Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SingerN
    • By SingerN 22nd Sep 16, 3:19 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SingerN
    Bought a car for too much then it was stolen!
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:19 PM
    Bought a car for too much then it was stolen! 22nd Sep 16 at 3:19 PM
    Hi everyone

I've come on here for some advice, please. I bought a car last Thursday (15th Sep) and paid in full for it on my credit card (£1400 + £200 warranty). They serviced, MOT'd it and fitted a new battery and I was supposed to be picking it up on Monday but it wasn't ready due to an issue with the keys so I picked it up on Tuesday evening.

On Tuesday, I drove the car to the park and ride for work and left it there during the day. The car was then stolen. My insurance company have said that the trade value of the car is only £600 and they will only pay out £500 after my £100 excess has been taken off. I've asked them to reconsider.

I've contacted the garage I bought it from and they're insisting they asked a fair price for it and said that those kind of cars retail at £1995 usually! Even when I sent them screen shots of similar cars from Auto Trader showing a price of £650, they still said they paid fairly. I've asked them to either reimburse me £700 which is fair and will mean I can buy another similar car or find a similar car for me at no extra cost. They're refusing so far so I've given them a couple of days to think about it.

I've checked trading standards for cars and it states I have a right to expect to buy a car for a reasonable price. I know I should have checked the price of the car before buying but my previous car just gave up the ghost on me and I needed one desperately for a new job. I trusted the garage to give me a fair deal.

What do you think my options are? Do you think I have a chance at a small claims court?
Page 1
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 22nd Sep 16, 3:23 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    caprikid1
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:23 PM
    Forget the Garage
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:23 PM
    The garage is never going to refund you a penny.

If you can go and get a car for £650 then take the payout add £150 and be back in the same position ?

The insurance company has done their Job hasn't it ? Put you back in the same position as you were pre theft.

The garage is never going to give you a penny.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 22nd Sep 16, 3:29 PM
    • 8,136 Posts
    • 5,236 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:29 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:29 PM
    Surely this can't be for real.

OP buys a car, immediately has it stolen, then expects the car dealer to refund him the difference between what the insurer is offering and what he paid originally. You're having a laugh, nobody's going to do that.

You're entitled to market value, that's all, if you paid over the odds in the first place then I'm afraid that's your own fault.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 22nd Sep 16, 3:43 PM
    • 8,224 Posts
    • 5,894 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:43 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:43 PM
    What year, make and model, please?
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 22nd Sep 16, 3:46 PM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 2,493 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:46 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:46 PM
    This ^^^^

OP, think of it like this. I offer to sell you a bag of jelly-babies for £28.73. You'd say to me "On yer bike, I can get a bag from Asda for 89p". Of course, if you accepted my offer and paid me £28.73 for them, I'd be well chuffed.

Sorry, the garage has done nothing wrong - well, nothing legally wrong, one could perhaps argue over their morals if one wished. And insurance companies will always only ever pay out the "market value" for a stolen or written-off car. If you believe their valuation is wrong it's down to you to convince them of the true market value of it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's how it is.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 22nd Sep 16, 3:55 PM
    • 14,823 Posts
    • 13,042 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:55 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:55 PM
    The garage is never going to refund you a penny.

If you can go and get a car for £650 then take the payout add £150 and be back in the same position ?

The insurance company has done their Job hasn't it ? Put you back in the same position as you were pre theft.

The garage is never going to give you a penny.
    Originally posted by caprikid1
    You've forgotten that the OP bought it using a credit card, so has £1400 to pay off in addition to buying a new car.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 22nd Sep 16, 3:58 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 1,659 Thanks
    tykesi
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:58 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:58 PM
    Hi everyone

I've come on here for some advice, please. I bought a car last Thursday (15th Sep) and paid in full for it on my credit card (£1400 + £200 warranty). They serviced, MOT'd it and fitted a new battery and I was supposed to be picking it up on Monday but it wasn't ready due to an issue with the keys so I picked it up on Tuesday evening.

On Tuesday, I drove the car to the park and ride for work and left it there during the day. The car was then stolen. My insurance company have said that the trade value of the car is only £600 and they will only pay out £500 after my £100 excess has been taken off. I've asked them to reconsider.

I've contacted the garage I bought it from and they're insisting they asked a fair price for it and said that those kind of cars retail at £1995 usually! Even when I sent them screen shots of similar cars from Auto Trader showing a price of £650, they still said they paid fairly. I've asked them to either reimburse me £700 which is fair and will mean I can buy another similar car or find a similar car for me at no extra cost. They're refusing so far so I've given them a couple of days to think about it.

I've checked trading standards for cars and it states I have a right to expect to buy a car for a reasonable price. I know I should have checked the price of the car before buying but my previous car just gave up the ghost on me and I needed one desperately for a new job. I trusted the garage to give me a fair deal.

What do you think my options are? Do you think I have a chance at a small claims court?
    Originally posted by SingerN
    Ha ha ha how generous of you.............

I thought the schools had gone back now?

• foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 22nd Sep 16, 4:08 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:08 PM
    I was supposed to be picking it up on Monday but it wasn't ready due to an issue with the keys so I picked it up on Tuesday evening.
    Maybe they were busy getting a second set cut and coded !!

Your options are finding similar cars/spec and give them to your insurers as advice of market value. They shouldnt be giving you trade money.

What was the car and spec - maybe you overpaid, did you do research before buying it?
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 22nd Sep 16, 4:08 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    Car 54
    Hi everyone

On Tuesday, I drove the car to the park and ride for work and left it there during the day. The car was then stolen.
    The car was collected on Tuesday evening, and then driven to park for the day on Tuesday? Presumably a typo for Wednesday?

So it was stolen on Wednesday, and a day later the insurers have made an offer. Is that normal? Don't they usually wait for a few days in case it's recovered? Or is there someone out there stealing £650 cars for export to rich Arabs?

We're in the dark, but it probably doesn't matter.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 22nd Sep 16, 4:30 PM
    • 19,538 Posts
    • 11,984 Thanks
    dacouch
    You're in luck.

As you recently purchased the car, your Insurer should pay you the amount you paid unless they can prove that the value you paid was incorrect.

Ignoring the above, the Insurer should pay the retail value you would pay at a dealer and not the trade value.
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 22nd Sep 16, 4:44 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    ratrace
    this is a wind up right?
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 22nd Sep 16, 4:50 PM
    • 11,258 Posts
    • 9,539 Thanks
    AdrianC
    You're in luck.

As you recently purchased the car, your Insurer should pay you the amount you paid unless they can prove that the value you paid was incorrect.
    Originally posted by dacouch
    Because, of course, there's absolutely zero scope for fraud there, is there...?
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 22nd Sep 16, 5:12 PM
    • 7,479 Posts
    • 11,075 Thanks
    worried jim
    I thought the schools had gone back.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 22nd Sep 16, 5:13 PM
    • 2,588 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    we still want the make model and year OP
    • marlot
    • By marlot 22nd Sep 16, 5:38 PM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    marlot
    ...My insurance company have said that the trade value of the car is only £600 ...
    You need to point out that the insurance company should be offering you retail price.

If you search the ombudsman site, I believe they should reimburse the price you paid, unless that price was outrageous [insurance fraud].

Nothing to do with the dealer you bought from. Unless they're the ones who nicked it, of course.
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 22nd Sep 16, 5:47 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    Hi everyone

... I picked it up on Tuesday evening.

On Tuesday, I drove the car to the park and ride for work and left it there during the day. The car was then stolen.
    So it was stolen before you collected it which means you bought a stolen car. I'd report this.
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 22nd Sep 16, 5:49 PM
    • 2,588 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    we still want the make model and year OP
    Originally posted by consumers_revenge

Cmon let us know what it is?

( unless you haven't bought it yet and are checking how the scenario might work out??? )
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 22nd Sep 16, 5:58 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 1,484 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Even when I sent them screen shots of similar cars from Auto Trader showing a price of £650, they still said they paid fairly.
    So why did you buy one for over twice the price if you'd seen them cheaper on Autotrader?
    • ffacoffipawb
    • By ffacoffipawb 22nd Sep 16, 7:44 PM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    ffacoffipawb
    Cmon let us know what it is?

( unless you haven't bought it yet and are checking how the scenario might work out??? )
    Originally posted by consumers_revenge
    I suspect it's a Yaris ... 😄😄
    • waamo
    • By waamo 22nd Sep 16, 8:12 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    waamo
    I wonder if the OP will ever return? It's amazing how many people who ask strange questions never seem to come back.
    David Cameron. What a swine.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

397Posts Today

4,062Users online

Martin's Twitter