Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • welshguy_456
    • By welshguy_456 22nd Sep 16, 8:13 PM
    • 106Posts
    • 5Thanks
    welshguy_456
    Breaking up and remortgaging in December
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:13 PM
    Breaking up and remortgaging in December 22nd Sep 16 at 8:13 PM
    Hi all, after 9 years together and 2 years engaged my fianc! has dropped a bomb that she doesn't feel the same and wants to break up. To cut a long story short we are on a 2 year fix that is due to end on December 31st and the plan is for me to take on the remortgage on myself.

If this happens will I need to remove her from the mortgage at all seeing as I'll be applying in my sole name? This is all of course if I get the remortgage on my own in the first place

Thanks
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 22nd Sep 16, 8:20 PM
    • 49,943 Posts
    • 41,612 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:20 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:20 PM
    If you are unable to remortgage the property into your sole name. Then your ex will want the property sold. Remaining on the mortgage resolves nothing and merely creates complexity in the future.
    A man is rich who lives upon what he has. A man is poor who lives upon what is coming. A prudent man lives within his income, and saves against a rainy day.
    • welshguy_456
    • By welshguy_456 22nd Sep 16, 8:38 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    welshguy_456
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:38 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:38 PM
    If I couldn't remortgage it on my own and we came to an agreement to remortgage it together, would it be possible to remove her after a while and carry on the repayments myself?

The background is a lot of my wage is comission based which I know they won't look at as guaranteed income, but I can afford the payments on my own without her it's just the sticking point of remortgaging the amount we need to borrow

I have a basic wage of 25k plus comission and we will owe 102k in December

Thanks
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 22nd Sep 16, 8:50 PM
    • 49,943 Posts
    • 41,612 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:50 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:50 PM
    Won't your ex want her share of the equity in the property.
    A man is rich who lives upon what he has. A man is poor who lives upon what is coming. A prudent man lives within his income, and saves against a rainy day.
    • welshguy_456
    • By welshguy_456 22nd Sep 16, 8:53 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    welshguy_456
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:53 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:53 PM
    I originally paid the deposit on the house and we had an agreement (through solicitors) that if anything ever happened I.e a break up, that any sale of the house the original deposit comes to me first then any equity after this would be split 50/50 but I doubt there would be anything left after this.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 22nd Sep 16, 10:13 PM
    • 29,637 Posts
    • 15,713 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:13 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:13 PM
    Hi all, after 9 years together and 2 years engaged my fianc! has dropped a bomb that she doesn't feel the same and wants to break up. To cut a long story short we are on a 2 year fix that is due to end on December 31st and the plan is for me to take on the remortgage on myself.

If this happens will I need to remove her from the mortgage at all seeing as I'll be applying in my sole name? This is all of course if I get the remortgage on my own in the first place
    Originally posted by welshguy_456
    You will need to apply for a sole mortgage and evidence affordability to the existing or new lender's satisfaction. Key your figures into lender online calculators, or have a broker do it for you if you're not sure what to enter.

If you can afford it, a new sole mortgage will be offered and the solicitor you employ will conduct a transfer of equity to remove your former partner from the property ownership.

On completion, the property and mortgage will be in your sole name.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,100Posts Today

7,195Users online

Martin's Twitter