Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wordsfan
    • By wordsfan 22nd Sep 16, 1:47 PM
    • 306Posts
    • 68Thanks
    wordsfan
    Old tv needs upgrading
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:47 PM
    Old tv needs upgrading 22nd Sep 16 at 1:47 PM
    I have currently a V old big back tv. Which I've been using with a free sat box (can't get freeview where I am currently).

But it's not working. I'm not sure if the problem is the tv or the free sat box, but the thing is (did I mention it's VERY old?!) The tv only has scary connection no HDMI or USB connection available so I thought at first just get a new box but it seems it's no longer possible to get boxes with scary connectivity.

So looks like I'm gonna have to get a new tv. Issues are

I'm not made of money! So needs to be budget price, I haven't bought a new tv in over 15 years and I nearly had a heart attack at current prices!!

Although I'm currently a free sat person as I rent and am likely to move in next few years I may end up somewhere where I need freeview rather than free sat. I am not technically minded and Google as hard as I can I cannot find if a free sat tv can also do freeview and vice versa.

Not essential but considering cost it would also be nice if we could watch catch up, YouTube, Netflix and possibly other digital streaming on it too.

So...can anyone advise? In very simple terms please?
Page 1
    • wordsfan
    • By wordsfan 22nd Sep 16, 1:48 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    wordsfan
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:48 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:48 PM
    Oh for crying out loud! Told you I wasn't technical SCART connections not SCARY ones (though I am wary of the whole thing!!)
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 22nd Sep 16, 3:30 PM
    • 8,546 Posts
    • 3,440 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:30 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:30 PM
    Back of my TV is quite scary.

A lot of the Smart TVs will get catchup content via the internet .
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 23rd Sep 16, 1:13 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:13 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:13 PM
    The TV I bought for nearly 800 three years ago, would cost about 350 now (if that). New TV's are cheap cheap cheap. What you probably don't need is a 4k ultra HD all singing/dancing thing, which is why the non-4k TV's are so cheap, but don't rule them out if you can afford them - future proofing to a degree.
    As JJ says, smart TV's will have built in players - you just press the smart button and your choice of apps is there. I have an LG tv and it has BBC I-player, C5, youtube, Now TV, and a few others. You could get a non-smart TV which might be cheaper, and get a box to connect to the TV with the apps in. My youview box has more catch up services than my TV. Swings and roundabouts.
    Your starting point would be - budget, screen size, apps you want (not all TV makers have the same apps built in), and whether you want smart tv or non-smart. If your old TV is something like a 37 inch, then a new 42 inch screen won't be a bigger unit as pretty much all new TV's have little edge around the screen.
    Have a look round - somewhere like Currys is a good place to go and look at a range of TV's, see what's available in your price range, find out about the different brands and what you like. Don't necessarily buy from them (usual shop around and use vouchers etc.) Price isn't everything, and I usually go for the better known brands, but mine has 3d built in so for me it was a choice between a Samsung and LG, but there's lots more available.
    The TV's normally have freeview built in - which is good when you move. If your freesat box is kaput, then you might have change that as well - never used freesat so not my area, but presumably a freesat box wouldn't cost much. There may be TV's around with freesat built in.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 23rd Sep 16, 1:39 PM
    • 6,389 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    almillar
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:39 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:39 PM
    What size? What budget? If you want the smart stuff (and not all smart TVs have all smart services - All4 and 5OD, for example could be missing from some), you need a decent internet connection. And if you don't want a network cable to your TV, you'll want a WiFi one.
    Is this Freesat box a recorder? Does it have an HDMI output?
    Have you made sure that the scary SCART connections are secure at both ends, or given them a wiggle?
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 23rd Sep 16, 3:38 PM
    • 6,771 Posts
    • 6,920 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 23rd Sep 16, 3:38 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 3:38 PM
    You can get freesat boxes with scart connections on Ebay - either used or new old stock - for about 20 - 30.
    Wins and Freebies: ττhραṡτε, τεα-τώεl
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 23rd Sep 16, 6:05 PM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 3,110 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 23rd Sep 16, 6:05 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 6:05 PM
    Going for one of the little known cheap brands isn't the economy it appears to be, as there are often reports of them going wrong not long after the end of warranty (arguing not fit for purpose isn't as effective as with 'big' brands ) ; these warranty periods being very short compared to the 5-7 years from the likes of Panasonic (my favoured brand).
    • datlex
    • By datlex 23rd Sep 16, 6:51 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    datlex
    • 23rd Sep 16, 6:51 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 6:51 PM
    If you are buying new always check out John Lewis, they have a policy of never being beaten on price for the same item elsewhere. Like was said previously budget is important. Also if you have a 15 year old TV chances are the screen is not very big.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 23rd Sep 16, 9:46 PM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 3,110 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:46 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:46 PM
    If you are buying new always check out John Lewis, they have a policy of never being beaten on price for the same item elsewhere. Like was said previously budget is important. Also if you have a 15 year old TV chances are the screen is not very big.
    Originally posted by datlex

Richer Sounds have the same policy and often have special offers of demo, open box or reconditioned tvs.. Registering for VIP emails also gets an extra 10 off the price.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,747Posts Today

7,475Users online

Martin's Twitter