make of that?
    • mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 23rd Sep 16, 11:03 AM
    • 171 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    mattk_180
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:03 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:03 AM
    I have, and unfortunately it's just "another one of those things".

The travel insurer has a right to seek contributions from the house insurer, who in turn incurs a loss and increased your premium accordingly without much you can do about it.

Many insurers put non-contribution clauses into their policies now to avoid this type of scenario.

The problem is, with travel insurance, there is rarely a recovery so even if you were not at fault, it is going to affect your premiums regardless.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 23rd Sep 16, 5:52 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    What will likely happen is that your travel insurers will seek a recovery from your home insurers. But it won't impact your NCD.
    Slimming Target;
    Total weight lost = 14lb
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 23rd Sep 16, 6:03 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    Contribution, not recovery.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,424Posts Today

7,938Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: What proportion of your usual monthly spending do you do in cash (ie not plastic, bank transfer, cheque etc)

• RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Follow Martin