Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • d541
    • By d541 22nd Sep 16, 4:09 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    d541
    University mattress
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:09 PM
    University mattress 22nd Sep 16 at 4:09 PM
    Hi,

I'm at university (Bristol) and my room came with a cheap springy non-supportive single mattress. I've slept on it for a few nights and it won't do - I get back/neck ache every time.

I'm going to need a new mattress or a topper (if they will help with this type of mattress).

My budget is around 100 and I must be able to get it delivered vacuum packed/rolled. Anybody know what my options are, people say cheap ones from amazon loose shape within 6 months and I'll need it for one year.
Page 1
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 22nd Sep 16, 4:20 PM
    • 3,093 Posts
    • 2,480 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:20 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:20 PM
    Unfortunately you will get what you pay for with a mattress - a good one is not cheap.

But perhaps something like this ? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Relief-Memory-Mattress-Support/dp/B01ELNJMNM/ref=sr_1_11?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1474557399&sr=1-11&keywords=memory%2Bfoam%2Bmattress&th=1

Last year we bought a memory-foam mattress from Amazon. It wasn't cheap, but is very comfortable - and it was delivered rolled and vacuum-packed. You need to unpack it and let it "breathe" for 24 hours when you first get it so that it gets into it's proper shape.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Rodders53
    • By Rodders53 22nd Sep 16, 5:45 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Rodders53
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:45 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:45 PM
    Why not discuss the problem with your Landlord?

They may be happy to supply an alternative mattress for you to try before you have to resort to buying your own?
    • d541
    • By d541 22nd Sep 16, 6:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    d541
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:09 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:09 PM
    It's university owned dorms, doubt they'd let all the students request new matresses
    • WobblyDog
    • By WobblyDog 22nd Sep 16, 6:24 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    WobblyDog
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:24 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:24 PM
    There's an Ikea in Bristol that sells a number of single-size mattress toppers for under £100. I'm guessing one of those could be carried on a bus. I haven't tried them, but the "Sultan Hamnvik" mattress I bought from them a few years ago (with some kind of integrated topper) is very comfortable.
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 22nd Sep 16, 6:46 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    Bogalot
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:46 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:46 PM
    It's university owned dorms, doubt they'd let all the students request new matresses
    Originally posted by d541
    You need to check they will allow you to get your own. I know some will not due to fire regulations.

(I'm not suggesting you would buy anything that is not fire retardant, but they need to be sure you are not creating a hazard. Also if they let you do it they'll need to allow others also.)
    • esmy
    • By esmy 22nd Sep 16, 8:36 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 1,264 Thanks
    esmy
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:36 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:36 PM
    If you're near an Ikea and have a car (or a mate with one) have a look in their bargain corner. I've had 2 decent quality mattresses from them for half the shop floor price. Check Ikea sizes and that it will fit on your base.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 22nd Sep 16, 8:49 PM
    • 2,052 Posts
    • 4,219 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:49 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:49 PM
    You need to check they will allow you to get your own. I know some will not due to fire regulations.
    Originally posted by Bogalot
    General approach is don't tell them! I bought a ton of stuff from home when I was living in university accomodation at Bristol Uni (the inaginitively named "University Hall" off Parrys lane, between Badock and Hiatt Baker) , including electrical equipment that had not been PAT tested and doubtless all sorts of other terrible rule breaking things. No-one said a word. Not even when we moved our own freestanding freezer into the kitchen as the fridge freezer the university provided was too small for five people.

Which hall are you in OP?
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • d541
    • By d541 22nd Sep 16, 11:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    d541
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:45 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:45 PM
    General approach is don't tell them! I bought a ton of stuff from home when I was living in university accomodation at Bristol Uni (the inaginitively named "University Hall" off Parrys lane, between Badock and Hiatt Baker) , including electrical equipment that had not been PAT tested and doubtless all sorts of other terrible rule breaking things. No-one said a word. Not even when we moved our own freestanding freezer into the kitchen as the fridge freezer the university provided was too small for five people.

Which hall are you in OP?
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    I'm in RT!
    Great apart from this mattress and the bloody shower curtain
    Could also do with another fridge (1 between 6) but I think as work piles people will cook less.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

196Posts Today

1,690Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • If you know you're bust you must declare it asap. So no firm ever says "yes we plan to go insolvent". So you never? https://t.co/w8aIKOqHzq

• Some people misreading... it's NOT the rumours of insolvency of the Monarchy! Its Monarch airlines (again tho I've no idea of its validity)

• Also re #monarchinsolvency rumours it's important to state Monarch are firmly denying it... https://t.co/N27MENRjY9

• Follow Martin