Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ANNA
    • By ANNA 22nd Sep 16, 8:29 PM
    • 105Posts
    • 12Thanks
    ANNA
    eBay buyers INR claims
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:29 PM
    eBay buyers INR claims 22nd Sep 16 at 8:29 PM
    I have been selling some items on eBay and now have 2 INR claims.

The first buyer was a claim at first opportunity, so to speak, so I enquired further. Buyer got rude and defensive, requires an immediate refund as she had to buy elsewhere, yet there's no evidence of another purchase on her eBay a/c and she didn't give me the opportunity to send another. It doesn't quite add up, but I'm inclined to refund her. Can she leave feedback? Will I get a defect?

The second buyer was disputing the item description before I'd even sent it. I replied that he should ideally have asked his questions prior to buying, that I could refund him but he wanted it sent, dispite his "disappoointment". Now claims it hasn't arrived, in what is an unnecessarily rude message. Again, I'm having to refund, but can the buyer leave feedback?

I intend to block both buyers.
    Last edited by ANNA; 22-09-2016 at 8:31 PM.
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 22nd Sep 16, 8:49 PM
    • 57,423 Posts
    • 40,556 Thanks
    soolin
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:49 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:49 PM
    Firstly, always ask buyers to open a case in eBay and refund via that means, that helps eBay identify serial claimants. It also prevents you getting a defect and means your FVFs are refunded automatically.

Both buyers remain able to leave feedback.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ANNA
    • By ANNA 22nd Sep 16, 9:23 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    ANNA
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:23 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:23 PM
    So I lose just the PayPal fee? I mean the 20p per tranaction fee.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 22nd Sep 16, 10:22 PM
    • 57,423 Posts
    • 40,556 Thanks
    soolin
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:22 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:22 PM
    So I lose just the PayPal fee? I mean the 20p per tranaction fee.
    Originally posted by ANNA
    Unfortunately yes, a 20p paypal fee will be charged even on a full refund for a lost item.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ANNA
    • By ANNA 22nd Sep 16, 10:32 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    ANNA
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:32 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:32 PM
    Thanks Soolin.

Add a third case! This time INAD. I sent a secondhand household battery operated electrical item. I cleaned it, checked it and a friend's husband who's an electrical engineer, checked it over.

Buyer claims it works too slowly, wants her refund but not "the hassle of returning it". She claims she wants to "bin it" to save return postage cost to me.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 23rd Sep 16, 7:44 AM
    • 57,423 Posts
    • 40,556 Thanks
    soolin
    • 23rd Sep 16, 7:44 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 7:44 AM
    Thanks Soolin.

Add a third case! This time INAD. I sent a secondhand household battery operated electrical item. I cleaned it, checked it and a friend's husband who's an electrical engineer, checked it over.

Buyer claims it works too slowly, wants her refund but not "the hassle of returning it". She claims she wants to "bin it" to save return postage cost to me.
    A business seller and an INAD means you have to pay the return postage. Depending on cost of return, send her a label or the amount needed to return it via a sensible method and just remind her politely that it will need to come back before you refund.

In the 'old' days we could ask people to return for a refund, but most buyers know now that they can ask for postage to return- so you need to weigh up the risks of insisting she returns and then confirming you will pay X amount for that return as well as the original payment, or just send a label.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 23rd Sep 16, 9:30 AM
    • 2,049 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:30 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:30 AM

I would bet good money all 3 of your buyers are lying based on what you've said.

Always ask a buyer claiming INR to open a case so you can deal wit their issue. With your SNAD buyer ask her to open a return so you "may assist", don't mention them having to return or argue anything yet. Once/if the return is open just hit accept return, likelihood is they'll give up, they clearly want the item and the money.

Buyers making false INR claims rarely leave bad feedback, with the SNAD eBay may help if the buyer doesn't return anything.

Either way report all 3 buyers via your seller dashboard.
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 23rd Sep 16, 9:47 AM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 856 Thanks
    bxboards
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:47 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:47 AM
    I would not be so quick refunding the item, do not make it easy for potential scammers! Insist you can do nothing until they open an Ebay Case, so you can discuss it with Ebay.

I had a buyer sending me a very long 'disappointed' mail earlier this week asking if there was anything I could do, as they did not want to pay return postage.

It turns out their disappointment was due to them not reading the listing, and they were disappointed with themselves, not me.

As they did not want to return it, and I would not let them keep it for free, they gave positive feedback, and moved on.
    • ANNA
    • By ANNA 23rd Sep 16, 11:19 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    ANNA
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:19 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:19 AM
    All 3 buyers had opened an eBay case. They seem to know their way around 'the system'. Yes, I suspect all 3 are scammers, yet I need to protect my eBay a/c status and also not spend too much time on this.

I have refunded the 2 INR claims. Blocked them. I've submitted RM claim forms.

Still not sure how to deal with the SNAD. I'm 100% sure I sent a fully working appliance and accurately described it in my listing. I included new batteries in a blister pack and expect this has all been opened.

Soolin, BTW, I am not a business seller. Just decluttering and downsizing me and family.
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 23rd Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 856 Thanks
    bxboards
    I have refunded the 2 INR claims. Blocked them. I've submitted RM claim forms.
    If you think the INR claims are scammers, why have you claimed from RM?

You think they have the goods, and you do not think RM have lost the items...
    • ANNA
    • By ANNA 23rd Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    ANNA
    bx,
    It is my suspicion, I have no proof. I am perfectly within my rights to submit a claim form to RM. In fact, their form makes provision for suspect cases, and RM carry out their own investigations and have alerts for high levels of INR at particular addresses.

When I informed my buyers that RM would be carrying out investigations, I got a reply that supported my suspicions. RM have powers to combat these people.
    • RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 25th Sep 16, 9:53 PM
    • 1,889 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    RHemmings
    If you think the INR claims are scammers, why have you claimed from RM?

You think they have the goods, and you do not think RM have lost the items...
    Originally posted by bxboards
    This is a very good question.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

3,870Users online

Martin's Twitter