Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Firstwatch
    • By Firstwatch 22nd Sep 16, 8:04 PM
    • 265Posts
    • 1,330Thanks
    Firstwatch
    buyer abusing returns policy-worth pursuing?
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:04 PM
    buyer abusing returns policy-worth pursuing? 22nd Sep 16 at 8:04 PM
    Hello All,
    • I am registered as a business seller and I sold an item to an experienced ebay user.
    • She emailed me to say it had puncture marks and didn't work.
    • I agreed to a return and got it back today, whereupon I found it was in the exactly the same condition that I posted it in, self inflating correctly and working fine.
    • Believing that she has changed her mind or something and was not willing to pay the return postage, I called ebay immediately who suggested I offer her a partial refund. The item cost £40 with free p&p.
    • At the moment, I am £3.90 (RM p&p) + £2.99 (ebay label) + 26p listing fee out of pocket.
    Is this worth pursuing? Is it worth risking a negative? should I offer a partial refund and if so, how much?
    The benefit of other's experience is always appreciated...
Page 1
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 22nd Sep 16, 9:51 PM
    • 8,458 Posts
    • 9,495 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:51 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:51 PM
    What do your listings state with regards to return postage costs should the buyer change their mind?

You should forget about the original postage costs of £3.90 as you have to cover this if the buyer wants to return the goods as is their right under the Consumer contract regulations (assuming that they were acting as a consumer).
    • Firstwatch
    • By Firstwatch 22nd Sep 16, 11:07 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 1,330 Thanks
    Firstwatch
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:07 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:07 PM
    Hello, yes, I know this as a business seller on ebay UK I have to accept returns and I would have been happy accept a "change of mind" return with the buyer paying the return postage. My issue is that the buyer is obviously lying and being very dramatic, presumably as they think it will help, as the item is absolutely fine.

I am not so tight that I can't write off another £3 on top of the original postage outlay - it's the fact the I have done everything correctly and the buyer seems to want to abuse the system.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 22nd Sep 16, 11:17 PM
    • 8,458 Posts
    • 9,495 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:17 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:17 PM
    But what do your listings say about returns? and more importantly, do they state that if someone wants to return something, they must cover the return postage cost?
    • Firstwatch
    • By Firstwatch 22nd Sep 16, 11:29 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 1,330 Thanks
    Firstwatch
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:29 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:29 PM
    yes, it does say return costs must be paid by the buyer. This is based on the buyer changing their mind though, the buyer has opened an "item doesn't work/is defective return" which makes me liable for the return cost
    • soolin
    • By soolin 23rd Sep 16, 7:50 AM
    • 57,438 Posts
    • 40,566 Thanks
    soolin
    • 23rd Sep 16, 7:50 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 7:50 AM
    yes, it does say return costs must be paid by the buyer. This is based on the buyer changing their mind though, the buyer has opened an "item doesn't work/is defective return" which makes me liable for the return cost
    Originally posted by Firstwatch
    It is not unknown for some buyers to abuse the system and assuming your policy clearly states that buyers must pay to return 'change of mind returns' then it is likely you have been caught by such a buyer. This is also seen where sellers haven't ticked the 'returns accepted' box as buyers then feel the only way they can get a return is to go for SNAD- as a business seller that should be an obligatory statement - but there are a few ebay glitches so it is worth just making sure that your return policy still shows and hasn't been lost in the ether.

Just refund and block them and perhaps try reporting buyer to ebay for misuse of the returns system. The latter won't help you but may mark the card of any buyers that does this regularly.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 23rd Sep 16, 8:47 AM
    • 5,075 Posts
    • 3,850 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:47 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:47 AM
    I sold a pair of BNWT trousers. the buyer claimed they were defective as they didn't fit him and were not the same a pair he previously owned. I had to pay return postage and received them back covered in cat hairs. From memory I managed to get the postage costs paid by ebay but it took a lot of work and wasn't worth the effort.
    I wanted the buyer marked as a returns policy abuser. Not sure if you can leave feedback stating this.
    Too cool for school. Also too old for school.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 23rd Sep 16, 9:04 AM
    • 57,438 Posts
    • 40,566 Thanks
    soolin
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:04 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:04 AM
    I sold a pair of BNWT trousers. the buyer claimed they were defective as they didn't fit him and were not the same a pair he previously owned. I had to pay return postage and received them back covered in cat hairs. From memory I managed to get the postage costs paid by ebay but it took a lot of work and wasn't worth the effort.
    I wanted the buyer marked as a returns policy abuser. Not sure if you can leave feedback stating this.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    negative comments on a positive feedback are removable by ebay and the seller will get a slap if reported.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 23rd Sep 16, 9:18 AM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:18 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:18 AM
    Easier just to refund OP and be happy you got the item back in one piece.

Report the buyer via your seller dashboard, leave them standard positive feedback and after 60 days from sale or they've left feedback in return leave a follow up on the feedback on the buyers profile along the lines of:

"Please accept our apologies that your order wasn't as described"
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 23rd Sep 16, 9:43 AM
    • 1,067 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    bxboards
    Easier just to refund OP and be happy you got the item back in one piece.

Report the buyer via your seller dashboard, leave them standard positive feedback and after 60 days from sale or they've left feedback in return leave a follow up on the feedback on the buyers profile along the lines of:

"Please accept our apologies that your order wasn't as described"
    Originally posted by the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Nice, but I would change it slightly..'Please accept our apologies that you felt your order wasn't as described'
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 23rd Sep 16, 9:49 AM
    • 5,075 Posts
    • 3,850 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    negative comments on a positive feedback are removable by ebay and the seller will get a slap if reported.
    Originally posted by soolin
    You can leave subtle feedback. "Unfortunately item wasn't as expected and required return"
    Too cool for school. Also too old for school.
    • Firstwatch
    • By Firstwatch 23rd Sep 16, 10:39 AM
    • 265 Posts
    • 1,330 Thanks
    Firstwatch
    Just refund and block them and perhaps try reporting buyer to ebay for misuse of the returns system. The latter won't help you but may mark the card of any buyers that does this regularly.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Thank you, yes it's probably not worth drawing this out for the sake of a few quid and I have a feeling that if this buyer is petty enough to make a drama over not paying £3ish to return in they are probably petty enough to leave negative feedback if they don't get their way.

I'll refund and block but I don't think I'll leave any feedback at all, can't see a reason to when there was nothing wrong on my part
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 23rd Sep 16, 10:57 AM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks

I'll refund and block but I don't think I'll leave any feedback at all, can't see a reason to when there was nothing wrong on my part
    The reason to leave feedback is to be able leave a nice and clear follow up and warn your fellow sellers, something so visible may deter your buyer from chancing it again in the future as well.
    • Firstwatch
    • By Firstwatch 23rd Sep 16, 11:26 AM
    • 265 Posts
    • 1,330 Thanks
    Firstwatch
    The reason to leave feedback is to be able leave a nice and clear follow up and warn your fellow sellers, something so visible may deter your buyer from chancing it again in the future as well.
    Originally posted by the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Can I not leave a follow up to false negative feedback unless I have left positive feedback myself first? sorry, I don't understand
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 23rd Sep 16, 12:38 PM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    Can I not leave a follow up to false negative feedback unless I have left positive feedback myself first? sorry, I don't understand
    We leave a standard feedback (fast payment, excellent buyer, blah, blah) and then after they've left feedback or 60 days from sale have past (so they aren't angered by your comments and leave you bad feedback) you can go to your feedback profile and at the bottom are three links, one is to leave a follow to feedback left.

Basically you can follow up on either feedback left or received regardless of whether both buyer and seller have left feedback.

Nothing wrong with a nice and polite apology to show your sincerity for the problem they suffered.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,959Posts Today

7,675Users online

Martin's Twitter