Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 22nd Sep 16, 5:29 PM
    • 164Posts
    • 23Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Morrisons first 'big four' supermarket to offer 10% discount for students
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:29 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Morrisons first 'big four' supermarket to offer 10% discount for students 22nd Sep 16 at 5:29 PM
    University students will be able to get 10% off their weekly food shop at Morrisons for the next three months...
    Read the full story:
    'Morrisons first 'big four' supermarket to offer 10% discount for uni students'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 1
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 22nd Sep 16, 5:40 PM
    • 31,132 Posts
    • 184,690 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:40 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:40 PM
    It shows "ordinary" shoppers are paying far too much then as ultimately they are paying for subsidising students - no wonder Morrisons ditched brand match.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 22nd Sep 16, 7:52 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:52 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:52 PM
    Nice to know Morrisons amongs others discriminate against the majority of their customers.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 22nd Sep 16, 10:40 PM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 1,143 Thanks
    robin58
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:40 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:40 PM
    Be interesting how this would work in where I live.

Since the My Local store in my town centre was sold off to the idiots who then went belly up, the nearest Morrisions is about 5 miles away from the University in my town.

We all know that most students will not travel that far.

The next Morrisons (about 10 mils away from me ) is near a college about a mile away, it will do better.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 23rd Sep 16, 9:00 PM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 3,474 Thanks
    Kite2010
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:00 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:00 PM
    Sounds a bit more long-winded than the Co-Op NUS offer where the discount comes on when you swipe the NUS card.

Although sadly not available for those on OU courses it looks like
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 23rd Sep 16, 11:01 PM
    • 9,609 Posts
    • 17,204 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:01 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:01 PM

Although sadly not available for those on OU courses it looks like
    Originally posted by Kite2010
    It most certainly is! I'm an OU student with both an NUS card and the UNiDAYS app, I've used the app successfully many times and I plan on using the 10% discount when OH and I go and do our weekly shop tomorrow. Many OU students who don't have an NUS card for whatever reason use the app, it's been discussed many times on the OU student forums.
    What am I letting myself into Proud sponsor of a prop for the 16/17 season- welcome Mr W
    Thrilled and proud to have met my hero 13 and 15/05- thanks Fran!
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    Always Team V xx
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 24th Sep 16, 3:35 PM
    • 9,609 Posts
    • 17,204 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    • 24th Sep 16, 3:35 PM
    • 24th Sep 16, 3:35 PM
    Just back to report that there's absolutely no problem with OU students getting their discount. OH and I saved £10 on a £100 shop- we visited a branch that's very near two universities so the assistant was clued up on the discount. OH was very pleased with the saving I also used the UNiDAYS app in H&M and saved £4 on a hoodie I had been coveting for ages
    What am I letting myself into Proud sponsor of a prop for the 16/17 season- welcome Mr W
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    Always Team V xx
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 24th Sep 16, 5:25 PM
    • 20,469 Posts
    • 40,379 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 24th Sep 16, 5:25 PM
    • 24th Sep 16, 5:25 PM
    Nice to know Morrisons amongs others discriminate against the majority of their customers.
    Originally posted by treboeth
    Time to vote with your feet, and avoid the "big 4": Aldi and Lidl offer much better value.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 25th Sep 16, 12:27 AM
    • 679 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 25th Sep 16, 12:27 AM
    • 25th Sep 16, 12:27 AM
    Time to vote with your feet, and avoid the "big 4": Aldi and Lidl offer much better value.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Aldi,Lidl,Farmfoods and Tesco (when they send me money off vouchers ) are my main shops, Morrisons are a sometimes for fruit&veg.

My parents shop their twice a week spending about £100 a week and as pensioners get no discounts from them.
    Unfortunately they are not like me, I go where the bargains are

Thats why I joined MSE
    • Pound
    • By Pound 10th Oct 16, 9:39 PM
    • 2,541 Posts
    • 1,222 Thanks
    Pound
    Has the offer been pulled? I can no longer see it.

• mightyroyals
    • By mightyroyals 11th Oct 16, 10:20 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    mightyroyals
    I was just.thinking.the same when I went to pop in earlier. I cannot see anything official anywhere though
    CashBack earned to date - £1244-58
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 11th Oct 16, 11:08 PM
    • 9,609 Posts
    • 17,204 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Nope- I used it successfully in the West Denton branch in Newcastle on Friday afternoon. It's being trialled for 3 months- not advertised in store and you have to search on the app but definitely still live.
    Always Team V xx
    • Pengi904
    • By Pengi904 5th Nov 16, 8:53 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pengi904
    Seems to have disappeared from the app. Has this been discontinued before the end of the 3 months does anyone know?
    • Pound
    • By Pound 5th Nov 16, 4:54 PM
    • 2,541 Posts
    • 1,222 Thanks
    Pound
    Seems to have disappeared from the app. Has this been discontinued before the end of the 3 months does anyone know?
    Originally posted by Pengi904
    I saw they posted on Facebook that they had pulled the offer, but another post stated they're still running the promotion but limiting it to the first 1,000 customers from each Monday.

• MCGONIS
    • By MCGONIS 6th Nov 16, 2:14 AM
    • 605 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    MCGONIS
    I am totally against this. When I was a student, I had more available cash than I have now. Also these free bus passes to OAP's should be restricted.
    • omidaverde
    • By omidaverde 9th Nov 16, 10:41 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    omidaverde
    I can't imagine they will keep this up for long - our local Morrisons is right next to campus and heaps of students shopped there. Their profits margins would suffer without the benefit of bringing in any extra customers as they all shopped there anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

275Posts Today

1,314Users online

Martin's Twitter