Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 22nd Sep 16, 7:44 PM
    • 93Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Jlawson118
    How long will it take until my credit score settles down after too many applications?
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:44 PM
    How long will it take until my credit score settles down after too many applications? 22nd Sep 16 at 7:44 PM
    My ClearScore report updated yesterday and my score had dropped by about 50 points, and when looking at the negative factors, one of those was that I've made too many credit applications this year, which I don't deny.

I knew I was going abroad for a few months this summer and I wanted a card I could use abroad, and was rejected for the Lloyds Avios, and one of the comparison sites recommended the Aqua Advance, and so I applied and they accepted me. I tried for the Lloyds one again a month later and they accepted me.

Anyway, around a month ago, I got a car, and with me being 20, the insurance was 2500. I had 1500 of this and was waiting for a 2000 cheque to clear, so First Direct gave me a 1000 overdraft to help me. But I recently decided that over time, I wanted to move my lloyds account over to my Halifax and have two current accounts instead of three, so I thought that the overdraft from FD would come in handy on there. I got rejected by Halifax. So I tested the waster with lloyds who accepted me straight away.

Then I recently just bought a phone contract and the Carphone Warehouse did a hard search on me as well as O2, and I've also decided to move my Lloyds and Halifax over to Barclays as I'm disappointed with them, so they did a check and I also applied for a Barclaycard, they accepted me with a high credit limit too and now I'm settled.

It's been a bit of a messy year, but I'm settled now. How long before my credit score will be less impacted by all of the credit applications and searches?
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 22nd Sep 16, 8:28 PM
    • 50,030 Posts
    • 41,690 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:28 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:28 PM
    Four bank current accounts in a year will make people wonder. Decide who you main account is with and stick with them.
    A man is rich who lives upon what he has. A man is poor who lives upon what is coming. A prudent man lives within his income, and saves against a rainy day.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 22nd Sep 16, 9:13 PM
    • 8,723 Posts
    • 8,544 Thanks
    zx81
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:13 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:13 PM
    Good news OP. Your score means nothing, so please feel free to ignore it.
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 22nd Sep 16, 9:37 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:37 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:37 PM
    Four bank current accounts in a year will make people wonder. Decide who you main account is with and stick with them.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    Yeah I'll be going from four to two very shortly
    • dm19
    • By dm19 23rd Sep 16, 1:04 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dm19
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:04 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:04 AM
    The score is just a generated number based on one companies algorithms, it will vary at every bank. I think credit file searches remain there for a year.

If your settled that's great, just leave it for a while and things will sort themselves out. Doing nothing is the most active way to improve your credit file by the sound of things.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,088Posts Today

6,057Users online

Martin's Twitter