Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 22nd Sep 16, 2:00 PM
    • 795Posts
    • 119Thanks
    littlerock
    AA van backed into my car in queue at traffic lights
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:00 PM
    AA van backed into my car in queue at traffic lights 22nd Sep 16 at 2:00 PM
    I was sitting in a traffic queue at the lights around 10 days ago behind an AA VW van. In front of the AA van, at the red lights at the front of the queue, was a car. The lights changed and the car did not move off. After a couple of minutes the owner of the stalled car, opened their passenger door and the passenger waved at the AA van. The driver of the AA van then got out and walked round to the stalled car.

Next thing to my horror was that the AA van started to roll backwards and it hit my car. The AA driver had forgotten to secure his hand brake. My handbrake was on so I did not roll into the car behind. I jumped out to take a photo on my phone but before I could do so, the car at the lights had managed to restart and moved off, as did the AA van who did not even realise he had rolled back into me.

I ran after him and told him what had happened and he stopped round the corner. He did not deny he had rolled back and hit my car. He filled in an accident report form of which he gave me a summarised copy. I asked to see what it said which was basically that his handbrake had failed to secure and his van had rolled back into my car hitting my number plate. My summarised copy of the incident excluded the accident description.

Afterwards looking at my car I could see rubber marks and some light scratches on the front of my car, at the same height at his bumper. There was nothing on it to my knowledge beforehand. This was not on his report.

In due course I was contacted by a risk assessor for the AA insurers who arranged for their subcontractor to call round to assess my car this morning. He sent me a text first thing saying he would be around between 10 and 11 am so I waited in. Next thing was a note in my front door saying he had inspected the car. I texted him to ask why he had not knocked and he then called me and rather sheepishly replied that he had knocked but got no reply, which I doubt. He did not text me to say he had no reply to his knock although I had arranged to be in this morning when he came.

He said he had fully inspected and documented the possible damage to my car which would be reported back to the main risk assessor by the end of the week.

To be honest the damage is not that significant. My only concern in all this is that no one at any stage has asked me for my account of what happened. Should they have? Obviously any claim will be on the AA's insurance who have not denied liability.
    Last edited by littlerock; 22-09-2016 at 2:12 PM.
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 22nd Sep 16, 2:10 PM
    • 11,178 Posts
    • 10,501 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:10 PM
    Well so far they've accepted liability, so wait and see what they offer
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 22nd Sep 16, 2:10 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    m0bov
    I gather you report it to your insurance? I would get round to your local trusted bodyshop for a quote, or smart repaired. Then send them a copy of the quote. Otherwise just let your insurance deal with it, I would also report it to the Police as he failed to stop at the scene.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 22nd Sep 16, 2:16 PM
    • 3,533 Posts
    • 2,856 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:16 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:16 PM
    [...]I would also report it to the Police as he failed to stop at the scene.
    Originally posted by m0bov
    That's a little ott seeing as the OP seems to be confident that the guy genuinely didn't realise it had happened and did sop and take appropriate actions as soon as he was made aware.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 22nd Sep 16, 4:49 PM
    • 11,209 Posts
    • 9,497 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:49 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:49 PM
    My only concern in all this is that no one at any stage has asked me for my account of what happened. Should they have?
    Originally posted by littlerock
    <shrug> Why?

The AA guy's stuck his hands up and said it's his own fault...
    Obviously any claim will be on the AA's insurance who have not denied liability.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 22nd Sep 16, 7:00 PM
    • 795 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    littlerock
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:00 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:00 PM
    Well the AA guy did not originally show me his accident report, only when I asked to see it, and then it only mentioned the damage to my number plate, not the rubber marks and scratches on my front wing which I saw later. (We were on a busy main road and could not park for long as we were causing a traffic queue).

If the person who has been hit is not shown the accident report made by the person doing the hitting, even if they admit liability they may wish to play down the extent of the damage. Doesn't the other party get to give their side of the incident?.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 22nd Sep 16, 8:02 PM
    • 10,430 Posts
    • 8,421 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:02 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:02 PM
    If the person who has been hit is not shown the accident report made by the person doing the hitting, even if they admit liability they may wish to play down the extent of the damage. Doesn't the other party get to give their side of the incident?.
    The assessor has been to see the car and gives the details of the damage? A driver isn't really in the position to say how badly damaged their car is and if there is no dispute on liability why would insurance need to speak to you?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 22nd Sep 16, 8:17 PM
    • 4,845 Posts
    • 2,274 Thanks
    rs65
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:17 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:17 PM
    Well the AA guy did not originally show me his accident report, only when I asked to see it, and then it only mentioned the damage to my number plate, not the rubber marks and scratches on my front wing which I saw later. (We were on a busy main road and could not park for long as we were causing a traffic queue).

You seem to be looking for problems that don't exist. Seems AA are doing the right thing and the process to repair your car is underway.
    • rich13348
    • By rich13348 22nd Sep 16, 8:47 PM
    • 594 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    rich13348
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:47 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:47 PM
    Well if they don't give a satisfactory response go through your insurance and have them claim off AAs insurance
    • Sooler
    • By Sooler 23rd Sep 16, 9:18 AM
    • 2,804 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    Sooler
    To be honest the damage is not that significant.
    Put it down to wear and tear. Forget it and move on.
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 23rd Sep 16, 10:31 AM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    To be honest the damage is not that significant. My only concern in all this is that no one at any stage has asked me for my account of what happened. Should they have? Obviously any claim will be on the AA's insurance who have not denied liability.
    The assessor is not there to find out your side of the story, they have the facts from their driver and sent out an assessor to assess your car.

What is the damage, a £10 number plate and a rubber mark?
  • The AA Company Representative
    I was sitting in a traffic queue at the lights around 10 days ago behind an AA VW van. In front of the AA van, at the red lights at the front of the queue, was a car. The lights changed and the car did not move off. After a couple of minutes the owner of the stalled car, opened their passenger door and the passenger waved at the AA van. The driver of the AA van then got out and walked round to the stalled car.

Next thing to my horror was that the AA van started to roll backwards and it hit my car. The AA driver had forgotten to secure his hand brake. My handbrake was on so I did not roll into the car behind. I jumped out to take a photo on my phone but before I could do so, the car at the lights had managed to restart and moved off, as did the AA van who did not even realise he had rolled back into me.

I ran after him and told him what had happened and he stopped round the corner. He did not deny he had rolled back and hit my car. He filled in an accident report form of which he gave me a summarised copy. I asked to see what it said which was basically that his handbrake had failed to secure and his van had rolled back into my car hitting my number plate. My summarised copy of the incident excluded the accident description.

Afterwards looking at my car I could see rubber marks and some light scratches on the front of my car, at the same height at his bumper. There was nothing on it to my knowledge beforehand. This was not on his report.

In due course I was contacted by a risk assessor for the AA insurers who arranged for their subcontractor to call round to assess my car this morning. He sent me a text first thing saying he would be around between 10 and 11 am so I waited in. Next thing was a note in my front door saying he had inspected the car. I texted him to ask why he had not knocked and he then called me and rather sheepishly replied that he had knocked but got no reply, which I doubt. He did not text me to say he had no reply to his knock although I had arranged to be in this morning when he came.

He said he had fully inspected and documented the possible damage to my car which would be reported back to the main risk assessor by the end of the week.

Hello, we'd really like the opportunity to address this. Please email the details including your full name and contact number to chat@theaa.com reference FOR191209 and we'll arrange for someone to contact you to discuss this. Kind Regards
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of The AA. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Hintza
    • By Hintza 23rd Sep 16, 2:58 PM
    • 18,545 Posts
    • 12,819 Thanks
    Hintza
    I would also report it to the Police as he failed to stop at the scene.
    Not just OTT; totally absurd comment. The AA guy did not realise his van had rolled back and he stopped as soon as it was brought to his attention.
    Truth is like poetry. Most people don't like poetry!
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 24th Sep 16, 11:53 AM
    • 795 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    littlerock
    Really it was an momentary oversight by the AA patrol, he stopped as soon as I addressed him and no major damage done. I do not want to take it any further and have no intention of involving the police. I shall not be contacting the AA. I consider the matter closed.

I WAS surprised that there was no stage in the accident reporting procedure where I was asked for my account of what happened or would have been shown the other person's account if I had not asked.

I have an interest in this process from another incident.My nephew, who is a chef, (who finds it hard to get car insurance due to his job) was sitting in his car in a traffic jam, when another car further back in the queue decided to pull out and drive up the hard shoulder to escape the jam.. Around the same time the car in front of him decided to do the same thing, they collided and hit his car. He had to get to work and left it with the breakdown service and his insurance company.

Two days later, he got a call from a firm which reclaims car write offs, asking for his registration papers, as they had been advised by his insurance company that they could take possession of his car as it was a write off. (It was a VW Golf). This was the first he knew about it.

It turned out both the other drivers had blamed each other and his insurance company had written his car off and signed it over to another company as a write off, before anyone at all had contacted him.

Surely in an accident where one party is at fault, even if they admit it, there should be an opportunity for the driver sitting in the car which was hit, to give his or her account? If you only ask the person who caused the accident, even if they own up, they have an incentive to minimise the accident and damage. In my nephew's case he was entirely the innocent victim but never asked for his account by any of the insurance companies involved, even his own, although his car was written off.
    Last edited by littlerock; 24-09-2016 at 11:55 AM.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 24th Sep 16, 11:58 AM
    • 795 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    littlerock
    Re AA : I do not wish to take it any further and consider the matter closed.

My query here was really about a general point of procedure in the reporting of no fault accidents, not about taking up my own case.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 24th Sep 16, 3:49 PM
    • 11,209 Posts
    • 9,497 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I WAS surprised that there was no stage in the accident reporting procedure where I was asked for my account of what happened
    The other person stuck their hands up and said "Yep, all my fault". What would your account add to that which will change the liability?

I have an interest in this process from another incident.My nephew, who is a chef, (who finds it hard to get car insurance due to his job) was sitting in his car in a traffic jam, when another car further back in the queue decided to pull out and drive up the hard shoulder to escape the jam.. Around the same time the car in front of him decided to do the same thing, they collided and hit his car. He had to get to work and left it with the breakdown service and his insurance company.

Two days later, he got a call from a firm which reclaims car write offs, asking for his registration papers, as they had been advised by his insurance company that they could take possession of his car as it was a write off. (It was a VW Golf). This was the first he knew about it.
    That's a very different kettle of fish. That's a question of the extent of the damage versus the value of the vehicle, not one of liability. He was claiming from his own insurer, so the Ts & Cs of the contract he has with them say they get to decide if his car's viable to repair or not. Liability is merely a question of who pays the final bill.
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 25th Sep 16, 7:11 AM
    • 6,803 Posts
    • 7,514 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    OP, can you comps firm that you have informed your own insurance company haven't you?
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • Laurie Sicard-Askey
    • By Laurie Sicard-Askey 25th Sep 16, 8:02 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Laurie Sicard-Askey
    Yes, there's no requirement of an AA technician to be a good driver, only that they're competent at fixing motor vehicles.
    There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

Donald Rumsfeld
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 25th Sep 16, 9:03 AM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    cjdavies
    I would also report it to the Police as he failed to stop at the scene.
    Yes let's waste Police time and resources.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,980Posts Today

7,768Users online

Martin's Twitter