Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mikey28
    • By mikey28 22nd Sep 16, 3:04 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mikey28
    Jsa
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:04 PM
    Jsa 22nd Sep 16 at 3:04 PM
    I recently applied for Jsa for the first time, I live with my partner though she does not want to claim any benefits, I was told despite this she still has to attend my interview next week and provide identification.
    I don't know why she has to attend as I have stated right from the beginning of my claim that I was only claiming for myself and not as a couple.
    My partner is not in employment and doesn't have any savings.
    Any help or advice would be very welcome as I mentioned this is my first ever time trying to claim any benefits.
    Many thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 22nd Sep 16, 3:09 PM
    • 14,947 Posts
    • 26,897 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:09 PM
    If she isn't working and you won't be claiming for her, what'll she be living on?
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 22nd Sep 16, 3:09 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    Bogalot
    If you are claiming based on your NI Contributions only she does not need to be a party to the claim.

If you do not have sufficient contributions then you will need to claim as a couple and she will be expected to seek work (unless there is good reason for her to be exempt).
    • mikey28
    • By mikey28 22nd Sep 16, 3:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mikey28
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:41 PM
    Jsa
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:41 PM
    MissBiggles
    She has family who she relies on to provide for her hence her not wanting to claim.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 22nd Sep 16, 3:56 PM
    • 9,768 Posts
    • 11,497 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:56 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:56 PM
    You will have to face up to the fact that the DWP cannot cope with situations like these. You have a partner and therefore her income and savings will be taken into account as regards any claim for you as a couple. If she is your partner then you cannot claim an income based benefit without taking into account her circumstances.

(If this is a contribution based claim then you can make this as a single applicant.)

Any financial support that she gets is (as far as the DWP is concerned) is for both of you in an income based claim. For all they know she could be
    working cash in hand.

You could try explaining that she is supported by her parents with letters from parents as evidence but, to be honest, I am not sure whether they would consider this money for both of you as you are living as a couple.

The DWP do not accept that when two people are living together they have separate finances. As far as they are concerned when you live together you are treated as man and wife with any income/savings being for both of you.
    • Londonsu
    • By Londonsu 22nd Sep 16, 7:22 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    Londonsu
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:22 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:22 PM
    You will have to face up to the fact that the DWP cannot cope with situations like these. You have a partner and therefore her income and savings will be taken into account as regards any claim for you as a couple. If she is your partner then you cannot claim an income based benefit without taking into account her circumstances.

(If this is a contribution based claim then you can make this as a single applicant.)

Any financial support that she gets is (as far as the DWP is concerned) is for both of you in an income based claim. For all they know she could be
    working cash in hand.

You could try explaining that she is supported by her parents with letters from parents as evidence but, to be honest, I am not sure whether they would consider this money for both of you as you are living as a couple.

The DWP do not accept that when two people are living together they have separate finances. As far as they are concerned when you live together you are treated as man and wife with any income/savings being for both of you.
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo

Nor should they
    • konark
    • By konark 22nd Sep 16, 10:14 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    konark
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:14 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:14 PM
    I had a single claim when I was married as my wife did not live with me. We were not estranged, she lived abroad. So I think the residency status is more important than marital status. However, it is also possible to live in the same house and be regarded as separate entities if say, you were mother and adult child or brother and sister.

TBF I can't see why the DWP don't let you just claim just for yourself (as long as your wife isn't working) as it would save them money.
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 22nd Sep 16, 11:34 PM
    • 1,441 Posts
    • 2,239 Thanks
    dippy3103
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:34 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:34 PM
    You just need to make it clear that you are claiming for contribution based JSA only and do not wish to apply for income based. Then you can claim just for you!
    • Londonsu
    • By Londonsu 23rd Sep 16, 1:09 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    Londonsu
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:09 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:09 AM
    You just need to make it clear that you are claiming for contribution based JSA only and do not wish to apply for income based. Then you can claim just for you!
    Originally posted by dippy3103

You can only get C based or a certain amount of time (think its 6 months) after that it has to be income based and partners income must be taken into account, I have a lot more reason than most to think it 'unfair' having worked for 46 years I would only ever get C based JSA because my husband has a state pension based on 45 years of paying NICs and not opting out of serps and a small private pension that we gave up a lot to pay into, but of course that puts us over the amount the DWP say a couple need to live on (and not by much) so I would get nothing at all after the C based had finished , I totally accept that, and if I can accept that I fail to see why other people have a problem with it
    Last edited by Londonsu; 23-09-2016 at 1:12 AM.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 23rd Sep 16, 11:50 AM
    • 18,475 Posts
    • 10,396 Thanks
    xylophone
    All the above makes me wonder how Child Benefit appears to be the only benefit where the income of both parties is not taken into account?

I gather that CB is lost or reduced where one person earns over £50,000 pa but that each person could earn £49999 pa and the same would not apply?

Is there any logic in this?
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 23rd Sep 16, 12:38 PM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 1,931 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    All the above makes me wonder how Child Benefit appears to be the only benefit where the income of both parties is not taken into account?

I gather that CB is lost or reduced where one person earns over £50,000 pa but that each person could earn £49999 pa and the same would not apply?

Is there any logic in this?
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Nope.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,549Posts Today

4,778Users online

Martin's Twitter