Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jps71
    • By jps71 22nd Sep 16, 5:09 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 15Thanks
    jps71
    Paypal
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:09 PM
    Paypal 22nd Sep 16 at 5:09 PM
    Hi Guys

I hope this is in the right section.
    I always associate paypal with ebay so decided to post here.

Paypal have limited my account so basically I can do nothing with it.
    The reason they have limited it is because they now want photographic proof of who I am eg driving licence & a utility bill as proof of address.
    I have had an account with them for approx 20 years used mainly for purchases on ebay & have my bank account linked to them for drawing funds if needed..
    There is only £2.47 in the account, I phoned them to say I was not willing to send them these details & for them to transfer the £2.47 to my account & then to close the account.
    I was told I could not do this until I sent them the details they requested.
    I told them I thought this was theft as the courts have not asked them to freeze my account,
    I do not wish to supply them with copies of my personal documents,
    So if they would not let me have my money & close the account then they are using their own rules to steal from me unless I submit to their wishes.
    Are they legally allowed to do this?
    If not is there anywhere I can copy details from to prove they are breaking the law/banking regulations whatever by doing this.

Hope some one can advise.
    Cheers Jim
Page 1
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 22nd Sep 16, 5:39 PM
    • 3,865 Posts
    • 3,391 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:39 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:39 PM
    If you never want to use PayPal again and don't mind losing £2.47 then just ignore them. If you (or anyone in your household) wants to use PayPal again then you need to supply the details.

Financial providers have to make sure their accounts are not being used for fraudent purposes. What would you prefer? You are asked to provide a copy of your driving licence, or someone uses your name to commit frauds to earn a few hundreds of thousand pounds and this follows you around for years?

You could always employ a barrister and fight your case in the court of human rights. You never know you may win and get your £2.47 without providing proof of ID
    • campdave
    • By campdave 22nd Sep 16, 7:47 PM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 1,779 Thanks
    campdave
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:47 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:47 PM
    =
    If not is there anywhere I can copy details from to prove they are breaking the law/banking regulations whatever by doing this.
    Originally posted by jps71
    No, because they're not breaking the law.
    • jps71
    • By jps71 22nd Sep 16, 8:02 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    jps71
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:02 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:02 PM
    Fair enough I will lose the £2.47
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 24th Sep 16, 8:28 PM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 24th Sep 16, 8:28 PM
    • 24th Sep 16, 8:28 PM
    Fair enough I will lose the £2.47
    Originally posted by jps71
    Which will restrict buying/selling on ebay?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

114Posts Today

1,397Users online

Martin's Twitter