Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Catman7
    • By Catman7 22nd Sep 16, 6:10 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Catman7
    New application for a DRO
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:10 PM
    New application for a DRO 22nd Sep 16 at 6:10 PM
    Can anybody please answer these questions I have regarding my DRO

1) at the moment i owe about 500ish rent arrears due to signing on benefits a few years ago and i pay some off it every month if I included this in my DRO can I be evicted from my flat and what happens to the arrears owing

2) a debt company is chasing me for a old debt that's not on my credit report anymore can they still do this and can i included this in my DRO

May have more questions later on but thank you
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:38 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:38 PM
    Hi Catman

I've given some brief answers as I'm about to knock off for the day but will check back in tomorrow.

1) at the moment i owe about 500ish rent arrears due to signing on benefits a few years ago and i pay some off it every month if I included this in my DRO can I be evicted from my flat and what happens to the arrears owing
    Originally posted by Catman7

Have these arrears been the subject of court action and a Suspended Possession Order? If so, it could be arranged for you to continue affordable payments (of no more than £50 per month) towards the arrears in order to prevent eviction.

If there has been no court action, then the arrears would simply be treated as per the other debts in your DRO.

2) a debt company is chasing me for a old debt that's not on my credit report anymore can they still do this and can i included this in my DRO
    Originally posted by Catman7

If the debt is over six years old and you've not paid it or made written contact in that time, it may now be "statute barred" in which case it would be unenforceable in the courts. It doesn't automatically stop debt companies trying to chase it.

If in doubt, yes, you should include it in your DRO - better to be on the safe side.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    Last edited by National Debtline; 22-09-2016 at 6:40 PM.
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • Catman7
    • By Catman7 23rd Sep 16, 10:13 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Catman7
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:13 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:13 AM
    Hi Catman

I've given some brief answers as I'm about to knock off for the day but will check back in tomorrow.

Have these arrears been the subject of court action and a Suspended Possession Order? If so, it could be arranged for you to continue affordable payments (of no more than £50 per month) towards the arrears in order to prevent eviction.

If there has been no court action, then the arrears would simply be treated as per the other debts in your DRO.

If the debt is over six years old and you've not paid it or made written contact in that time, it may now be "statute barred" in which case it would be unenforceable in the courts. It doesn't automatically stop debt companies trying to chase it.

If in doubt, yes, you should include it in your DRO - better to be on the safe side.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    Originally posted by National Debtline

No court action just a letter to state failure to pay will result in court action etc and thank you I will include it just to be on the safe side
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,546Posts Today

7,071Users online

Martin's Twitter