Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pennymakespounds
    • By pennymakespounds 22nd Sep 16, 6:44 PM
    • 1,440Posts
    • 284Thanks
    pennymakespounds
    Help ! Windows update not working ..??
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:44 PM
    Help ! Windows update not working ..?? 22nd Sep 16 at 6:44 PM
    Just starting up new laptop ....purchased this week

www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-250-g5-intel-core-i5-6200u-15-6-fhd-anti-glare-1-x-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-dvd-sm-dl-2509956

Got over american keyboard @ problem .. thank you MSE techies once again ... !!

only issue now seems to be that i'm trying to get windows updates .. and it's "checking for updates" .. with the green moving bar ... but nothing happening at all .. has been trying for hours now . ??
Page 1
    • jshm2
    • By jshm2 22nd Sep 16, 6:58 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    jshm2
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:58 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:58 PM
    Windows own updating system can be slow. Download and use WSUS Offline update instead.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 23rd Sep 16, 9:57 AM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:57 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:57 AM
    I have had this issue three times in the last few months (only ever on my lappy, never on main PC in same room using same router!!) and I have resorted to ignoring the "Check for updates now" button. Amazingly during one of the next start ups there will be an "Updates are available" flag. On the occasions when I fixed it, I went to see what my installed updates were and uninstalled the latest one, then either waited for the updates are available or went and downloaded it and installed it as a stand alone. As you have a new machine it might not have any updates installed yet.
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 23rd Sep 16, 10:14 AM
    • 2,209 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    Fightsback
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:14 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:14 AM
    I'm assuming you are running W7 as the pre-installed default OS for this lappy is W7 pro however you never answered the question when posed in your previous thread.

Windows 7 updates have been very slow as Microsoft seem to be prioritising W10 updates.

Personally If it were mine I would have wiped it and installed either W10 or W7 directly from ISO downloaded from Microsoft directly to make sure I had no HP shovelware on it.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
    • pennymakespounds
    • By pennymakespounds 23rd Sep 16, 10:20 AM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    pennymakespounds
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:20 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:20 AM
    yes , it is W7 pro .... which i want to keep .

There are some history updates showing , will try and uninstall them & try again
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 23rd Sep 16, 2:03 PM
    • 929 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    agarnett
    • 23rd Sep 16, 2:03 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 2:03 PM
    To take back control of W7 and stop any upgrade to W10, I understand there is a freeware utility called Never10 by an outfit called GRC (Steve Gibson of Gibson Research Corporation- whomever he might be - probably a jolly good fellow!) which seems to neatly postpone any automatic W10 upgrade activity that may still persist on a Windows machine. You can Enable/Disable W10 upgrade to suit yourself. It is said not to affect all other routine updates. However I note their download page does say that means it doesn't stop what they call the "infamous Get Windows 10 (GWX) update KB3035583". Instead it says it perfectly legally uses Microsoft's own configuration options to stop a change of the operating system, which I guess is a play on words to prevent Microsoft from claiming GRC have broken some licensing rule

It is extremely easy to find, run and use. I used it a week ago on a friend's machine.

Have a look at the download link and independent reviews in this simple Google search for Never10

I was introduced to it by the mother of a graduate data scientist also doing a Masters next year. She has W7 also and doesn't plan on letting it change any time soon! The data scientist is a committed Linux man of course, but doesn't expect his Mum to be, and anyway has long had an alternate W7 partition installed on his own machine mostly so he can stay current and laugh along in social discourse about Microsoft's weird ways, I think! He installed Never10 many months ago and currently recommends it for maintaining a sensible W7 status quo!
    Last edited by agarnett; 23-09-2016 at 2:06 PM.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 23rd Sep 16, 2:07 PM
    • 4,455 Posts
    • 2,956 Thanks
    victor2
    • 23rd Sep 16, 2:07 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 2:07 PM
    Now the free upgrade "window" to Win 10 has closed, it doesn't bug you any longer to accept it.
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 23rd Sep 16, 2:18 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Shrimply
    • 23rd Sep 16, 2:18 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 2:18 PM
    Can I hi-jack your thread slightly (OK a lot) and ask how you are finding the laptop, over and above the update issues.

This one is on my maybe list, can I ask particularly how you are finding the touchpad?
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 23rd Sep 16, 2:21 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 23rd Sep 16, 2:21 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 2:21 PM
    . I used it a week ago on a friend's machine. !
    Originally posted by agarnett

Why ? .

3 months ago called - it wants its post back

oh, and according to my dogs best friends brother who is doing a double blind study of the taste of pedigree chum, the weather in south china is unseasonably hot for this time of year.
    Of course that means that the university of Birmingham will be offering free lemonade to all users who can rub their belly, pat their head and press CTRL+ALT+DEL at the same time ... yada yada yada
    Last edited by AndyPix; 23-09-2016 at 2:27 PM.
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 23rd Sep 16, 2:21 PM
    • 2,209 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    Fightsback
    To take back control ...
    Please can you address all complaints here and stop making our eyes bleed:

Windows 10 Complainants Dept

320 Westlake Ave N
    Seattle
    WA 98109
    United States

I mention Steve Gibson and witch doctor in the same breath, the man's credibility (if he had any to start with) was destroyed centuries ago.
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 23rd Sep 16, 2:23 PM
    • 2,209 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    Fightsback
    Can I hi-jack your thread slightly (OK a lot) and ask how you are finding the laptop, over and above the update issues.

This one is on my maybe list, can I ask particularly how you are finding the touchpad?
    Originally posted by Shrimply
    A good question and in the spirit of this thread, Shrimpy I'd suggest also PMing the OP just to make sure you are heard above the noise.
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 23rd Sep 16, 2:31 PM
    • 929 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    agarnett
    Now the free upgrade "window" to Win 10 has closed, it doesn't bug you any longer to accept it.
    by victor2
    Sure that is one message that is out there. But there are lots of other "Help! What's it doing now?" type reports from Windows users. Who really knows whether they will switch on tomorrow and find their machine wants to take 2 hours to do something unexpected before they can use it, and if it is still W7 on the front splash, whether it is still W7 under the bonnet if Microsoft want to upgrade it in certain ways to suit Microsoft?
    . I used it a week ago on a friend's machine. !
    by me
    Why ?
    by AndyPix
    Because she asked her informed son how to stop W10 from disrupting the machine she relies upon for business, and he told her, and she passed on the response and asked me to find the download and try it. And I did (as you do!)

I mention Steve Gibson and witch doctor in the same breath, the man's credibility (if he had any to start with) was destroyed centuries ago.
    Originally posted by Fightsback
    Explain for the masses, please. Is his credibility in MS Windows matters less than or greater than yours?

Or more usefully, what does Never10 do that is bad for users who would rather stay on W7 for now? If you come up with a reasonable answer to that one, I shall pass it on to both the data scientist and his Mum!
    Last edited by agarnett; 23-09-2016 at 2:54 PM.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 23rd Sep 16, 2:33 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Because she asked her informed son how to stop W10 from disrupting the machine she relies upon for business, and he told her, and she passed on the response and asked me to find the download and try it. And I did (as you do!) !

So why didnt you just tell her that this is no longer an issue because the free upgrade saga has ended and no machines will be automatically updated now ?
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 23rd Sep 16, 2:35 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Or more usefully, what does Never10 do that is bad for users who would rather stay on W7 for now? If you come up with a reasonable answer to that one, I shall pass it on to both the data scientist and his Mum!

It doesnt do anything bad - Its doesnt have a use now that the MS upgrade push has ended.

Pass that to the data scientist and his mum .. and dad, why not
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 23rd Sep 16, 2:45 PM
    • 929 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    agarnett
    It doesnt do anything bad - Its doesnt have a use now that the MS upgrade push has ended.

Pass that to the data scientist and his mum .. and dad, why not
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Oh you mean AndyPix says, like Simon says?

Do you actually know that Never10 is now redundant, and do you believe that the end of the Microsoft Upgrade push as you call it was the end of automatic upgrades of major parts of the W7 operating system to W10 components?

I don't, but you may know better. Tell us what is likely to remain unchanged under the bonnet of W7 and what is likely to get changed like it or not.

Do you know how Never10 stopped the auto upgrade? Do you know if the "how" of Never10 might be enough to stop major OS component upgrade?

Or are you guessing?
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 23rd Sep 16, 2:53 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    AndyPix
    You are one strange chap
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 23rd Sep 16, 2:54 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Shrimply
    Oh you mean AndyPix says, like Simon says?

Do you actually know that Never10 is now redundant,
    It was always redundant, I stopped all the nagging to upgrade to windows 10 without installing any additional software.
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 23rd Sep 16, 3:02 PM
    • 929 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    agarnett
    It was always redundant, I stopped all the nagging to upgrade to windows 10 without installing any additional software.
    Clever you Shrimply! But not everyone is so clever, are they?

Hence Never10 seems to have had 1.9M downloads, it installs no software of its own, and as has been confirmed by the acknowledged regular experts here, there's nothing at all bad about its 83 kilobytes of cleverness
    Last edited by agarnett; 23-09-2016 at 3:04 PM.
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 23rd Sep 16, 3:10 PM
    • 2,209 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    Fightsback
    The fact that 1.9M people would rather install something than do it natively themselves is part of the reason why computer malware is so prevalent.
    And how David Icke manages to make a living, there's a sucker born every minute.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 23rd Sep 16, 3:10 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Go on, ill bite

Do you actually know that Never10 is now redundant, ?
    yes, its purpose was to stop the forced upgrade to windows 10, which has now ended
    and do you believe that the end of the Microsoft Upgrade push as you call it was the end of automatic upgrades of major parts of the W7 operating system to W10 components??
    I dont know where you have got that from, but W7 is W7 - W10 is W10 , different OS.

I don't, but you may know better. Tell us what is likely to remain unchanged under the bonnet of W7 and what is likely to get changed like it or not.
    Stuff will get changed, as vulns are discovered , they will get patched. Until W7 support ends
    Do you know how Never10 stopped the auto upgrade? ?
    Yes, and i have explained it on this forum before - do you ?
    Do you know if the "how" of Never10 might be enough to stop major OS component upgrade
    - I know that it will do what it is designed to do - Block the auto install of windows 10 . No more , no less
    Or are you guessing?
    Nope, i am using my knowledge of IT to answer your many silly questions
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

2,078Users online

Martin's Twitter