Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lottiemay
    • By lottiemay 22nd Sep 16, 8:31 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lottiemay
    MIL Collections
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:31 PM
    MIL Collections 22nd Sep 16 at 8:31 PM
    I have had 2 letters through today from MIL. One titled debt sold and the other Letter before action. Can you point me in the right direction as to what I should do next please?
Page 1
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 22nd Sep 16, 8:44 PM
    • 3,551 Posts
    • 3,935 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:44 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:44 PM
    I have had 2 letters through today from MIL. One titled debt sold and the other Letter before action. Can you point me in the right direction as to what I should do next please?
    Originally posted by lottiemay
    Well, that is very smart of MIL ???

Before you start having a fit, you really do need to "read all about it"

MIL are known scammers who like to prey on vunerable people

Check them out
    http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=MIL

Up to you if you want to deal with scammers.

If you do respond ENSURE YOU ARE THE KEEPER NOT THE DRIVER

They appear to have an invisible man working for them who calls himself Matt Murdoch, sometimes spelling it Murdock, split personality no doubt ?

So any correspondence should be addressed for the personal attention of Mr Matt Murdoch(k) ..... wonder what they will say ??
    The courts are still waiting to find out who he is ??
    Last edited by beamerguy; 22-09-2016 at 9:02 PM.
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • lottiemay
    • By lottiemay 22nd Sep 16, 9:16 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lottiemay
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:16 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:16 PM
    Thank you for your response, but should I respond to the letter before action?
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 22nd Sep 16, 9:27 PM
    • 3,551 Posts
    • 3,935 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:27 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:27 PM
    Can you scan the letter and upload to a free hosting site like photobucket so we can see.

As you are new here you cannot post a live link so use hxxp instead of http

We can then see if it's real or a debt collectors letter. If the word "may" is used it's probably debt trawling.

Hide all personal information please

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Sep 16, 10:30 PM
    • 38,232 Posts
    • 49,704 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:30 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:30 PM
    Yes. Search the forum for 'MIL' and be ready to defend this because MIL will call your bluff anyway and will proceed with court papers.

You DO have legs to stand on; almost all well-defended cases v MIL are won.

HO87 has posted a defence on a thread recently, re a MIL case. So start searching and seeing what will happen next from other threads, so you are not taken by surprise.

Oh, and do not reply to any private message from a poster with less than 1000 posts to their name here. We deal with these issues openly on the forum and any pm could be from anyone at all (even the parking firm) and is not recommended to be replied to/read. HO87 is too busy to pm people to help so any replies will be here on your thread, so keep it updated.
    PCN in a private car park in England/Wales? DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

USE THE 'FORUM JUMP' ON RIGHT, GO TO THE PARKING TICKETS FORUM. READ THE 'NEWBIES' THREAD.
    Do NOT read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• HO87
    • By HO87 23rd Sep 16, 2:27 AM
    • 4,059 Posts
    • 7,096 Thanks
    HO87
    • 23rd Sep 16, 2:27 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 2:27 AM
    @lottiemay

Yes. Absolutely you should respond to MIL's Letter Before Action. As you have probably gathered this is one of the two types of communication you should never ignore.

The other thing you should accept is that the very next thing you will receive in the post is a Claim Form from the county court. This is MIL's standard operation procedure. They buy up so-called debts at pennies on the pound and issue proceedings almost immediately as - effectively - its sole means of collecting the "debt". From that perspective they are bullies and the only way of dealing with them is the never back down.

They have been repeatedly beaten - and beaten soundly - at court (Look at all the blogs about them on Parking Prankster). Only yesterday they were hammered yet again by a district judge for coming to his court with no evidence. So, unless you believe that it would be better to simply pay up and avoid the hassle - the court process is not for everyone we understand that - we can help you to deal with this.

I would add that the vast majority of cases I have personally seen from MIL (not sure I want to total them up but it is not a small number and heading towards 100) the majority were discontinued before the matter got to court (basically MIL withdrew their cases) and usually at the point when they received a solid defence. So, just because things start off on the court route doesn't mean that it will inevitably end in a hearing.

MIL will ignore your letter or may send you a template, non-specific response. Do not be flustered by that as this is what they always do. You response should be something like:

MIL Collections Ltd

Dear Sirs

Re: MIL Collections Ltd -v- Myself - Letter Before Action
    Reference: PZXZXZXZ

I refer to the above letter dated <insert date> September 2016.

Based upon the scant detail I understand that you allege that I am responsible for an unpaid parking charge incurred by the driver of a vehicle <insert registration number>.

I deny I owe any debt to you or any other party.

In the absence of any detail (and documents upon which you intend to rely) required to be disclosed to me at this point by virtue of the Practice Direction on Pre-action Protocols & Conduct I can make no assessment of the case you assert you have and am therefore prevented from engaging in any meaningful dialogue.

Upon receipt of such detail I will consider the matter further.

Yours faithfully

lottiemay
    Post this to them by first class post - making sure you have a copy of the finished letter - and post it from a Post Counter and ask the counter staff for a certificate of posting - these are free (yeah, we know its a pain in the rear end). Sending it by other means they may well reject a letter sent Recorded/Special Delivery whereas this will appear to be just another letter. A certificate of posting is good to prove delivery in a civil court.
    Last edited by HO87; 23-09-2016 at 4:37 AM.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016).

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
    • henrik777
    • By henrik777 23rd Sep 16, 8:17 AM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 26,242 Thanks
    henrik777
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:17 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:17 AM
    Sometimes they don't even make a hearing

• beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 23rd Sep 16, 8:41 AM
    • 3,551 Posts
    • 3,935 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:41 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:41 AM
    @HO87

Do you think that MIL have some sort of OCD as they practice self harm ?

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 23rd Sep 16, 9:06 AM
    • 4,322 Posts
    • 3,703 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:06 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:06 AM
    no , I think for every one case that gets to court or is defended , they have pocketed about 20 x £150 with people automatically paying up
    Have YOU had to walk 500 miles?
    Were you advised to walk 500 more?
    You could be entitled to compensation.
    Call the Pro Claimers NOW.
    • trisontana
    • By trisontana 23rd Sep 16, 9:12 AM
    • 8,823 Posts
    • 13,340 Thanks
    trisontana
    no , I think for every one case that gets to court or is defended , they have pocketed about 20 x £150 with people automatically paying up
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    I agree. It's just a numbers game to MIL. Unfortunately there are enough suckers out there who will pay up because of their scant knowledge of the law. They are under the mistaken belief that they will end up with a criminal record, or the bailiffs will come found and seize their good and chattels , or that they will automatically get a CCJ.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 23rd Sep 16, 9:34 AM
    • 5,253 Posts
    • 3,798 Thanks
    The Deep
    They are under the mistaken belief that they will end up with a criminal record, or the bailiffs will come found and seize their good and chattels , or that they will automatically get a CCJ.

If that is what they think then they deserve to be ripped off.

There is no excuses in this age of Google for people to act in such an ill informed way. The world is full of people trying to scam other people, so every letter, every 'phone call, every email should be treated as suspicious.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,943Posts Today

8,158Users online

Martin's Twitter