Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rotarucosminleonard
    • By rotarucosminleonard 22nd Sep 16, 1:56 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rotarucosminleonard
    IT licensing
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:56 PM
    IT licensing 22nd Sep 16 at 1:56 PM
    Hello!
    I finished University of Automatics and Electronics in Romania. I also worked as IT technician in a company during the university. I have experience with hardware, software. Computers, networking, electronics,security sistems(alarms, surveillance) gates,solar systems, marketing, remote support, solutions.

Here I cant find something in IT. I see that I meed som licensing. How should I start? What do you recommend me?

Some government supported licensing or something?
Page 1
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 22nd Sep 16, 3:49 PM
    • 14,823 Posts
    • 13,042 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:49 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:49 PM
    You are applying for a job in the UK?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • directdebiter
    • By directdebiter 25th Sep 16, 10:54 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    directdebiter
    • 25th Sep 16, 10:54 PM
    • 25th Sep 16, 10:54 PM
    Hello!
    I finished University of Automatics and Electronics in Romania. I also worked as IT technician in a company during the university. I have experience with hardware, software. Computers, networking, electronics,security sistems(alarms, surveillance) gates,solar systems, marketing, remote support, solutions.

Here I cant find something in IT. I see that I meed som licensing. How should I start? What do you recommend me?

Some government supported licensing or something?
    Originally posted by rotarucosminleonard
    This makes zero sense. Just so you know.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 26th Sep 16, 9:02 AM
    • 12,475 Posts
    • 10,590 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 26th Sep 16, 9:02 AM
    • 26th Sep 16, 9:02 AM
    There is no licencing. You need to start by looking for helpdesk roles, tier 1, answering phones and following scripts. That'll open it all out to you.
    • bluesnake
    • By bluesnake 26th Sep 16, 9:42 PM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    bluesnake
    • 26th Sep 16, 9:42 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 9:42 PM
    If you have the skills, people do not care from where you come from. In the UK you need experience, and certs can be quite useful. Also people need to be able to understand you.

Firstly you have to pick hardware/software. Then your area telephony, networking, servers, databases, programming.....

Then choose a role you are able to do, helpdesk support, design, architect...., but make sure you are able to do it and can prove your ability. We have had more than one CV from a part-time cook that uses windows at home and wants a 50k job.

As you progress, you normally acquire certificates, these with skills normally mean more money. A big company would probably ITIL, then A+ for helpdesk, mcp for support, mcsa for server work and DB work (but different exam subjects). Each area has their own prefered cert path like http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/learning/certification-overview.aspx

One of the highest paying quals is CCIE, but some developers even beat this £600+ a day. Generally networking has always paid quite well, but other jobs can pay ok.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 26th Sep 16, 11:55 PM
    • 9,407 Posts
    • 7,367 Thanks
    prowla
    • 26th Sep 16, 11:55 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 11:55 PM
    I think you mean certifications.

As for the above re. CCIE, it may be short-term and even very competitive now or real soon, as Cisco are just laying off loads of staff.

I would think it would be an idea to think about what field of IT you'd like to get into: development, desktop support, server support, networking, operations, engineering and so-on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,067Posts Today

6,050Users online

Martin's Twitter