Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jack84
    • By jack84 22nd Sep 16, 1:34 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 28Thanks
    jack84
    Is housing benifit still paid if I sign off?
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:34 PM
    Is housing benifit still paid if I sign off? 22nd Sep 16 at 1:34 PM
    update.
    Thanks to all, its been established you can claim HB based on nil income while recieving no other benefits, as it is purely a means tested benefit that is separate to all other benefits run by the local authority NOT the dwp.
    Last edited by jack84; 25-09-2016 at 9:30 PM.
Page 1
    • Ames
    • By Ames 22nd Sep 16, 1:51 PM
    • 15,207 Posts
    • 25,760 Thanks
    Ames
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:51 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:51 PM
    I'm not sure if it's OK now, but when universal credit is rolled out and replaces tax credits you'd have to look for work and do the same things the job centre wants you to do now.

Another issue is that you wouldn't be getting national insurance credits towards your pension, which you are on JSA.

Is there no way you or your partner could get a job?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Recent reads: Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates. Headscarves and Hymens by Mona Eltahawy. Justice - What is the Right Thing To Do by Michael Sandel. Is Multiculturalism Bad For Women by Susan Moller Okin.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 22nd Sep 16, 1:57 PM
    • 5,128 Posts
    • 3,117 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:57 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:57 PM
    As you have both been unemployed for two years and are not tied to your home by a mortgage, could you not consider moving to an area where you can find work ?
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 22nd Sep 16, 1:58 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:58 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:58 PM
    JSA is a 'gateway benefit' (to HB, CTS, free prescriptions and so on), o yes, either JSA/UC or Tax Credits are usually required in order to gain these other benefits.

If you've claimed JSA for over 6 months, you would receive extended payment of both HB & Council Tax Support for 4 weeks, but it would end at that point.

You could apply direct to your local authority for HB - based on your low income - but councils usually require either JSA or a Tax Credits' claim to be live before a Housing Benefit claim will be accepted.

You can ask to vary your Claimant Commitment with the JCP, but usually I think this needs to be done within 1 month of receiving it.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • jack84
    • By jack84 22nd Sep 16, 2:03 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    jack84
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:03 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:03 PM
    deleted post
    Last edited by jack84; 25-09-2016 at 10:23 PM.
    • jack84
    • By jack84 22nd Sep 16, 2:10 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    jack84
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:10 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:10 PM
    deleted post
    Last edited by jack84; 25-09-2016 at 10:24 PM.
    • Sambella
    • By Sambella 22nd Sep 16, 2:17 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Sambella
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:17 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:17 PM
    My partner is willing to look for work also yes, so its a case of whoever gets a job first.

As for N.I contributions, We have received them for 15 years, and both have another 30 years each to get the other 15 years worth we need to be aloud the state pension as I have read you need 30 years of national insurance contribution to qualify/ be eligible, I feel confident I can find and stay in employment for 15 of those 30 years at least, so Is my partner - If universal credit comes to fruitation for couples ( I have my doubts and think it should be scrapped ) But if it does come, and when your on universal credits you wont be able to come off them, essentially, your national insurance contribution will be compulsary paid anyway! If you see what I mean by that?

So, as it stands, Its probably possible for somebody not on universal credit to do what I would like to do? and sign off, yet still get housing benefit?? I think ( correct me if I am wrong ) Housing benefit is not dependant on claiming a ,means tested benefit?? If my presumption is right, Ill be safe ( at the moment ) ! But please correct me if I am wrong because its a big decision that could get us evicted If Im wrong!!!
    Many thanks
    Originally posted by jack84
    It is now 35 years NI contributions needed.

Universal credit far from being designed to keep people on benefits is conditions and sanctions for all if you are fit for work. If you get a job paying less than the equivalent of 35 hrs on the minimum wage you may be forced to find a second job!

I'm not sure about your HB/JSA question though. If could be part of the package you have so all linked together.
    • jack84
    • By jack84 22nd Sep 16, 2:47 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    jack84
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:47 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:47 PM
    deleted sorry
    Last edited by jack84; 25-09-2016 at 10:24 PM.
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 22nd Sep 16, 2:52 PM
    • 14,827 Posts
    • 26,703 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:52 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:52 PM
    You're planning to make your family more than £110pw worse off just so you don't have to jump through hoops?
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 22nd Sep 16, 2:59 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Bogalot
    If you are within a decent distance of recruitment agencies (if you're attending each day you can't be that far away), are you really that remote? Are you open to doing any kind of work? It would be worth starting a thread on the employment board to get some help with your job search.
    • jack84
    • By jack84 22nd Sep 16, 3:17 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    jack84
    sorry again for deleting
    Last edited by jack84; 25-09-2016 at 10:25 PM.
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 22nd Sep 16, 3:21 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Bogalot
    I don't think you're odd at all, but you're a very long way from being self sustainable if you're reliant on the state for your income.
    • jack84
    • By jack84 22nd Sep 16, 3:26 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    jack84
    Yes, I agree with you. Thought we had it all figured about 7 years ago when we had our own business , it all fell apart - since then worked for a big bank - wish I never left it should have just put up with the commute

Hindsight , always too late.

Still, I reckon without jobcentre harrasment, I can find myself a decent job
    Wish me luck!
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 22nd Sep 16, 3:31 PM
    • 14,827 Posts
    • 26,703 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    Thanks for all the help, somebody mentioned above about being 110 pounds per week worse off. Yes thats true, my partner and I are happy to do this.

I have already stated, we have 50 pounds a week spare calculated as if our HB continues to be paid - furthermore, it will be 75 pound a week spare if our council tax credit also continues but thats another subject and its the rent, thats the killer!.

we have a very frugal life, we dont have a tv or watch tv on any device so no tv liscence needed, we have an extended family and get lots of handed down clothes, we have an old cheap diesel car that costs very little to run, we buy mostly value or basics grocery food and cheap essentials, we have no subscriptions and our outgoings are very little - in our opinion - less is more! There are some very smart people that choose this way of life, I bake the family bread, and make proper dinners! we dont eat junk and we all have a good life, even though I do not work at the moment, - and the only reason I want to get a job back, is to save up to buy our own house. Nothing more we are not materialistic type people - if we could, we would live off grid in a self sustainable farm - . Most would consider us 'odd' but each to there own and I think you will agree, Nobody has come here to judge? I hope! Donít judge me, and I will not judge you

I have come here for an answer, and it looks like I have found it elsewhere in a few places online anyway but Im not aloud to link threads on here .

I really appreciate the help from everyone, and somebody mentioned about a support thread for help getting a job thats a good idea thank you

If you google this -
    In Praise of The Quiet Life

a youtube video will come up which is fairly close at describing us

Thanks for all the help
    Originally posted by jack84
    £114.85 x 52 = £5,972.20.
    • jack84
    • By jack84 22nd Sep 16, 3:40 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    jack84
    your good at maths, I give you that!
    Last edited by jack84; 25-09-2016 at 10:25 PM.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 22nd Sep 16, 3:45 PM
    • 9,763 Posts
    • 11,490 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    Believe it or not claiming HB based on nil income is not that uncommon. People who are waiting for an appeal for ESA and refuse to claim JSA during the Mandatory Reconsideration period can claim HB.

However, do expect questions.

The council may want to know why you are not claiming JSA and how you are living. For all they know, you could be working and receiving cash in hand. That is why they may need some evidence.

So, you could do an income and expenditure sheet to show them how you manage and show your bank statements. They still may refuse you.

On the other hand the council may 'wave you through' and allow the HB claim.

All you can do is try!
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 22nd Sep 16, 5:01 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    Mersey
    jack84 - it isn't that a UC claim can't be closed, it's just that you don't 'sign off it' in the same way you do a JSA claim. Indeed JCP staff can't close a UC claim. A claimant has to call the UC contact centre to do this. However, you're right in that when an unemployed UC claimant starts work, the underlying UC claim remains (unless you terminate the claim). It remains live for 6 months, as a sort of failsafe that if that job ends you do not need to go through the whole process of claiming UC again online.

A UC claim does close, however, if you receive 3 months' worth of earnings above the income threshold, or if you're a self-employed UC claimant and you fail to report your earnings - in the latter case it closes after 1 month. Hope that helps explains the new system a bit, but as you suggest you're not likely to be moved across to UC for a few years yet.

As for being completely 'off the grid' and self-sufficient - it's admirable but difficult. The only people I know of who succeed at this up to a point are some communities on Scottish islands and religious groups in cities such as Plymouth Brethren who make and sell wooden toys and so on - but they do still attend state schools so they're not totally removed from the wider world.
    Last edited by Mersey; 22-09-2016 at 5:04 PM.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • NYM
    • By NYM 22nd Sep 16, 5:10 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 4,646 Thanks
    NYM
    Is it not possible to continue with the JSA requirements and to also 'do it your way' in searching for work?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 22nd Sep 16, 5:14 PM
    • 18,446 Posts
    • 10,371 Thanks
    xylophone
    Still, I reckon without jobcentre harrasment, I can find myself a decent job
    Wish me luck!
    What is it about the "harassment" that prevents your looking for a job?

Are you sure that you want a job?

It appears that with HB, CTC and CB ( and help from family members) you are quite content to go on as you are, fully supported rather than self sufficient?
    Last edited by xylophone; 22-09-2016 at 5:18 PM.
    • jack84
    • By jack84 22nd Sep 16, 5:35 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    jack84
    to xylophone.
    Directly to you.......

thanks for that
    Last edited by jack84; 25-09-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,345Posts Today

6,907Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Morning. On way to @gmb for 7:40 slot, this week warning to parents about student finance, get paid to cut debt costs, free cafe nero & more

• Follow Martin