Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • london1973
    • By london1973 22nd Sep 16, 1:24 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 10Thanks
    london1973
    more panic, more questions-groan!
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:24 PM
    more panic, more questions-groan! 22nd Sep 16 at 1:24 PM
    I posted on a previous thread re impact on utilities, mobile phone etc - just wondered if anyone else had any experience with this, i.e should I get a pay-as-you-go in advance, will SKY cease my broadband service at home, what about my car insurance etc

also I have made an appointment with my bank next week to see if they will let me keep the account, does the OR write directly to them, i.e the branch, or does it all go via a faceless bankruptcy department within the bank who just shut you down?!

finally roughly how long is it between hearing and OR meeting, is their anything one has to be particularly careful about during this period, before they officially read you riot act?

Sorry for all the questions, its all happening so quickly all of a sudden, typical!
Page 1
    • Muttipops
    • By Muttipops 22nd Sep 16, 1:41 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    Muttipops
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:41 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:41 PM
    London, you are being made bankrupt, am I correct, and not applying yourself?
    No idea , if you are, if this makes any differnece, but I can answer a couple of your questions....

The OR in my case wrote to faceless head office of Barclays informing them that the OR had no interest in my bank account and to release the balance to me, they didn't want the current account closed down. Barclays did, however; I had an inbranch interview and they said I could not continue with my standard account as it had an overdraft facility. They wanted to change me to a basic account but I politely declined.

I have no idea if for some reason you are having a hearing about your bankruptcy; mine (BR) was voluntary application and it took less that one week to be approved; in many cases it can be just one day. The application is now online and you don't attend a hearing. You have a post-approval interview, often by phone, again within a couple of days. They do not read you the riot act, they simply want to know the reasons why and are not judgmental. From application to approval you should operate your life as normal and pay the bills and do the shopping like you normally would. Be careful that you don't suddenly go on a spend, spend , spend mentality or pay back your granny the money you owe her!

Don't worry about the number of questions you ask, it's all new to you, like it was to me a couple of months ago, and very helpful and reassuring to ask on here what people's experiences are; it takes a lot of the worry and hastle out of the whole process.
    Last edited by Muttipops; 22-09-2016 at 1:44 PM.
    • worriedmamma
    • By worriedmamma 22nd Sep 16, 1:48 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    worriedmamma
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:48 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:48 PM
    I just had my barclays account closed (Standard current account with no overdraft) and cancelled all my direct debits, after telling me it was just frozen for review. The OR has said any funds can be released to me but as the account is closed I've gotta go down to the branch with my ID to withdraw!

I'm yet to see what happens with my other stuff, I think at renewal it'll cause a problem x
    • london1973
    • By london1973 22nd Sep 16, 2:05 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    london1973
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:05 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:05 PM
    thanks both, muttipops I am not self-declaring, being made bankrupt by HMRC after a long long dispute
    • Muttipops
    • By Muttipops 22nd Sep 16, 2:25 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    Muttipops
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:25 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:25 PM
    thanks both, muttipops I am not self-declaring, being made bankrupt by HMRC after a long long dispute
    Originally posted by london1973
    Thanks for that, london, I thought I had read your were on another post; you were giving some very good advice to a chap being made bankrupt for HMRC debt too; I thought at the time that it was a shame that we become experts at this sort of thing from experience; I'd rather be an expert at something else!
    • owlet
    • By owlet 23rd Sep 16, 10:45 AM
    • 1,430 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    owlet
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:45 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:45 AM
    Just make sure you have a basic bank account & it should be fine. If you don't currently have one thenopen one and get your direct debits and wages transferred to the new account. You can & should do all that now before you are made BR, it will be much easier for you.

With regard to mobile phone - you will be allowed a cheap package - maybe go sim only. Same with sky - basic package normally.
    Car insurance - you will need to tell them about your BR but wait until it happens. You will find that most insurance companies are fine with the insurance but won't allow installments.

Can I suggest you pop up your SOA on here ( not the current SOA with debt repayments but the one you will have once there are no debts) and we can advise you so that you are in the best position when the time comes?
    SPC 8 (2015) #485 TOTAL: £334.65
    SPC 9 (2016) #485
    • A4445
    • By A4445 23rd Sep 16, 10:51 AM
    • 383 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    A4445
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:51 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:51 AM
    It didn't affect my car insurance at all, I was able to pay for car insurance monthly for the whole 6 years and I was given a BRU. I even told the insurance company I was bankrupt they said the the computer was allowing instalments and not to worry.
    • wildheart83
    • By wildheart83 23rd Sep 16, 11:31 AM
    • 694 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    wildheart83
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:31 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:31 AM
    There was only one year I noticed it on the T&Cs of my car insurance policy that excluded BR, so I cancelled within cooling off period and went elsewhere. It's less common with car insurance than with home insurance I've found.

You're required to inform companies if you're borrowing more than £500 that you are BR, I'm not sure if this would apply to car insurance but worth checking if your insurance is around this amount and you plan on paying monthly.
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 23rd Sep 16, 1:44 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:44 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:44 PM
    My car insurance paperwork wanted to be notified of B.R, I rang them and no problem at all, but I do pay for the year, I always have.
    House contents a different matter altogether, my renewal was due around the time of my B.R and they told me they would not renew my policy, but I had no problem finding a company who would.
    • worriedmamma
    • By worriedmamma 23rd Sep 16, 2:49 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    worriedmamma
    I don't want to ring to tell my car insurance... think it's under 500 though... eeeek I'm scared, I pay monthly.....
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 23rd Sep 16, 5:38 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    You need to read the T and C...mine said they they would not pay out if B.R....but when I called they thanked me for letting them know and assured me all was ok.

Best to check xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,980Posts Today

7,768Users online

Martin's Twitter