Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrWillyWonka
    • By MrWillyWonka 22nd Sep 16, 6:32 PM
    • 279Posts
    • 396Thanks
    MrWillyWonka
    Letters from previous occupiers - with a twist
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:32 PM
    Letters from previous occupiers - with a twist 22nd Sep 16 at 6:32 PM
    Hi,

We purchased our house a year ago, previously it was rented out for quite some time.

We had been getting lots of bank statements, credit cards, PINs and other bank letters addressed to a family of at least 4. They seem to have moved out 3 years ago.

Initially I RTS the letters and eventually just binned them but recently the volume of letters is ridiculous. I opened a council tax bill from another authority and it seems they have moved to another property but have registered their council tax correspondence to our address. This seems to be the same for water, car insurance and house insurance where the correspondence and living address is different.

Even more bizarre was a letter from solicitors in regards to a recent car accident claim (accident happened several months after we moved in) which was also sent here.

All this on top of not changing their bank address seems to me they do not want to register themselves at their new address.

I phoned the banks and since I am not the account holder I cannot remove my own address from their account (although I did manage it with their council tax and water bill).

I'm stuck here and concerned something fishy is going on. Any advice?
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 22nd Sep 16, 6:41 PM
    • 35,959 Posts
    • 39,294 Thanks
    G_M
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:41 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:41 PM
    If it's fishy

1) it's not your busines and
    2) you can't prove what kind of fish it is

Either

3) keep binning
    4) RTS
    5) write to each sender yourself, enclosing the letter, and explain they don't live there
    6) include their new address if you know it (though this is, not fishy but, dodgy).
    • marksoton
    • By marksoton 22nd Sep 16, 7:03 PM
    • 15,808 Posts
    • 35,426 Thanks
    marksoton
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:03 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:03 PM
    2) you can't prove what kind of fish it is
    Originally posted by G_M
    It's a load of carp. Trust me.
    I'm an idiot troll. Apparently...
    • MrWillyWonka
    • By MrWillyWonka 22nd Sep 16, 8:29 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    MrWillyWonka
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:29 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:29 PM
    Not my business? Well when someone is using my address for their purposes it is my business.

I have 44 letters since last Monday. Option 5 might work, although phoning them clearly didn't.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 22nd Sep 16, 8:44 PM
    • 5,839 Posts
    • 18,556 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:44 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:44 PM
    Woah, ok, 44 letters in a week is a lot. Is it possible they have moved somewhere else on the same street and keep using their old house number by mistake? Or are there any similar addresses in your area?
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 22nd Sep 16, 8:55 PM
    • 10,281 Posts
    • 29,216 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:55 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:55 PM
    I'd be keeping a record of these unwanted letters by now - and writing back to all senders (with whatever information I had about these peoples whereabouts).

What would concern me most is if these people are doing something like taking out loans giving your address as theirs.

I think it would be wise personally to get one of those free alerts (or whatever they are called) with the Land Registry - just in case - and then you'd be informed of anything they tried in that direction.

I'd also be checking out what my credit rating is like with credit reference agencies - just in case there were any unexplained items on there.

That is an awful lot of letters that are nothing to do with you that are coming through. I was worried enough years back when I found that letters were still coming through to my house from a dud lodger I'd had for a while (ie from a catalogue company). Fortunately their surname was a very different nationality to my obviously British one (which made it easier) and I just contacted the catalogue company and explained my former lodger was obviously stealing from them and that she was nothing to do with me and told them what contact details I had for her and never heard anything further from them.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 22-09-2016 at 8:58 PM.
    For every person that tells you you are overthinking - there will be at least one commending you on being "two steps ahead"/planning well/etc.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 22nd Sep 16, 8:59 PM
    • 49,931 Posts
    • 41,611 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:59 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:59 PM
    Return to sender.

Short term pain but will ultimately resolve the situation.
    A man is rich who lives upon what he has. A man is poor who lives upon what is coming. A prudent man lives within his income, and saves against a rainy day.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 22nd Sep 16, 9:55 PM
    • 14,822 Posts
    • 13,042 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:55 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:55 PM
    You could employ a tracing agency to try to track them down.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 22nd Sep 16, 10:01 PM
    • 11,182 Posts
    • 10,502 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:01 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:01 PM
    Not my business? Well when someone is using my address for their purposes it is my business.

I have 44 letters since last Monday. Option 5 might work, although phoning them clearly didn't.
    Originally posted by MrWillyWonka
    Actually it's not
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 22nd Sep 16, 10:27 PM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 2,742 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    Have been in the exact same situation - RTS worked for me.

Handy as there was a post box literally next door! Used to take a bundle every day on my way to work...
    Drives - MG ZT-T CDTi Auto
    Owns - Nothing, yet! House hopefully in a few years
    Gluten free as of 11/06/14!
    • konark
    • By konark 22nd Sep 16, 10:48 PM
    • 673 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    konark
    If someone was using my address for their dodgy dealings then I'd make it my business to help those they are deceiving to nail them.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 22nd Sep 16, 10:55 PM
    • 4,183 Posts
    • 5,861 Thanks
    deannatrois
    It is a bit unnerving. I remember getting two lots of letters opening a new bank account at two separate addresses I lived in (a couple of years after I moved in) and thought hmm, this is fishy. But I RTS and eventually they stopped arriving. We are talking years though.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 22nd Sep 16, 11:57 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    Cakeguts

Originally posted by MrWillyWonka
    Does it seem to you that you are getting more letters from various places that have your address on them or have they always been coming from the same kind of place and you have just got more of them recently?

I am wondering if it might be worth taking the bank letters into the relevant bank with proof of your name and address and asking them to do something about not sending any more letters that are not addressed to you?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 23rd Sep 16, 12:09 AM
    • 18,416 Posts
    • 10,333 Thanks
    xylophone
    I have 44 letters since last Monday.
    More Harry Potter than Willy Wonka?
    • anselld
    • By anselld 23rd Sep 16, 7:15 AM
    • 4,705 Posts
    • 4,158 Thanks
    anselld
    What's the twist? Seems the same as all the other previous occupier's mail threads.
    • wildheart83
    • By wildheart83 23rd Sep 16, 7:57 AM
    • 694 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    wildheart83
    If it's a sudden influx of letters they might have had a RM redirection set up which has come to an end and not realised? I would RTS, I wouldn't waste time going to the bank etc
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 23rd Sep 16, 8:10 AM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 2,285 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    Does it seem to you that you are getting more letters from various places that have your address on them or have they always been coming from the same kind of place and you have just got more of them recently?

I am wondering if it might be worth taking the bank letters into the relevant bank with proof of your name and address and asking them to do something about not sending any more letters that are not addressed to you?
    Originally posted by Cakeguts

It won't be worth it. How does proving that you live somewhere prove that someone else doesn't also live there?

People with different names are allowed to live at the same address.
    • MrWillyWonka
    • By MrWillyWonka 23rd Sep 16, 10:47 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    MrWillyWonka
    I think it would be wise personally to get one of those free alerts (or whatever they are called) with the Land Registry - just in case - and then you'd be informed of anything they tried in that direction.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Thanks for that info, just looked into it and sounds good. so signing up! So far my credit checks are as they should be.

What's the twist? Seems the same as all the other previous occupier's mail threads.
    Originally posted by anselld
    The twist is they moved out over 3 years ago and are opening up new bank accounts and credit cards using my address. Strangely, I'm getting the associated credit cards and PINs so they obviously cannot be using it!

It won't be worth it. How does proving that you live somewhere prove that someone else doesn't also live there?

People with different names are allowed to live at the same address.
    Originally posted by Rain Shadow
    Unfortunately that is very much so true.

I suppose best option is to have an MSE bonfire this November? Should have enough letters by then to burn.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 23rd Sep 16, 10:55 AM
    • 2,829 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    I would RTS rather than binning; the institutions need to know they're sending stuff to the wrong address and increasing the possibility of ID fraud. If they have a car registered to your address you may get the plod knocking in the middle of the night to chase up involvement of that vehicle reg in an accident (happened to friends of mine).

I would print a load of labels with "NOT AT THIS ADDRESS SINCE YEAR X" in large bold letters to save you having to write it each time.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • dsdhall
    • By dsdhall 23rd Sep 16, 11:09 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    dsdhall
    not known at this address - return to sender

Never failed for me.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/post/post/problems-with-post/stop-getting-someone-elses-post/

and you really shouldn't be opening someone else's post even if it is coming to your address. And unless you have a 'reasonable excuse' for doing so, you're breaking the law.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,595Posts Today

8,172Users online

Martin's Twitter