Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kimbyanne
    • By kimbyanne 22nd Sep 16, 2:51 PM
    • 244Posts
    • 250Thanks
    kimbyanne
    Someone has taken a loan out using my address
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:51 PM
    Someone has taken a loan out using my address 22nd Sep 16 at 2:51 PM
    I have just had a letter from "Provident" thanking me for taking out a loan with them. The letter is using my address but a random name, not a name I recognise.

It appears to be a cash loan that was taken out a couple of weeks ago. Judging from the website, it's a cash in hand type thing which makes it more concerning as to how my address is being used!!

I called Provident who said they will investigate but is there anything else I can do?

Our house is a new build, we have lived here since it was built so it's not a previous occupier.

I am really not happy as I do not want some sky high APR loan company being on any of my credit reports.

Any ideas? Worth going to the police?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 22nd Sep 16, 2:53 PM
    • 8,673 Posts
    • 8,502 Thanks
    zx81
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:53 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:53 PM
    It won't be on your credit files. Credit belongs to individuals, not houses.

Send it back to the company, telling them the person doesn't live at your address.
    • kimbyanne
    • By kimbyanne 22nd Sep 16, 3:05 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    kimbyanne
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:05 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:05 PM
    Should not be concerned that it's a "doorstep" lender who has my address? I don't get how the loan was set up using my address as they have never been to my house (and never will!!)
    • zx81
    • By zx81 22nd Sep 16, 3:10 PM
    • 8,673 Posts
    • 8,502 Thanks
    zx81
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:10 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:10 PM
    No. Everyone has your address. It's not a secret. It's on the postal address file. What they don't have is a credit agreement in your name.

Someone has either used your address or there has been a system error.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 22nd Sep 16, 3:11 PM
    • 27,176 Posts
    • 17,250 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:11 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:11 PM
    Should not be concerned that it's a "doorstep" lender who has my address? I don't get how the loan was set up using my address as they have never been to my house (and never will!!)
    Originally posted by kimbyanne
    Let Provident sort that out.

Luckily the loan isnt in your name.

Have you by any chance had any other post for the person concerned ?
    Last edited by DCFC79; 22-09-2016 at 3:54 PM.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • Gaz83
    • By Gaz83 22nd Sep 16, 3:25 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 6,093 Thanks
    Gaz83
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:25 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:25 PM
    Should not be concerned that it's a "doorstep" lender who has my address?
    Originally posted by kimbyanne
    Everyone has your address.
    Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,747Posts Today

7,475Users online

Martin's Twitter