Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • babyblade41
    • By babyblade41 22nd Sep 16, 5:16 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 4Thanks
    babyblade41
    your advise is needed if poss please with a p/t job with Hermes
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:16 PM
    your advise is needed if poss please with a p/t job with Hermes 22nd Sep 16 at 5:16 PM
    I was offered a small part time job delivering parcels for 2 days a week with Hermes. I asked about insurance and whether I need to contact my insurer. I was told as I have a van I already have commercial van insurance which I do.

When I called my insurance company to check they said I would need courier insurance and the quote was astronomic, I tried a few others and they were the same.

Can this be right as if so then most of the delivery drivers would be driving illegally as it would cost me to do the job.

Is there a way round it legally , the rep did say they could offer a top up insurance but this would still cost way too much.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 22nd Sep 16, 5:19 PM
    • 29,808 Posts
    • 14,025 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:19 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:19 PM
    See if Hermes have any deals with an insurer or broker, and ask the other drivers where they get their cover from.
    • babyblade41
    • By babyblade41 22nd Sep 16, 6:22 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    babyblade41
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:22 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:22 PM
    Thanks for the reply and the round I'm taking over said they don't have courier insurance which seem across the board . After speaking to my insurance company apparently it's pretty common and as most are part time fitting around the kids they are unaware that it's illegal
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 22nd Sep 16, 7:39 PM
    • 19,515 Posts
    • 11,973 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:39 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:39 PM
    Alternative Insurance did my friends van Insurance for his courier work, they did the cheapest quote (By a long way) and the best cover / excess.

Edward is good.

https://www.alternativeinsurancebrokers.co.uk/
    • Iateallthepies
    • By Iateallthepies 22nd Sep 16, 10:40 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Iateallthepies
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:40 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:40 PM
    They offer a 'top up" cover which provides courier cover third party only and you must prove you have the correct level of cover (certificate of motor insurance) or you will automatically be included on this policy. Being third party it des not cover your vehicles damage even in the event of a non fault accident.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

741Posts Today

5,533Users online

Martin's Twitter