Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 22nd Sep 16, 5:31 PM
    • 99Posts
    • 33Thanks
    n1guy
    Landlord giving us the run around?
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:31 PM
    Landlord giving us the run around? 22nd Sep 16 at 5:31 PM
    We moved into this house in October 2015 after we had an issue in our previous house with the oil tank splitting and the landlord wouldn't fix it which I think I posted about on here.

Anyway when we moved into our new house the landlord told us there was an issue with a valve in the boiler when meant the hot water ran out the overflow but that he would have it fixed soon.

Soon after moving in we also discovered half the radiators didn't work and couldn't be bled as the bleeding screws had their heads taken off. We contacted the landlord again told the plumber would be out soon to fix all.

Fast forward to almost a year later and still nothing fixed. Now the landlord has been in touch a few times over the year and any time he calls he starts off with "Ah I'm still waiting on the plumber, he's busy but will get in touch soon" then he continues on with what he's looking. He has given us the run around for a year now, what is it with landlords? Thats twice now we have been stung.

Any ideas on what to do?
Page 1
    • marksoton
    • By marksoton 22nd Sep 16, 5:44 PM
    • 15,808 Posts
    • 35,426 Thanks
    marksoton
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:44 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:44 PM

Any ideas on what to do?
    Originally posted by n1guy
    Find somewhere else to live. It won't improve.
    I'm an idiot troll. Apparently...
    • G_M
    • By G_M 22nd Sep 16, 6:42 PM
    • 35,965 Posts
    • 39,301 Thanks
    G_M
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:42 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:42 PM
    * Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new protection (2015)
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 22nd Sep 16, 6:50 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:50 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:50 PM
    Tell him there is a flood and need a plumber

Has the gas safety even been done?
    • fishpond
    • By fishpond 22nd Sep 16, 7:29 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    fishpond
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:29 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:29 PM
    All above and look for somewhere else.
    Trust me, when I say there are some very good Ll's out there.
    I am a LandLord, so there!
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 22nd Sep 16, 11:12 PM
    • 653 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:12 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:12 PM
    Find somewhere else to live and don't look for the biggest house at the cheapest rent.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 22nd Sep 16, 11:18 PM
    • 8,370 Posts
    • 10,981 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:18 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:18 PM
    You could move or you could escalate it to environmental health or do the repairs yourself and deduct the money from your rent (providing you following the correct process to the letter otherwise you'll just end up !!!! creek without a paddle) since your tenancy started on or after 1st October 2015 and are, to some extent, protected from retaliatory evictions.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_private_lets/landlord_refusing_to_do_repairs

I'm assuming that as this has been ongoing for almost a year you have WRITTEN (ink, paper, stamp) to your landlord at the address for the serving of notices given in your tenancy agreement at least once already.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • cells
    • By cells 22nd Sep 16, 11:41 PM
    • 4,983 Posts
    • 3,998 Thanks
    cells
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:41 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:41 PM
    In your shoes I would have the work done and deduct the amount from the rent. Keep the invoices and try to use someone competitive. I dont see why the landlord would be against that and should thank you for sorting it out.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 23rd Sep 16, 6:37 AM
    • 2,137 Posts
    • 1,336 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 23rd Sep 16, 6:37 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 6:37 AM
    In your shoes I would have the work done and deduct the amount from the rent. Keep the invoices and try to use someone competitive. I dont see why the landlord would be against that and should thank you for sorting it out.
    Originally posted by cells

Bad idea, withholding rent gives the LL a reason to evict and start CCJ proceedings which could ruin your credit file.

Letter before action and then involve the CAB for your options and eventually taking to court

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_private_lets/landlord_refusing_to_do_repairs
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 23rd Sep 16, 7:29 AM
    • 8,370 Posts
    • 10,981 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Bad idea, withholding rent gives the LL a reason to evict and start CCJ proceedings which could ruin your credit file.

Letter before action and then involve the CAB for your options and eventually taking to court

Originally posted by csgohan4

Not necessarily. Tenants can carry out the repairs themselves and deduct the money from the rent as long as they follow the correct process which is in the Shelter link than both you and I provided. As long as that exact process was followed a Section 8 notice could be defended against as well as any arrears the landlord tried to take the tenant to court over because there wouldn't really be arrears.

I don't really see the point of involving CAB. Escalating the repairs to Environmental Health would probably be more affective. If I wanted advice about housing I'd choose Shelter over CAB.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

2,078Users online

Martin's Twitter