Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LJI1976
    • By LJI1976 22nd Sep 16, 7:37 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LJI1976
    Carers Allowance?
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:37 PM
    Carers Allowance? 22nd Sep 16 at 7:37 PM
    Hi all I have a few questions about benefits me and my partner maybe entitled to.

I am 40 and currently off work sick with stress/depression for the last 3 months now, My partner was diagnosed with Young Onset Parkinson's Disease in March he's only 36 and been out of work since last November.

We currently get-:

£88.45 SSP per week
    £21.88 WTC per week
    £80.00 HB per week for 13 weeks then down to £74.49 so will have to pay £5.51 topup.
    CT fully paid.
    We have about 9k savings.

Now this is where I need advice my partner made a claim for PIP in May and got passed for Daily living - standard rate at £55.10 and got a lump sum of around £900 backdated from May, Am I right in saying that we don't need to inform the council that were getting PIP and it won't affect our HB/CT as it's not means tested?

Also I have been looking in to Carers Allowance as I have to care for my partner on a daily basis (make meals,cut his food up,manage his medication,bathe etc..) can I claim Carers Allowance while getting SSP? If so will it affect how much HB/CT we get or is it not means tested?

Also while I am here is there any benefit my partner can claim? As atm he isn't on a benefit that pays his NI stamp, Not sure on ESA as I get SSP but would he entitled to the premium if he passes.

All this benefit system is so confusing but would like to get any extra help were entitled to.

Thanks LJ x
Page 1
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 22nd Sep 16, 9:12 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:12 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:12 PM
    I am receipt of carers allowance and also receive CT reduction.

I couldn't give you any further advice other than to contact the lovely folk here
    http://www.carersuk.org/

Give them a call and they will help.
    • micky2phones
    • By micky2phones 22nd Sep 16, 11:05 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    micky2phones
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:05 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:05 PM
    Hi all I have a few questions about benefits me and my partner maybe entitled to.

I am 40 and currently off work sick with stress/depression for the last 3 months now, My partner was diagnosed with Young Onset Parkinson's Disease in March he's only 36 and been out of work since last November.

We currently get-:

£88.45 SSP per week
    £21.88 WTC per week
    £80.00 HB per week for 13 weeks then down to £74.49 so will have to pay £5.51 topup.
    CT fully paid.
    We have about 9k savings.

Now this is where I need advice my partner made a claim for PIP in May and got passed for Daily living - standard rate at £55.10 and got a lump sum of around £900 backdated from May, Am I right in saying that we don't need to inform the council that were getting PIP and it won't affect our HB/CT as it's not means tested?

Also I have been looking in to Carers Allowance as I have to care for my partner on a daily basis (make meals,cut his food up,manage his medication,bathe etc..) can I claim Carers Allowance while getting SSP? If so will it affect how much HB/CT we get or is it not means tested?

Also while I am here is there any benefit my partner can claim? As atm he isn't on a benefit that pays his NI stamp, Not sure on ESA as I get SSP but would he entitled to the premium if he passes.

All this benefit system is so confusing but would like to get any extra help were entitled to.

Thanks LJ x
    Originally posted by LJI1976
    Hi, i would and i had informed the council of my income changes, to be fair each time they said they know but thank you anyway.

So theres no worries later.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 22nd Sep 16, 11:41 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:41 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:41 PM
    It's worth informing the council of the PIP award as you will get an additional disability premium, so your HB could actually increase.

Re: Carers Allowance (£62pw).
    "You might be able to get Carerís Allowance if all of the following apply:
    you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone in receipt of a qualifying benefit
    have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years
    you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales,
    you earn no more than £110 a week (after taxes, care costs while youíre at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension) - donít count your pension as income"

Since your SSP is less than £110, you may well be eligble for CA. I think it is possible to claim CA whilst receiving SSP. In certain circumstances it is possble for CA to be backdated to the date of the PIP award, I would strongly suggest you get prompt advice from your local CAB on this.
    (An award of CA would also lead to a further HB premium).
    But.... I'm not sure if your WTC would continue as the gov.uk site states "If you get Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit, you must contact the Tax Credits office to tell them about Carerís Allowance claim."
    Someone more expert than I may be able to confirm this.

Once your SSP stops (assuming you're not able to return to work) a joint ESa claim could be made.
    At this point the CA is likely to stop (as there are restrictions on receiving both ESa & CA), and instead you may get a premium added to the ESa award for caring responsibilities. An alternative may be to claim Income Support (should your partner fail the ESa WCA). Get advice on who should be the main claimant for ESa.

I'd strongly advise you to contact your local CAB and get a benefits check. As you say it is confusing, and there may be several possibilities available. You need to know which is the best one for you.
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 23-09-2016 at 12:04 AM.
    • baza52
    • By baza52 23rd Sep 16, 1:27 AM
    • 1,854 Posts
    • 1,786 Thanks
    baza52
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:27 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:27 AM
    Are HB aware of the 9k savings?
    • LJI1976
    • By LJI1976 23rd Sep 16, 3:11 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LJI1976
    • 23rd Sep 16, 3:11 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 3:11 AM
    @baza52 - Yeah we informed them of all savings when we applied with bank account print outs, guessing since we were only getting £110 pw (SSP,WTC) we are under the threshold of them affecting our claim as that would only equate to £12 extra pw they say you earn from your savings (don't earn anywhere near that!).

@Alice Holt - Thanks for the detailed reply, I will definitely look into seeing CAB to see whats best for us.

@Sam Fallow & @micky2phones - Thanks for the reply and help.
    Last edited by LJI1976; 23-09-2016 at 3:21 AM.
    • baza52
    • By baza52 23rd Sep 16, 4:10 AM
    • 1,854 Posts
    • 1,786 Thanks
    baza52
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:10 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:10 AM
    @baza52 - Yeah we informed them of all savings when we applied with bank account print outs, guessing since we were only getting £110 pw (SSP,WTC) we are under the threshold of them affecting our claim as that would only equate to £12 extra pw they say you earn from your savings (don't earn anywhere near that!).

@Alice Holt - Thanks for the detailed reply, I will definitely look into seeing CAB to see whats best for us.

@Sam Fallow & @micky2phones - Thanks for the reply and help.
    Originally posted by LJI1976
    does your HB award letter reflect the savings?
    Are they deducting money from your award for having savings over the limit?
    • Brighty
    • By Brighty 23rd Sep 16, 8:25 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Brighty
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:25 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:25 AM
    CA is counted as taxable income, so you'll need to let the tax credit people know so they can adjust your income and tax credits accordingly.

Brighty
    • bigbill
    • By bigbill 24th Sep 16, 11:52 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    bigbill
    • 24th Sep 16, 11:52 PM
    • 24th Sep 16, 11:52 PM
    You need to claim and backdate a carers allowance claim ASAP and claim Income Support as your partners carers as well, your due about £90 weekly dropping to £30 weekly once the carers is full paid at £62.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,299Posts Today

7,398Users online

Martin's Twitter