Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jack84
    • By jack84 22nd Sep 16, 1:34 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 28Thanks
    jack84
    Is housing benifit still paid if I sign off?
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:34 PM
    Is housing benifit still paid if I sign off? 22nd Sep 16 at 1:34 PM
    update.
    Thanks to all, its been established you can claim HB based on nil income while recieving no other benefits, as it is purely a means tested benefit that is separate to all other benefits run by the local authority NOT the dwp.
    Last edited by jack84; 25-09-2016 at 9:30 PM.
Page 2
    • jack84
    • By jack84 22nd Sep 16, 6:28 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    jack84
    Thanks again for all the help everyone
    • Londonsu
    • By Londonsu 22nd Sep 16, 7:16 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    Londonsu
    What scheme did the JC want to put you on the 'help to work scheme' where jsa claimants were mandated to work for free in places like poundland was scrapped and no longer exists
    • jack84
    • By jack84 22nd Sep 16, 7:28 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    jack84
    Hi again. thanks for help
    Last edited by jack84; 25-09-2016 at 9:29 PM.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 22nd Sep 16, 7:45 PM
    • 5,085 Posts
    • 3,858 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    I believe housing benefit is based on income and savings. Ask your council if it will be paid if your are not claiming jsa.

If you are not willing to work in poundland ask for an alternative.
    Too cool for school. Also too old for school.
    • Londonsu
    • By Londonsu 22nd Sep 16, 8:03 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    Londonsu
    to nannytone

I cant win can I?

Here I am trying to save the state money , and use as little money as possible by signing off, and yet it seems you would be happier if I took money I donít need from the dwp??

my kids are well clothed and eat very well, my partner and I try and teach them good values in life and one of them is not to be materialistic, The extra money we would receive from dwp is not big enough to make a decent impact on our future goal of buying a big house, I have suggested I would be signing off as a relief from anxiety to see if that helps me find a job, just for 3 months.

Your not at all helpful, and you have made a nasty comment about me - so I have reported you to the moderators. I hope you loose your account so that you will be unable to spit your evil at genuine people just asking for help.

we always put our kids first and we are lucky to have a big family to help, they have every need cared for.

Who will be the next person to bash me for being at the bottom of the working class? ( wasnít so long ago I was a high earner ) and will be again shortly I hope. I would never stoop that low you should be ashamed of yourself - what a bitter person you must be.
    Unbelievable.

to londonsu...
    Yes your right, Its not mandatory but that does not stop them asking me all the time. tbh, It might be worth asking for a different advisor as a last ditch try. I think he calls it the community work experience? He has tried tricking me into agreeing to do it many times, He got quite angry with me last time for refusing and dreading going back there.
    Originally posted by jack84

But if its not mandatory you cant be sanctioned for not doing it so why are you saying "in fear of sanction because you disagree with him about the 'help' working at poundland will offer you?"

If he did in actual fact say you will be sanctioned of you don't comply then you can make a complaint, if you are just assuming you will be sanctioned with no evidence that you will be are you using this assumption as the basis of your 'fear and anxiety'
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 22nd Sep 16, 8:12 PM
    • 10,790 Posts
    • 7,246 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    To answer the original question: if you receive income-based JSA then that fact is all the information that the council need in order to pay you Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit. If you stop receiving income-based JSA then you would need to make a new claim for these two benefits. Councils generally take their time processing such claims, and after all that there is no guarantee that the claim would succeed. Having said that, I have been in the situation that you are considering where my entitlement to JSA had ceased and rather to my surprise my local Council did rapidly decide to give me these benefits until I could re-establish a claim to JSA.
    • jack84
    • By jack84 22nd Sep 16, 8:12 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    jack84
    Londonsu

I can relate to what you are suggesting and it does make sense that it is in my head. Its just that he has the buttons on he,s keyboard to accidentally stop my payment if he gets angry enough! That is probably just paranoia, but all the same, the authority feel of the situation is difficult for an introverted person like myself.

I think generally ( perhaps incorrectly ) My advisor seems to feed of my fear / anxiety and many others too judging by the shakes he generates from other clients having to sit with him while signing on - very Gestapo!

I get your point though and you are right.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 22nd Sep 16, 8:19 PM
    • 10,790 Posts
    • 7,246 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    A more constructive way forward is to manage the relationship with the Job Centre so that it actually fits in with your way of looking for work....

Find some kind of voluntary work that you find worthwhile: once you are volunteering for a charity the pressure to do unpaid work ("mandatory work activity") will be greatly reduced or perhaps removed completely.

I also suggest that you have a session with a careers advisor. The careers service varies from place to place so I don't know what will be available in your area, but find out. Best of all would be if you could get the Job Centre to refer you to someone. A discussion with a proper adviser can be very useful, about both the kind of work you should be trying to get and about strategies for finding work that are more intelligent than pestering local agencies. Part of such a discussion would be considering the skills that you would need, and ways to demonstrate such skills, and worthwhile voluntary work would fit in to this.

So: once you have a new plan for getting work (including developing skills, voluntary work to demonstrate those skills, and sensible ways to look for jobs) you can go back to the job centre, with the support of the adviser, and do a completely new job-seeker's agreement so you are no longer obliged to do useless and stupid things. At that point it would also be good to ask for a different adviser.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 22nd Sep 16, 8:20 PM
    • 13,188 Posts
    • 31,755 Thanks
    elsien
    How do they know what CV you're using? Just use yours if you think it's better, and don't tell them. Having said that, maybe get some independent advice to check - my CV that was fine a few years ago is very old fashioned in its layout now, because what employers are looking for in a CV has changed.
    Are you personalising it to each job?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 22nd Sep 16, 8:22 PM
    • 10,790 Posts
    • 7,246 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    . Its just that he has the buttons on he,s keyboard to accidentally stop my payment if he gets angry enough! That is probably just paranoia, but all the same, the authority feel of the situation is difficult for an introverted person like myself.
    A lot of that is paranoia: he can press buttons to recommend a sanction, but someone higher up has to make the decision. Claimants have a right to appeal, and too many successful appeals would be very bad for him.
    • jack84
    • By jack84 22nd Sep 16, 8:29 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    jack84
    I did not come here to be told what’s moral or not. I just wanted a question to be answered.
    Last edited by jack84; 25-09-2016 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • jack84
    • By jack84 22nd Sep 16, 8:49 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    jack84
    Ill take the help on board, and report the silly people who think its ok to make nasty comments about somebodies situation . And helpfull people...... please keep helping Your the people making this forum great
    Last edited by jack84; 25-09-2016 at 10:27 PM.
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 22nd Sep 16, 8:50 PM
    • 14,912 Posts
    • 26,831 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    Most people who are bringing children up properly on a low income will need to spend every penny of their child related benefits to ensure that their children live a life full of experience and opportunity.

I don't really see much difference between smoking and drinking this money (and obviously there are parents who do this) and using it to buy the parents' food and pay the utilities - both are a misuse of public money and a way of cheating the children.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 23-09-2016 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Quoting edited post
    • jack84
    • By jack84 22nd Sep 16, 9:02 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    jack84
    I agree with that, and so had a change of heart.
    Last edited by jack84; 25-09-2016 at 10:28 PM.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 22nd Sep 16, 9:42 PM
    • 18,465 Posts
    • 10,390 Thanks
    xylophone
    Yes, I am content to be looked after by the state for a temporary period,
    But surely the point is that if you are fit to work ( which appears to be the case) then you should be gainfully employed?

You indicated that you would easily find a job if you put your mind to it!

Benefits aren't there to enable you to make a lifestyle choice to live on state support while you consider your options!
    • Celifein
    • By Celifein 23rd Sep 16, 10:58 AM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 4,898 Thanks
    Celifein
    do you think thats going to help you? loosing a lot of your jobseeking time working for nothing? Or do you think its going to make you dread seeing the same work coach every week in fear of sanction because you disagree with him about the 'help' working at poundland will offer you?
    I'd like to second Voyager's recommendation re: voluntary work. I was on JSA for about a year. I got a handful of interviews, but no offers, so I started volunteering. I then started getting a lot more interviews and ended up with two job offers to choose from, so it turned out to be an excellent use of my "jobseeking time". Employers are wary of people who have been unemployed for a long time and voluntary work shows that you're still able to work, so your work coach may be right about it helping you get a job.
    "Numbers don't lie, but humans using numbers lie all the time." (Welcome to Night Vale)
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 23rd Sep 16, 5:31 PM
    • 11,332 Posts
    • 16,388 Thanks
    nannytone
    i received a warning today.
    apparently the OP reported me for saying that they should be using their children benefits in order to avoid fulfilling their job seekers agreement.

how people get so offended by the truth amazes me
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 23rd Sep 16, 5:55 PM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    Mersey
    To be fair, nannytone, as well as that post, I recall you said the OP, "was being less than honest." I assume that's the post that breached the rules, as it's been removed from this thread.

Opinions are fine. Accusing OPs of dishonesty would breach MSE rules.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 23rd Sep 16, 6:30 PM
    • 11,332 Posts
    • 16,388 Thanks
    nannytone
    To be fair, nannytone, as well as that post, I recall you said the OP, "was being less than honest." I assume that's the post that breached the rules, as it's been removed from this thread.

Opinions are fine. Accusing OPs of dishonesty would breach MSE rules.
    Originally posted by Mersey
    no it wasn't, because the offending post was quoted.

and the 'less than honest' remark was in response to the OP saying that they were coming off JSA to 'save the taxpayer money', when they had already stated that they didn't want to comply with the job seekers agreement
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 24th Sep 16, 1:38 AM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    Mersey
    Ah, so two of your posts on this thread breached the rules. I see now.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,583Posts Today

6,036Users online

Martin's Twitter