Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • amneshia
    • By amneshia 22nd Sep 16, 3:50 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 1Thanks
    amneshia
    Insuring a car which isn't mine
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:50 PM
    Insuring a car which isn't mine 22nd Sep 16 at 3:50 PM
    Right, basically, my girlfriend/partner is going to or will get a car from her company benefits scheme for me. On the application form it states the REGISTERED KEEPER will be the car benefits scheme and the LEGAL OWNER will be my girlfriend.

Is it possible to insure this in my name? I have used comparison sites and it's gave us a quote but I don't want to go ahead and buy it if it's illegal or some sort?

I know it would be a whole lot easier to get the insurance in her name but it's expensive.

Any help will be appreciated!
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 22nd Sep 16, 4:06 PM
    • 29,814 Posts
    • 14,031 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:06 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:06 PM
    You will need to explain to your chosen insurer the circumstances, and see if they are happy (usually you need an "interest" in the car to be able to insure it) - though make sure your gf's employer is happy that the car won't be insured by her.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 22nd Sep 16, 4:23 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 920 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:23 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:23 PM
    Also check the scheme conditions. There may some ting that says the car must be insured by the person who gets it from the scheme and possibly must be the main driver.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,338Posts Today

7,213Users online

Martin's Twitter